Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Channel Wishlist

9K views 43 replies 23 participants last post by  thenewdc 
#1 ·
I'm just curious what networks people would like to see the CRTC approve. Essentially, this is a wish list though I guess if enough people respond wanting something it could be taken to a provider to gauge interest. For the purposes of this list, don't worry about logistics of actually bringing the channel to Canada, either regulatory or technological, this is purely for fun. But if a Canadian equivalent exists (i.e. HBO or FX) they are covered.

Here is my list:

US Cable
Altitude
Comcast Sports Network (all 7 regional feeds)
Comedy Central
ESPN
ESPN 2
ESPN3
ESPN Deportes
ESPNews
ESPNU
Fox College Sports (all 4 regional feeds)
Fox Sports (all 18 regional feeds)
MASN
MLB Network
MSG Network
MSG Plus
NBC Sports Network
One World Sports
Root Sports (all 5 regional feeds)
Showtime
TBS (not WPCH Atlanta)
TNT
Universal Sports
USA Network
YES Network

US Local Channels
KABC (ABC) - Los Angeles
KCAL (Ind.) - Los Angeles
KCOP (MNT) - Los Angeles
KCBS (CBS) - Los Angeles
KNBC (NBC) - Los Angeles
KTVU (FOX) - San Francisco (officially Oakland)
SWX - Eastern Washington State
WABC (ABC) - New York
WCBS (CBS) - New York
WNBC (NBC) - New York
WNYW (FOX) - New York
WWOR (MNT) - New York (officially Secaucus, NJ)

International Channels
ABC1 (Australia)
ABC2 (Australia)
ABC3 (Australia)
BBC One (UK)
BBC Two (UK)
BBC Three (UK)
BBC Four (UK)
Canal+ (France)
Channel Four (UK)
Cubavision (domestic version, Cuba)
ESPN Australia (Australia)
ESPN Dos (Venezuela)
Eurosport (Europe)
Eurosport 2 (Europe)
Four (New Zealand)
Fox Footy Channel (Australia)
Fuji TV (Japan)
Intercontinental Broadcasting Corporation (Philippines)
ITV 1 (UK)
ITV 2 (UK)
ITV 3 (UK)
ITV 4 (UK)
J Sports 3 (Japan)
Kerrang! (UK)
La 1 (Spain)
La7 (Italy)
Network Ten (Australia)
Nederlandse Omroep Stichting (Netherlands)
Nine Network (Australia)
One (Australia)
RAI (Italy)
RTE One (Ireland)
RTE Two (Ireland)
RTL7 (Netherlands)
Rugby Channel (New Zealand)
Russia 2 (Russia)
SABC 1 (South Africa)
SABC 2 (South Africa)
SABC 3 (South Africa)
SBS TV (Australia)
Seven Network (Australia)
Sky Deutschland (Germany)
Sky Italia (Italy)
Sky Mexico (Mexico)
Sky Sports 1 (UK)
Sky Sports 2 (UK)
Sky Sports 3 (UK)
Sky Sports 4 (UK)
Sport1 (Germany)
Sport 5 (Israel)
SportTV (Portugal)
TG4 (Ireland)
TV One (New Zealand)
TV2 (New Zealand)
TV3 (Ireland)
TV3 (New Zealand)

See less See more
#5 ·
The more sports stations the better if you ask me. I think I pretty much covered every team that has local rights' network. As you can see I am a huge sports fan and would love to have all these different sports networks. So having MSG and YES would be good too, especially since they cover other things than simply the Rangers, Knicks and Yankees.

I also enjoy hockey, but could careless about the teams TSN chooses to show (I am a LA Kings fan and hate the Canadian teams). I am also big into NCAA sports and I find Canadian TV does a terrible job of covering most of the NCAA. ESPN's family of networks actually does a great job of covering the NCAA. I would love it if I could flip on my TV and see a Creighton or George Mason game on TV. Sadly, TSN doesn't carry those ones from ESPN. If the CRTC didn't allow the Big Ten Network and the KHQ from Spokane, I'd rarely ever see my top two NCAA teams play. Heck, even if TSN started showing college sports in the overnight hours, I'd PVR it and watch it as well.

The one thing I am grateful for TSN is for the CFL. If it wasn't for TSN, we'd still be resigned to watching only part of the season on CBC. Then again I have been spoiled lately since my Riders haven't had attendance problems, so all their games home and away have been broadcast on TV.

#6 ·
As I was compiling my list, I did wonder why LA and New York were not picked as the East and West networks in Canada? Seems odd that at least out West you get Spokane and Detroit (Rochester for FOX) on Shaw and Boston and Seattle on Sasktel (and I think MTS and Telus). I wonder how they settled on those cities.

Granted, my parents claim that in the late 70s Saskatoon Telecable carried the US networks out of Williston, ND. Apparently, it was a very small town production featuring tractor dealer commercials with illegible hand written signs. So Detroit is an improvement over Williston. Mostly, I want LA for the local news and stories about my Kings. This is also why San Francisco's FOX affiliate made my list, as I am a 49ers fan.

