Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Slingbox and Telus Satellite

7K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  John Koenig 
#1 ·
If we want to use our laptop while travelling, can a Slingbox be set up at home on our Telus HDPVR from Telus Satellite (we have no access to Telus Optic TV as we are in the Cariboo). The SB ads all say DVR - Is that the same thing as PVR for this purpose. We DO NOT have high speed Intenet like the fibre-optic lines in the city but instead only are able to get BC Wireless (way faster than dial up though) and the SB ad says you need high speed internet. I am assuming that is your home internet capability. Apparently you can watch tv down in Arizona and Nevada using the Slingbox system as long as you have internet; again I assume it would have to be high-speed there at that end. Would this be download too using up Gb limitations (like Netflix) does? Sorry for being such a technically-challenged person....:D

#2 ·
Telus Pvr boxes are same ones Bell uses which is 9241, As Telus sat gets there single from Bell, and they use the same hardware as bell does. The only difference is Telus guild is Grey, Bell is blue, Telus box have Telus sticker, Bell says bell, That about it. It's prety much same hardware except you can not use Bell pvr on Telus Sat.. You must be using Telus 9241 PVR.. Same deal goes with Bell, can't use Telus 9241 pvr on Bell Sat..

As for the Sling box I do not know. I would like to know too. but dish network and Echostar which make the pvr for Both Dish/Bell and now Telus have a new pvr/Dvr unit in the states called Hopper... Just look up. Dish Hopper..

The hope is that bell will see what dish/Echostar has brought out and hopefully bring it to Canadian market.. As the Hopper basically is a all in one or whole home pvr system, which similar to what Telus Optik is, except
they already have sling box built into the pvr, Which I do not think optik has quite yet..

The problem is, Bell always seems to be very far behind when it is compared to what Dish has.
I really want a hopper or similar whole home pvr system myself as many other bell/Telus customer too..

The question is, Will Bell/Telus ever bring it to the canada market or will they continue always wait 5 years before they bring in any newer pvr system. As to weither a Sling box would work on 9241/9242 (bell or Telus) I do not know. I would like to know this too as well.

Also make sure your net is fast enough, If you can watch Netflix with no problem, Then your internet is fast enough, if not, Then there no way Sling box would work.

I'm currently on Telus optic speed which 19.2 Mbps, But only actauly get use 15 Mbps..

Telus Lite which about 1.5 Mbps will not play Netflix I tried lol, But if your watching any HD tv, Like HD Netflix yes you can very quickly start using a lot of GB, Before you know it you could be over a limit..
If your current ISP (internet service provider) like wifi provider like BC wireless, If they say have 5 GB
limit, Netflix HD would quickly reach that limit before you know it. I'm not sure but Id say in few days or even a full day of watching HD video would quickly reach 5 GB easily.

I would say head over to Bell section and ask if Sling can be used on Telus 9241 PVR Box.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=58

becasue I would like to know too.. Good luck.

((when I switch from Optik to Sat. Telus by mistake switch my DSL internet to lite. Found out next day when I was trying watch netflix and it would not load up lol, but I got fixed after spending few hours yelling at Telus ))

#3 ·
If the following teo conditions are met, then you're good to go:

1) your PVR has component or composite output (which I'm sure it does)
2) your Telus box supports legacy infrared remote

I have yet to see an Echostar receiver that doesn't and late PVRs are listed in the Logitech Harmony database, then yours eould which indicates that good old Echostar IR codes can be selected eithin the slingbox setup screen to pilot the satellite tuner.

Hope this helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.