Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

How can I stream Hulu to my TV in Canada? Has it worked for anyone?

39K views 41 replies 21 participants last post by  thenewdc 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am looking for a way to stream Hulu Plus to my tv in Canada. I have done some research and I would need a Roku, and a VPN enabled router. Is sounds easy, but I want to know has anyone actually done it and does it work?

We currently have AppleTV. We just disconnected the cable to save money, but would like to luxury of Hulu Plus.

Any advice would be GREAT!

Thanks!

What about a boxee? I would need to stream US shows though. Canadian content stinks... Anyone recommend that?

#32 ·
I set up an unblock-us account, but couldn't get it to work with Netflix at all on my ATV2.

I set up my DD-WRT router as a repeater (I can't use ethernet) and I connect to the internet fine and if I connect my laptop to the DD-WRT router via an ethernet cable, it works. When I try to connect to the router wirelessly, I can get to the internet, but lose the ability to watch Hulu, Netflix US, etc.

For the ATV2, no matter what I tried it would not connect to the US Netflix. I changed the location to US in the settings, tried it wired and wirelessly to the DD-WRT router, and then tried to just input the DNS straight into the ATV2. Nothing worked.

Any ideas?

#33 ·
I was contemplating getting the ATV2 as well, but after reading your post, I am now worried that I might not be able to get it to work with Hulu and Netflix

Perhaps someone with that has one and managed to get it to work, will come along and advise. I have a Linksys router

#37 ·
For Netflix to work on any other device beside Apple Devices, PC, or PS3, you need to make sure that you are setting up and Unblock-US account, and then go and buy and Pre-paid Visa Gift Card. Then register the card on the website on the back of the card, but put in a valid US Zip Code. Then use that same information for the Gift Card to create a new Hulu Plus/Netlfix US account so you can access those programmes. All details are on the unblock-us website.

#38 ·
Actually, the U.S. Netflix will accept some Canadian credit cards. My account is linked to a Capital One Mastercard. For a zip code, I just used the 3 digits in my postal code, and appended a "01" to the end. If you're going to try this trick, make sure that the zip code you use is actually a valid one first.

Some people have had success using their AMEX cards as well. I already used mine for my Canadian account, so it didn't work for me.

I'll also note that some users are reporting that their Canadian Netflix accounts are flawlessly streaming US content with unblock-us enabled. I had some issues with my ATV2, even properly configured, when trying to use my Canadian Netflix account. So I just switched to a US account.

I've created quite a few US based accounts for various things, and I have to say that Netflix was probably the easiest one to set up. Very few hoops to jump through.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.