Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

No Signal - Missing Channels - 6 October, 2011 (ANIK F2 Satellite Down)

41K views 134 replies 72 participants last post by  classicsat 
#1 ·
Started this thread so that people can report their findings rather than posting in various other threads...for the record, not getting any HD channels at this time myself....

#2 ·
Missing HD channels here as well. Calling Shaw Direct...

There is a message saying that SD is experiencing video problems with some of their channels and technicians are working on it. I have a feeling it is more serious than that. It could be a satellite failure. Does anyone know what actually happened?

CSR says "a transponder is down." We'll see...

#7 ·
No HD here either. Broken recordings indicate that it went out some time before midnight last night. Other are reporting the problem started about 6:30am. Shaw Direct is aware of the issue.

#15 ·
Having a look at lyngsat.com.....it's pretty clear that Anik F2 at 111.1°W is down completely, and not just the HD channels...there are a few HD channels on Anik F1R at 107.3°W that everyone should still be getting.....hopefully not, but this seems serious...

#22 ·
just called SD...."due to high call volume, we are unable to take your call"....repeats en francais....no callback options...no info...no indication that there is even a problem....which leads me to believe it's a very serious problem, otherwise, you would think the message would be along the lines of...."we are currently working at resolving the service problems and expect to be fully operational shortly"....

#25 ·
Same here in western Alberta... one of the sats is definately down. About 1:30am mountain time last night. I was watching Sportsnet and all of a sudden sig. was lost. Weirdly, I switched to TSNHD and it worked... went to bed and now TSNHD is out as well. Checked feeds from dish and at multiple receivers in the house and it seems that one sat is out of commision. I called SD but got the same recording everyone else is hearing. Funny thing is I've not been on these boards in months... ticked my dish is partially out but it's kinda' good to be back here.

#29 ·
There was a major solar flare this morning so the obvious question is, was that the cause?

#31 ·
It could be some sort of navigation failure related to the flare. A serious flare issue would likely affect more than one satellite. Chances are it got put in motion by a command error/failure or a piece of debris. Judging by the different times of failure and the time to regain control, something set it spinning and they must wait until it makes a complete revolution in order to correct the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.