Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell TV 9242 HD PVR Discussion thread

1M views 4K replies 709 participants last post by  jackching 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This discussion thread is for owners to discuss the new ExpressVu HD PVR when it becomes available.

I will update this thread when we have specs and details.

Any posts discussing when it will be available or from NON-owners will be deleted and the poster will receive an infraction.

Update: See Bev 9242 HD-PVR for details and for NON-owners to discuss.

Master Reset Link:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1361019#post1361019

Edit by 57 - 9242 User Guide:

http://support.bell.ca/_web/guides/tv/userguide/receiver/9242/9242_11(en).pdf

#2,183 ·
New 9242 is deleting recordings by itself!

Hello folks. I tried doing several searches of this thread and haven't successfully found someone with the same issue. As an owner of Bell PVR for several years I was sent a letter telling me I was due for a replacement because of the switch to MP4.

They also offered me a 9241 for "free". (3 years of rent, which they would pay will a bill credit each month - then I own it). This one had to be installed by them though. The installer changed my LNBs reduced cables from 4 to 2 and removed my old switch. He put the new one line splitter deal on my old PVR and put the new one in my kids room because I knew the 9242 was on its way.

When the 9242 arrived I swapped it out and reprogrammed all my timers. As the week went by the shows all recorded correctly but then they would delete themselves without being watched. I called the help line and they tried a couple of things to reset the receiver but no dice. They sent a "new" one very quickly (it looks like a refurb, not the nice brand new one I started with). I have had it a week or so and since all the shows that we watch were repeats over the holidays I didn't notice until tonight that the problem was back. I lost the entire Monday night CBC line-up except Hawaii 50.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, any hints on how to resolve it? I will be calling to get another unit but in the meantime we are not happy (except my kid - his 9241 is working flawlessly).

Any advice or input would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

#2,184 ·
@mr paw: Do you by any chance have a 9200 also hooked up perhaps to watch old recordings? If so did you possibly delete shows on the 9200 after viewing them? If you did you could have accidentally deleted shows on your new unit. Your TV1 remote will control both boxes unless you change the address of one of them.

BTW, I know this can happen because I did it to myself a couple of weeks ago. I had a few recordings left to watch on my 9200. When I deleted them I discovered that some of my new recordings on my new 9242 were also gone. Live and learn!

#2,185 · (Edited)
@reidw: Thank you for your input. I do have the 9200 hooked up in another room. I am pretty sure we are just using the infrared remote, not the UHF one. But I will check that out now that you mention it.

I wonder if a neighbors might be doing it too?

If so, should I worry that I just sent out the brand new 9242 and I now have the refurb? (probably not I guess - still under warranty - but its just not the same unless you are the one that gets to peel the plastic off the front).

Mike

Later that evening....

Yep, that was it. Oddly enough it was my kids remote on his 9241 that was doing it. I didn't even think to check that his was a UHF one because it was a one room/one TV unit. Feeling a little stupid now, especially since I just sent out the brand new 9242 this afternoon via Purolator.

Thanks for your help reidw!

#2,186 ·
Hi guys.
I'm sorry if this has been posted before and it is likely that it has been, however, I cannot find a clear cut answer. I have a Bell 9242 PVR and it is set up to just the one TV. Recently I have had an issue when watching a per-recorded program. Basically the program seems to lag and is choppy and sometimes freezes and then continues on, but these issues sometimes last throughout the whole recording.
Does anyone have an idea what this could be and if so if it can be fixed?
Thanks

#2,187 ·
Sounds like the drive could be almost full.

I had this on one of my old 9200's, if I did the "Skip Back" button, it played flawlessly, almost as though the drive is trying to play faster that it is recording. By 'skipping back' you are watching a delayed transmission.

Re-Booting, Check Switch etc might help but if not drastic steps like Re-formatting the drive might be required.

#2,189 ·
Update: I did nothing to the dish. Just went away for a few days. Now it shows as 86% with Tuner Input 01, Transponder 23 and Satellite 91. Going to the Check Switch screen, all four ports show as OK, Reception Verified. Ran the test and no errors reported. Still, no HD channels and only 75% of SD channels.

Went back and forth between various menu screens, exited the menus and voila, all channels being received.