#4 ·
Mine would fall more in to a programming wishlist.

More well written television - drama, comedy, anything where they put the money in to the writing instead of the technology or the producers pockets. Badly written television with amazing HD effects is still bad television. Reality TV is bad television.

Some Anime. YTV used to show some good stuff, but now there is next to nothing on any of the hundreds of channels available. Where is Naruto Shippeden? Where is Case Closed? Where are all of the ones that I've never heard of because they just aren't on here.

Mark

#9 ·
I doubt it going to happened in Canada. i even want USA Network and JoeTV Channel 22 Seattle, WA in our lineup but that not going to happened too you know. just like Spike tv forced to removed show on the Canadian Spike tv feed

your on the same boat as i am but i don't have time over american feed that we can't get in canada on television or through the internet.

sorry, buddy!

#11 ·
Some of the channels you mentioned have been approved, like Network Ten, TV3 Ireland, TV3 New Zealand, Comedy Central, WWOR New York, and RAI (International version). Sport TV from Portugal has also been approved apparently as it is on MTS here in Manitoba. The other channels you listed though, good luck! Also, why would you need so many sports channels? You do realize you can only watch 1 game at a time! lol

#12 ·
There's picture in picture and PVRs for all the games I want. I also like to have the choice of whatever games are going on. It would be nice to be able to follow all my teams, no matter which network they are on.

I knew one of the Aussie channels had been approved wasn't sure which one though. I still have no idea why nobody had added it though. I also didn't realize WWOR had been approved. The only US Superstation that I knew had been approved but not offered was the one from Denver (but I forget the call letters).

But yes, I know the majority have technological problems with getting them here or similar networks that the CRTC would cause it to be denied. But this list was created purely on living in an ideal world away from technological or bureaucratic barriers.

#15 ·
I'm surprised I am not the only one who wants to see the flagship stations of the 4 big USA networks available instead of the choices we have. I understand why they choose Boston and Seattle though, because they are the closest ones to Canadian markets on the extremities of each coast.

I had written a letter to Bell TV to add all the USA feeds approved by the CRTC, and have the customer choose which 2 feeds they would want (CRTC regulations only allow two feeds to be allowed, unless special permission is granted for a 3rd by request). I originally did these because I had zero interest in the Boston feeds, and preferred the local Plattsburgh/Burlington ones since I'm in Montreal and have followed these stations for years. Since they are already approved by the CRTC I figured it was worth a shot asking. But no response so far. I didn't even bother asking the CRTC to approve the the LA and NY feeds because I thought they wouldn't even consider it but now I am contemplating doing so, after all the interest shown here.

I also do not understand why WWOR-TV NY Superstation and kWGN-TV Denver Superstations are not carried by anyone yet. They are the only 2 superstations missing and I would definately love to see these too.

From the original list posted, I doubt most of the US channels listed would ever be approved by the CRTC, since they would compete directly with all our sports channels, but from the list I saw, the ones that I'd like to see myself and think have a chance are NBC Sports Network, MLB TV, Showtime, TBS, TNT and USA Network.

#20 ·
if that about Comedy Central for South Park or TBS for American Dad, Keep on Dreaming because you know that the CRTC is not going to let you view those channels because it would not be fair for Canadian Channels of Any Kind. and yes, Filmon is the best alt. for tv channels from the uk and it's great!

#23 ·
I want to see Antenna TV added as we really don't have a dedicated retro TV channel anymore. Half the junk on Deja View & Comedy Gold has nothing to do with classic television. I'm sure I saw Rookie Blue on Deja View the other day, which is totally unacceptable. We need a true classic television station and antenna TV is a great channel.

#25 ·
It would've been nice for the broadcasters that owned channels like NHL Network or GOL TV, to allow us to get the American feeds instead now that their Canadianized versions are discontinued.

I'm almost surprised Shaw hasn't tried to apply for new U.S Channels, ie: as others had asked for TBS, ESPN U, Fox College Sports Channels, (3 feeds) Longhorn Network, Sec Network - considering we have CBS College Sports and Big Ten Network.

Channels like TBS may have a better time getting on Canadian Cable, recall back when Shaw applied for USA Network it was only denied because it was showing too much Law And Order series.. if it wasn't for that it wouldn't been allowed entry.

Frankly I'm surprised Rogers or another provider hasn't tried to launch a Canadianzed version of TNT.

#27 ·
Audiobook the Channel. Hear me out a channel dedicated to audiobook with some nice HD background. And maybe some VOD.

HD Horror channel: (Am Looking at you TerrorTV).

Podcast Channel: Same idea than the Audiobook but for popular podcast.

Cartoon Unrated. Take all these cartoon like Archer/Rick and Morty and broadcast them uncensored.

#28 ·
I would actually like to see NASA TV (which is on the approved list by the CRTC if I remember correctly) but both Cogeco (who I was with) and now Bell Fibe (with currently) both say that NASA TV is not approved in Canada... Bell has told me this a number of times when they call.... Go figure....

I would actually watch TV again.... And yes, a dedicated retro cartoon channel would be fun for some serious time wasting.... :)

Cameron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.