Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

X-FTA.CA ??

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  cyberham 
#1 ·
Did anyone else notice a banner for X-FTA on DHC? Please correct me, but isn't this product used for non-legit operation?

Cheers, K

#3 ·
Good points on the above ad. I think that we all have vested interests in keeping the site clear of that kind of stuff -- but if the adds originate from somewhere else for profit via Google, then what can we do to get them off.

Hopefully the guys at Bell or Dish Network will go after them directly if they are not legit.

#4 ·
You are right, it is a device used for satellite piracy and it does come from Google AdSense which places ads on websites based on the keywords found on that site. FTA was probably one of the main keywords the advertiser specified when putting the ad on Google. As of today, the ad is still showing up from time to time.

You may report this ad specifically by clicking on the following link:

http://adwords.google.com/support/aw/bin/request.py?hl=en&origin=cluster&contact_type=feedback&rd=1

When it asks you about the ad's link location, paste in the following:

Code:
http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/aclk?sa=L&ai=BszrwGit3T62SI-2EgAL1u9zjDauB3NICk4bu1inAjbcB4LYNEAEYASD12ssYOABQq5u2yAFg_aCZgegDsgESd3d3LmRpZ2l0YWxob21lLmNhugEKMzAweDI1MF9hc8gBAtoBNWh0dHA6Ly93d3cuZGlnaXRhbGhvbWUuY2EvZm9ydW0vZm9ydW1kaXNwbGF5LnBocD9mPTU34AEDyAL7tJgj4AIA6gIKNzAyOTIyNTAwMZAD4AOYA-ADqAMByAMd6AP1A-gD5QHoAw31AwAJAMT1AwAAABDIBAHgBAGgBgI&num=1&sig=AOD64_0xXp7L8IbiAbP-kvmg17XXsp_6JQ&client=ca-pub-7206021554793048&adurl=http://x-fta.ca&nm=2&nx=92&ny=155
With enough people complaining about it, Google should pull the ad.

Regards,

Dr. Sat

#7 ·
It's basically a router with the ability to work as a wireless bridge similar to most other routers but it includes a built-in serial to ethernet adapter as well. It is designed to enable older receivers which don't have an ethernet port to be connected to the Internet for satellite piracy purposes.

Regards,

Dr. Sat

#8 ·
So the product is perfectly legal; only that particular application is illegal. Kind of like a gun used in a robbery. You can't criticize a dealer for that. This product could allow me to wirelessly network the RS-232 port on my Openbox S9 so I can easily upload / download user data from the comfort of my easy chair.

#9 ·
...which you can already do now, using the S9's existing ethernet port and STBHD_LAN_MM.exe
U can upload satellite / channel config to the box from ur couch.
An ethernet port on an STB is almost a necessity these days given hardly any computers come with RS-232 ports anymore.
Much more convenient than USB too.

Actually, what would be real slick is a Web Interface so ya could configure the STB via ur web browser, much like talking to ur router.
, etc.

#10 ·
Agree with all. I use the ethernet port myself to do just that now and I'm having a problem giving that up, if I change receivers. This is my major complaint with a new sat receiver about to come out: it has no network capability. Big mistake in 2012. I think any who think capability to transfer data in/out via a router isn't necessary, haven't used that feature before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.