Scratching my head on this one.

#2,190 ·
You need to call bell.

One of my 9242 replacements did the same, and my brother had the same thing. CSR told him that due to the large amount of upgrades, some weren't getting proper activation in the stream.

Mine worked fine, but the time zone was wrong. When I called in, they fixed that, but then I lost programming.

You can try doing a re-sync on the website first.

#2,191 ·
Audio dropouts?

Hi,
I've just received a 9242 pvr to replace my 9200. I've been experiencing audio dropouts every minute or so. It seems to be only on the HD channels. I've searched but the last update was a year ago... Is anyone still expriencing that problem? I'm about to return that receiver. My 9200 never had that issue, I just unplug the old one and plugged in the new one, absolutely no changes to my setup. Good job Bell!

Thanks.

#2,193 ·
I did,
Just came of the phone with Bell CSR, apparently the 9242 is very sensitive to the type of HDMI cable used. I have a 40ft in-wall standard speed cable, I would need to upgrade to a high speed v1.4 cable. Monoprice anyone? Seems like sounds is "lagging" behind. I might give it a try.

Thanks.

#2,208 ·
Just came of the phone with Bell CSR, apparently the 9242 is very sensitive to the type of HDMI cable used. I have a 40ft in-wall standard speed cable, I would need to upgrade to a high speed v1.4 cable. Monoprice anyone? Seems like sounds is "lagging" behind. I might give it a try.
I also noticed on my 9242 the sound is not in sync with the video, on some HD channels. I'm using a 6ft v1.3 HDMI cable.

#2,194 ·
My new 9242 has a strange problem. When I go to "Daily Schedule" all my future series recordings don't show up, but they can still be found when I select "Timers". Is this a common bug that I can just ignore, or do I need to delete all the timers and redo them? I tried a soft reboot with no difference. Thanks.

#2,195 ·
I use a 3 ft HDMI cable from my 9242 into an AV receiver, then a 6 ft. cable going to an 8 port HDMI splitter, which among other output lines has a 35 ft. Monoprice cable going to an HDMI wall plate, which then has a further 10 ft. HDMI cable going to the TV in that room. No video artifacts or audio dropouts of any kind on that or any set in the house, and all cables are pre 1.4 spec (2007 era HDMI). The 35 ft is tin plated copper 22AWG for in wall installation (CL2 rated), with gold plated contacts - it was around 40 dollars when I bought it. The 3, 6 and 10 ft. cables are 28AWG, and I'm also using 1 ft. port savers on each splitter connection to keep the substantial cable weight off the HDMI ports. Never had a problem with the signal.

#2,196 ·
digitalMatt Don't worry about the speed, but do get the thickest cable you can - 22 ga. and hope that it works. Many people require an HDMI repeater when they go beyond 30', but as noted above, sometimes longer lengths do work. The newer STBs may not be sending as "much" signal, hence the problem. Each device has a different amount of signal.

#2,197 ·
digitalMatt, please let us know how you make out with a new cable.

57, My brother in law just got his new 9242 replacement and I also noticed audio dropouts. About 1 audio droput per 10 minutes. I really wasn't clocking it. His HDMI cable was bought 6 years ago and it is not very long. Maybe 6 feet.What would you suggest? A newer cable? Or could it be a problem with the 9242.

#2,202 ·
I'd try doing the NVRAM reset that's posted on this forum. Mine was having odd tuner two hangs, etc, so I executed the reset, and now it seems fine.

On the 9242, you won't lose your timers (like the instructions say). You'll just lose all the perferences/settings/etc.

#2,203 ·
9242 Odd Behaviour ?

Just had a strange episode with my wife's 9242.

Woke up in the morning to discover that TV2 had no signal (after 4+ years of working correctly).

Turns out that her 9242 had somehow altered itself in 2 ways:
1) The TRANSPONDER setting for TV2 had somehow reverted to AIR (channel 60) from CABLE (channel 73).
Setting it back to CABLE 73 brought TV2 back to life.
2) Her Channel Guide had totally deleted her preferred channel listing and reverted back to only ALL CHAN, ALL SUB and ALL HD as the available listing choices.

So what happened here? Is this an indicator of troubles to come? A glitch in the nightly update?

Scratching my head here.