Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CLOSED — Shaw Gateway: Code update to iS2 & iS2+

289K views 1K replies 206 participants last post by  downbeat 
#1 · (Edited)
(UPDATE: April 2012) Reports indicate Shaw is progressively rolling our new firmware for Portals and Gateways as of now. If you have received this new firmware, please use the following new main discussion thread.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=153175
Thanks,
downbeat

==========

Please use this thread to discuss the Shaw Gateway (Whole-home PVR by Arris) after the scheduled iS2 code update from Shaw.
** Subsequent iS2+ code update rolled out through December 2011 also covered in this thread. **

Current known firmware versions as of February 2012, as reported by forum members and/or Shaw staff:
Gateway 7.0.1b.9G5BR-P.342538
Portal 7.0.1b.9X5R-P.342538

BEFORE YOU POST, check out this list of fixes and issues:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1324303

Other threads of note:

Installation and setup
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=145834

Adding external drives
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=142528

Gateway remote 'cheat sheet' for buttons and associated commands
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1347683

Programming universal Harmony remote for use with Gateway
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1331570

Gateway promotions (new subs only)
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=144468

Wait times for Gateway support
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=145274

Historical thread for the Gateway with original firmware
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=130143
This thread is now closed but it contains some issues/info that are still pertinent today. Worth taking the time to review.

Cheers,
downbeat

See less See more
#1,219 ·
Is MoCA to Blame!

It really concerns me that so many people are having major problems, while others are enjoying a fairly trouble free experience. I had my Gateway and three portals installed over two months ago and have had virtually no problems at all. I have never had a device hang or reboot and have never had to power cycle anything. I have had no pixelization issues and 95% of the time, the trick mode functions are reliable and almost instant. None of the portals has ever lost contact with the gateway.

So, my question is why. I posted in an earlier article that the installer was a bit rushed and had to move on to another job. He left me a handful of MoCA filters for me to place in front of any non MoCA compliant devices. My home wiring is 35 year old RG59 and there are there are five splitters throughout the network.

The network is configured with the Gateway and Portals connected directly to the MoCA network. All other devices including my Pace PVR, three older cable boxes, and the DOCSIS modem, are behind individual MoCA filters. All unused ports on any of the splitters are capped with a terminator. The theory here is to keep the MoCA network as short, simple, and uncontaminated as possible.

I understand that the way my network is wired, may not reflect the way Shaw configures many of the installations, with all the extra MoCA filters and terminators. But, it works.

Anyway, this is my two cents worth. I feel for those who are going though so much pain and just though I might detail what works for me. I have a detailed drawing of my network and can email a copy to anyone that is interested. Just let me know.

Good Luck.

Also, many thanks to the Shaw employee that gave me so much help (you know who you are).

#1,221 ·
Hi:

I tried searching but I can't seem to find my answer to this question. I have the skip feature programmed to be 30 seconds in order to skip commercials, etc. Last night while watching a recorded program I tried to skip forward through commercials and it was skipping forward 15 minutes instead of 30 seconds. I checked the menu and it was still set at 30 seconds. Am I doing something wrong? What is the issue here?

#1,224 ·
hopefully all my problems are fixed with my gateway now as SHAW just found out that when they sent out an update it detroyed my Gateway box, so they had to replace it. But the good people they are when they left yesterday it was still not up and running ( no VOD), so as usually the ordeally with getting it working had to be redone again today. Got to love SHAW and there digital boxes that don't work and that includes the little digital boxes (went through several in a couple of months)

#1,226 ·
anyone having pixelation issues on 200ABCHD and 206CBSHD in Vancouver? Just got the gateway installed this week and they said the pixelation was related to the Fairchild channels being down, but now that those are working again, I'm still getting pixelation on 200 ABCWest and 206 CBSEast

#1,228 ·
Thanks, but I think it was just my installation. A service tech came and fixed it yesterday...the initial installer did not do a very good job, he put way too many moca filters on and did some funky stuff. He said he was allotted 4 hours for the install but he took less than two and left after. Doesn't leave a good impression especially when he left without any of the channels working except the basic ones....I had to phone and get the box reset and provisioned again myself thru gateway technical support. He was also supposed to take my old boxes for trade-in but said there were no papers for me to sign so he couldn't take them. When I was on the phone with support they said they'd get him to come back and pick them up but that didn't happen either.

