Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SunTV OTA (Shutdown November 1, 2011)

44K views 186 replies 61 participants last post by  hugh 
#1 ·
Is SunTV a BDU only broadcast? It appears so! According to this SunTV webpage, they are not publishing any OTA viewing channels at all:
http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/where-to-watch-sun-news.html
Looking for Sun News Network on the dial?
Below is a list of cable and satellite providers that carry us and the channels we can currently be found on.
Shaw Digital - Channel 177

Shaw Direct - Channels 149 and 517

Rogers in Toronto - Channel 15

Rogers in Ottawa - Channels 66 or 142

Shaw Cable Hamilton - Channel 21

Cogeco Cable Hamilton - Channel 16

Videotron - Channels 79 and 679

If your provider is not listed above, call them today to request they carry Sun News Network!

#58 ·
I agree to a point. OTOH, we don't know what Quebecor is asking for SunTV or even if they want to sell. An independent broadcaster may be better off just starting from scratch instead of dealing with Quebecor or taking on 3 existing, money losing OTA transmitters.

#61 ·
Thanks for clarifying the numbers Dr. Sat

I just dont think Sun wants to sell CKXT. They want the channel placement on the BDUs.
That's pretty slim to happen when the BDU's can just reclaim that prime analog basic bandwidth and, esp considering how slim of chance that is, it's a pretty selfish reason to let an OTA signal die.

I sincerely hope that the CRTC puts the license back out for tenure when the station goes dark.

#64 ·
Quebecor was always planning on shutting down SunTV. They stated so in the CRTC application for Sun News. They effectively did so when the replaced the SunTV schedule with Sun News programming. Not sure why they left SunTV on air but I would guess it was looked upon as a transitional period while CAT2 carriage agreements were being negotiated.

#65 ·
I think its time for Quebecor to throw in the towel and admit that when it comes to English language television they haven't got a clue. They should go back to doing what they do best (French TV), both their ventures into English Canada (Sun TV & Sun News) have been a total failure IMO.

I say sell Sun News Network to Shaw Media (the only conglomerate without a news channel), they could turn it into Global News Channel. They would do a much better job as they have a built in support network with Global TV as well as Global National, their popular national newscast. Quebecor on the other hand has nothing, they are a French language company based in Quebec with all their properties being situated in that province. Sun News Network is a standalone operation and I think that is one major reason why its floundering.

#66 ·
Maybe the low quality of Sun News is intentional. It take a lot of money to support a real news channel with comprehensive news gathering. Putting a few talking heads on air doing sensational opinion pieces is relatively cheap and seems to be popular with right wing "thinkers." That way Quebecor can still make a good profit with relatively low ratings. We've seen that effect with most US news networks in recent years as the popularity of Fox news has forced them to cut news gathering staff and mimic Fox News' style of "news" reporting.

#69 ·
Seems to me there are more 'left wing' thinkers watching this channel than 'right wing' thinkers which perhaps explains all the complaints and also the lack of ratings for this channel. Not that 'right wing' thinkers wouldn't object to the same things and complain mind you. More likely they had a quick visit and found the offering to be wanting and moved on (or back) to more mainstream alternatives.

#71 ·
If Toronto had more francophones, I would say turn it into a TVA station.

Is there a rule in Canada about the amount of infomercials allowed on an OTA station? Reason I ask is many lesser known US stations in large markets have a format of infomercials and home shopping, with a few syndicated shows, plus the 3 hours of required E/I programming and a low budget public affairs show.

It's certainly not ideal, but I always hate to see an OTA go dark, no matter what it airs.

#80 ·
If Toronto had more francophones, I would say turn it into a TVA station.
Actually, Toronto and other parts of Ontario have more francophones than you think so turning the station to a TVA affiliate might not be a bad idea but it would have to be a provincial instead of a local one (i.e. TVA Ontario)

#72 ·
believe it or not, I picked up hamilton's SUN 15.1 today in Buffalo. At least I can say I saw it before it get's torn down.:)

#73 ·
Give them a chance, they will learn and improve over time. Even though I too have cringed a few times when one of the presenters or guests would veered off teachings of the Religion of Political Correctness as evangelized by the CBC, I rather get factual feedback than some of the blatant lies we are taught by the other media (including CBC). Let us just make sure that they keep to facts.

