Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Xbox update corrupting network connection

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  CentaurChester 
#1 ·
Anybody else experience this? Seems to be a hot topic on MS Xbox forums, but nothing on this one. Wireless network connection worked fine before update, but after update, either can't connect or get disconnected within a few minutes. MS has the usual "support" crapola built up around the theme it's not MS' fault (i.e. check your modem, check your router, call your ISP, blah blah blah), but it clearly is - we had no connection issues before the update and the only connected device not working after the update is the Xbox.

Before I send the &^% thing in for warranty work, anybody know how to roll back the update?

#2 ·
Moved this to a new thread to give it some more visibility and hopefully get you some help.

#5 ·
The same day the new metro-themed updates first came out I had connectivity issues with XBOX Live (while the Internet connection itself was just fine - according to their connection test tool on the XBOX). I just wrote it off to Microsoft's servers being overloaded due to everyone downloading the update and trying out the new stuff.

Both of my XBOX 360 consoles have a wired connection though, and since about 24-hours after the metro themed update the connectivity to XBOX Live has been rock solid.

Honestly though, random interruptions due to wireless interference is very noticeable in applications that "maintain state" such as a online game. It isn't noticeable for applications that don't maintain state such as web browsing or even streaming media.

So, when you say that your WiFi is rock solid (which I have trouble believing, WiFi isn't rock solid almost by definition) were you running any other applications that would be affected by small bits of interference in the same way that online games are?

#6 ·
My other son has a big Alienware gaming rig connected via wifi. He online games all the time with no connection issues. So I'll say it again that our wifi is rock solid. Not sure why you think that isn't possible. I don't have any wifi interference problems.

#9 ·
So I'll say it again that our wifi is rock solid. Not sure why you think that isn't possible. I don't have any wifi interference problems.
RF transmissions are always susceptible to interference. Sure, it might be "rock solid" for a period of time, but then external influences come along and ruin it for you. Like running a microwave, portable phones, baby monitors, some other WiFi device actively using spectrum (e.g. P2P activity).

These are just some of the reasons why a WiFi connection can never be "rock solid" like a shielded Ethernet cable can be.

#7 ·
It would suck to have to pay more for this, but a possible workaround is a wireless bridge connected to the Xbox. The 360 would technically have a wired connection that way.

#8 ·
Tried a fix that appears to have worked - deleted all Xbox Live profiles and then downloaded them again. I had tried this before without improving things, but last night it seemed to work, as we got a couple of hours of wireless connection with only a couple of drop offs.

#11 ·
You may be right. I was making the assumption that in your house you would have either a microwave, portable phones, or even some other devices that are also on your WiFi network.

If it is a rural area and the XBOX 360 and the router are the only two active WiFi devices and nothing else in your house uses 2.4GHz, you're probably correct.

#12 ·
Just an idea. Though my xbox 360 is wired connection. I do know that the Wireless N setting on new xbox 360 we're twichy with some routers, While they we're fine with others..
Now it is very very possible that Microsoft did mess something up a bit with there last update.. You could try
dropping back to G mode.. But I found this site awhile back when I first bought my 360 S 250 gig.

http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/faqs/111-troubleshooting-and-improving-wireless

I bought my sister a wireless N adapter for her birthday gift few years back for her old xbox and 3 days later she took it back to best buy cus she couldn't get to work Grrrr..
I sent her that link and she yelled at me on phone for awhile. So It's not just the built in ones, I hope maybe this site give you some options..

Good luck.

Edit: It's known issue that many xbox have issues with some Linksys routers.. Sometime the PNP
does not function properly and/or the port may open then next time you go use it. It be close
or you xbox will report back as Nat-restricted. Just unplugging (power) the router, wait 10 sec and plug back in will often fix it..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.