I'd feel for those who aren't tech savvy and just bought a gateway and got a botched install like that. The service tech that came fixed the splitters and now there's only a single moca filter segregating the gateway/portals from the rest of the cable network.

I'm glad I had an existing service appointment booked before because the next time available for a technician was April 12th! I hope I'm the exception to the installs, seems like the installer is just hurried and wants to install the thing without making sure it works and leaving. I would have been stuck with pixelating channels till mid April.

#1,229 ·
I'm 4 days away from getting the Shaw Gateway installed at my house and I'm having second thoughts.

I'm in Winnipeg and currently use the MTS Ultimate TV service. After the Shaw promo, I'll be paying around the same price for the Shaw services.

I'm liking that I'll have much faster internet (20 MBPS instead of 7.5) but am concerned that this Shaw Gateway might be a step back from MTS Ultimate.

Anyone from Winnipeg able to compare the two services?

I'm planning on going to a local Mall that has a Shaw store so I can see Shaw Gateway hopefully in person and try it out before the install date.

#1,230 ·
Hey PitbulI I was with MTS before I changed it's very similar and it took me a day or two to get used to the different system but it hasn't been bad.
There's still some bugs with the gateway system plus other features still coming so it will get better....I hope.

The advantage over MTS was like you said internet speeds as well as the 6HD steams....With two HD tv's and many recordings we were constantly running out of HD streams. Then menu and guide on MTS Ultimate tv is sill nicer and quicker but it got better since I talked to shaw gateway support and they pushed out an update.
I was able to get on the $20 best of HD package and I wished MTS had one of those packages but that was another reason I changed....more HD channels without having to subscribe to the SD equivalent. (The package automatically comes with them)

#1,232 ·
So, I've had my gateway and portals since early January, and counting my blessings. Mostly trouble-free (occasional lag in trick mode, gateway locked up once) until a couple days ago.

Suddenly, one of the portals wasn't behaving properly. It kept pausing when scrolling the channel list, stopped taking input, etc. In fact, it was almost as if the remote wasn't working right.

Moral of the story, play your hunches and don't wait three days before replacing the batteries on a remote that's only two months old and couldn't possibly have dead batteries yet... :)

#1,234 ·
Moral of the story, play your hunches and don't wait three days before replacing the batteries on a remote that's only two months old and couldn't possibly have dead batteries yet...
I noticed the on/off button flashing after a key press which I assumed was an indication of low batteries - went away after replacing them.

Funnily enough it was the 2nd set of batteries i have put in that remote, and put it down to dud batteries as surely a remote wouldnt be going them them that quickly....

#1,238 ·
Wondering if anyone else has had this issue just happened yesterday on one of my TV's.

My input setting has always been set to 1080i and yesterday turning on the TV the image was to large to fit on the TV (Menu screens and TV programs) the only thing that fixed it was changing the input to 720P.

Haven't tried on my HT system down stairs yet to see if it was affected as well but will look at it tonight.

TIA

#1,239 ·
Sounds more like someone pressed the 'zoom', 'wide' or 'aspect' button on your TV remote. Changing the resolution is triggering the set to default the 'zoom' to the 'full' or 'normal' setting, depending on what kind of set you have. If you would care to post the brand and model #, we might be able to steer you in the right direction to get it back to the way you had it before.

#1,243 ·
I don't have any kids in my home, could that be it?
For me, I have a 15month old who does like to mash buttons on the remote (and record random shows in the process), plus the tv is the main one we watch so its usage is quite heavy but still you expect remote batteries to last more than a few months.

I am using some no-named batteries (alkaline though) which were bought on sale at the source so that could be it.

Either way is not a big deal, bur certainly interesting a few people seem to have noticed the same thing

#1,244 ·
I'm using harmony remotes almost exclusively now but, before setting up the harmony, I remember that the repeat rate on the supplied remote was quite fast so I wouldn't be surprised if many people are scrolling up and down the guide and channel lists one channel at a time just holding down the up/down buttons since it is fairly fast to do so. This sends many more commands through the remote than using ch up/down for page scrolling would send so I'm guessing this could have a bit to do with potentially faster battery usage. Just a thought.

#1,245 ·
Battery in remotes

It could be that the cheap batteries Shaw puts in the remotes initially (or that come with the remotes) just suck. Or maybe the backlight on the remote really drains the batteries. I had to replace my original batteries after about 2 months in the main remote. Current ones have been running for about 3 now with no issues. The batteries in the bedroom remote are still fine but it gets a lot less use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.