#74 ·
One thing I don't like are the antagonistic interviews that put guests on the defensive. It's just bad interviewing technique and is counterproductive. I'd rather hear what the guests have to say than listen to repeated misquotes and one sided opinions from the interviewer. In addition, it drives away many potential guests that don't want to be sandbagged in this manner. Good interviewers don't carry on like that, even if they disagree with the guest.

The other is the lack of real news reporting. Having some ex-sunshine girl make small talk and and flirt with a male co-host may be considered to be entertainment on HDNet. It's not news reporting and it's not informative, especially when it drags on for hours at a time. It's just low quality filler and does not belong on a news station.

#76 ·
Fox News in the US won a court decision that allows it to knowingly report inaccurate news (aka lies.) Canadian news stations, almost got the same right in Canada but it was vetoed by the government. Coincidentally, that decision was almost passed by the CRTC at about the same time Sun News launched. Was this coincidence or coercion? I'll let you decide.

#77 ·
NielN, Just around the Oslo bombing I picked up on two lies. 1. CBC was extremely quick to tag Breivik as being fundamentalist Christian, which after all evidence became clear was as accurate as calling Hitler a fundamentalist Christian 2. In his late commentary about the Oslo bombing an elderly commentator, which I believe was Brian Stewart, claimed that Nelson Mandela never resorted to violence, which is perfectly in line with the religion of political correctness but unfortunately 180 degrees away from the truth. I really don't know why he had to bring Mandela into in commentary and on top of it why he had to lie about Nelson Mandela's past.

ScaryBob. The sun shine girl is certainly not one of my favorite personalities but the kind of language and attitude I have heard and seen during that interview was no different from what I have heard and seen in various company meetings when the CEO is thinking someone is wasting the company's money. It is then up to some manager to defend the case. To me this was an interview along that line where the waste of tax payers money was suggested. I realize that this was probably new ground for someone used to applause. If every interviewer treats every guest with cotton gloves, not asking difficult questions, that to me is, is just as counter productive. I have seen some of those cotton glove interviews which left me semi frustrated with the interviewer (yes even Sun) where I am asking "why are you letting him get away with this?"

If anyone is too scared to be interviewed then clearly there is something that he/she cannot justify or want to hide.

As a last comment, I don't think it is long before some eloquent guest is going to pull one on the sun shine girl. Let us see if Sun News will be willing to broadcast that one.

#78 ·
NielN, Just around the Oslo bombing I picked up on two lies. 1. CBC was extremely quick to tag Breivik as being fundamentalist Christian, which after all evidence became clear was as accurate as calling Hitler a fundamentalist Christian 2. In his late commentary about the Oslo bombing an elderly commentator, which I believe was Brian Stewart, claimed that Nelson Mandela never resorted to violence, which is perfectly in line with the religion of political correctness but unfortunately 180 degrees away from the truth. I really don't know why he had to bring Mandela into in commentary and on top of it why he had to lie about Nelson Mandela's past.
I can't comment on your second point as I haven't seen the clip in question but your first example does not support your assertion of "blatant lying" in any way. From Wikipedia (supported by four sources): "Deputy police chief Roger Andresen initially told reporters that information on Breivik's websites was "so to speak, Christian fundamentalist".

You would expect news networks, including SunTV, to report this, no?

#82 ·
If the Globe & Mail article is correct in stating that the CRTC was informed in a letter from Quebecor "that it would give the licence back to the CRTC", then why does the government's website list the CKXT-TV Toronto transition plan as “under review”? What is there about that plan that would have to be reviewed, and why would they and Quebecor not be confirming the story?

#84 ·
Once you give the license back, there is no easy option to "restart their old broadcast channel".

Corus and the Quebec Ministry of Transport tried to do that in Montreal with the licenses Corus' predecessor had turned in for AM 690 and 940, and guess what? Someone else wants them too, so it will go to a competitive application hearing. (And what's the likelihood that the CRTC will agree that two Class A Clear Channels broadcasting Montreal traffic info to a third of the continent is the best use of the radio spectrum?)

As for broadcasting TVA, that would effectively need a new licence, too, since AFAIK changing the language of broadcast requires a different license. But it is an option , if Quebecor is quick enough to apply before anyone else decides they want a Toronto OTA channel.

But right now, Quebecor's TVA flagship CFTM already has priority carriage on BDUs outside Quebec. How many more viewers would they get OTA? Don't forget, there is no simsub premium for French language OTA stations. I don't think it is in the cards.

This is not the 'States, where programming format or content is not regulated (other than the famous "7 words" and wardrobe malfunctions :) ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.