Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

HDMI HDCP Strippers

14K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  noguffay 
#1 ·
Can we post here a list of all the available HDCP strippers on the market that work well and thier general pricing? Also anyones experience with any of these devices and recomendations please.

Starting with HDFury 1,2 and 3 the Fury2 is listed as $199.00US and the Fury3 @ $299.00US.

I have no experience with any of these devices and I'm looking to buy one.

#2 ·
the HDFury products seem to alude to the fact that they aren't encumbered by the HDCP protocols.... (marketing speak for "it might work".

The curt palme website is chock full of marketing and hype, and for the record, curtpalm.coms web administrator is a e-friend of mine and I'd vouch for "his" credibility. - but I don't personally know anyone who is using the hdfury equipment.

#4 · (Edited)
I have been using an HD Fury 2 for over a year to connect the HDMI output of a Blu-ray player to the RGBHV input of a projector - and it works absolutely perfectly. Yes the developer's web site for this product has a lot of promotional hype but if you read past that it is clear that this is a well-designed product for doing exactly what it says.

The HD Fury doesn't "circumvent HDCP protocols" - in fact it has to be fully HDCP compliant in order to work. However, it clearly does allow you to do something that HDCP was designed to prevent. As for what it does do: it is simply an adapter box with an HDMI input that is fully compliant with HDCP, and produces an RGBHV or component video output at exactly the same resolution as the input signal.

#7 · (Edited)
There is the Moome MUX-HD HDMI/DVI Repeater for $289.00 US which has DVI out. A rather expensive fix for a rather cheap setup (Xbox360 + TTV IPN430MC tunner/PVR + Sony PFM-42V1 Plasma monitor + PC). I guess this is the price I'll have to accept for trying to maintain some HD quality using the DVI in as opposed to the S-Vid or other composite in. Has/is any one used this device and what are your opinions. I'd like to achieve HDMI out of my XBox360 and IPN430MC to the DVI in of my Sony Plasma monitor, so this seems to be the logical choice. I'm concerned about quality and service. I've seen a few negatives about these issues with Moome on the forums. Any other options out there?

http://www.curtpalme.com/MUX-HD.shtm

#9 ·
That would be correct. It is an old school, pre 2005 model. Thank the heavens for the techs that can get us out and around the big business's ways of screwing us out of more money than the cost of a mod. I should be thankful for only having to pay this much.

#10 ·
Not sure if I'm going off topic here or if I'm 100% correct with these facts, but why is it OK for a post 2005 PC based DVD player or Blue-Ray player with a graphics card with HDMI and/or DVI-D out to not have to have HDCP compliance? My PNY Invidia card has DVI-D out and can play movies on my pre 2005 HDCP non compliant plasma monitor, but a XBox360 or probably any new STHD PVR or Blue-Ray player has to be HDCP compliant? Did they just forget about making PC based components HDCP compliant?

#11 ·
Did they just forget about making PC based components HDCP compliant?
PC components typically are HDCP compliant. You may have some hardware that gets around that somehow. It is more likely that either the source material has no HDCP protection or that a piece of software is removing it. The mainstream option is to use component cables with older displays.

#12 ·
Doesn't your TV have component (not composite) inputs? If it does then you can use those to get hi-def video from an Xbox 360, HD PVR or Blu-ray player (you may need a component video switch if you don't have enough inputs but you can get one of those for well under $100). It is possible at some point down the road that some Blu-ray titles will start to require an HDMI/HDCP connection but right now none are doing that so you don't really need HDMI. It is doubtful you would see any quality difference between component and HDMI anyway.

#13 ·
I just noticed you listed the model number of your TV in another post. I found the specs on it here:

http://tech.yahoo.com/ps/sony-pfm-42v1-s/1991517026

Note that your TV is only an EDTV with a native resolution of 852x480 so although it will accept HD resolutions it will downconvert them to 480p anyway. Although you'll see some improvement by using DVI I personally wouldn't spend that kind of money on a temporary solution like an HDCP stripper and just save the money for a TV upgrade down the road. At $289 US you'll be over $400 CDN by the time you factor in shipping, taxes, duties, etc. on top of the exchange rate. That's almost half way there for a decent quality 1080p LCD of a similar size as your current TV. In another year or two you'll be able to buy one for ~$500 (you can get cheapo brands now for close to that).

#14 ·
My Sony PFM-42V1 has no YPbPr component in, just 1- VGA, 1- DVI, 1- S-Video composite and 1- Coaxial composite inputs. I'm trying not to use the two composite inputs. My PC is VGA out, so that leaves the DVI for the XBox and the PVR, both of which have HDMI and component out. Spending $350.00 including shipping for the Moome MUX-HD HDMI/DVI Repeater seems to be the only solution? F$@# HDCP!

#16 ·
We've kind of drifted off topic hear a little though. I was looking for a list of HDCP strippers, and so far I see only the HDFury 1,2,3 and the Moome. I also have a second issue that I was trying to address in another thread. I have a BlackMagic Intensity Pro card that I want to use for capturing some uncompressed HD 1080i media from any HDMI source. Unfortunately the BMI is not HDCP compliant so this is also why I'm looking for as many HDCP strippers as possible. I'm not 100% yet if the BMI actually can capture both 1080i video and HD 5.1/7.1 uncompressed audio, through the HDMI input. The BMI component input has only stereo audio input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.