Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Xbox 360 Defective and Replacement Process...

Tags
lemon pos
73K views 543 replies 136 participants last post by  callummcgraw 
#1 ·
Had 360 now for about 3.5 months, light use. Was working fine Dec 8 at lunch when I popped it on for a few mins to see what might be new to
download, all was well. Never had an issue to date. That evening I turn it on and get the 3 flashing lights. All the troubleshooting didn't work.

Fortunately I bought extended warranty. Call support and find out that
there is no longer free shipping to MS repair, even with warranty, new policy
as of Dec 1. So I bitch and complain and finally get them to ship it free
due to all my previous issues with trying to even buy an extended warranty
(long story, took 5 calls, 2 faxes, and 3 weeks to get).

So now I'm basically without the 360 till after the new year as both I and
the CSR agreed the chances were slim to nil of getting it back before then
with holiday shipping and days off.

So a new console used lightly and properly with no issues to date just dies
out of the blue, no warning at all. Grand :-|

In terms of the replacement process in Cnaada I understand they send new units, not refurbs so that is a plus I guess.

What expereince have people had with the return process? How long does it typically take to get the return box, ship it back, and receive a replacement unit?

See less See more
#2 ·
I have had to send in two units. The first time it took weeks to get the box for shipping. I found out that they screwed up on the shipping and had to call several times to get it straightened out. Once I had the box and shipped it back (on a Wednesday), I received the new unit on Monday.

My new Xbox died two weeks later. The second time, I received my box in a couple days and again shipped it out on a Wednesday and received it the next Monday.

If you don't get your box in 3 or 4 days, call back and check to see if they processed the order correctly.

#3 ·
My 360 suddenly quit in late August. It was manufactured in October '05. I was really pissed off because it was mint and I hardly ever used it. I just knew it was because of faulty hardware and I didn't want to pay for their shoddy design, so I waited until Microsoft admitted there was a problem (more than the misleading 5% first reported) with launch consoles, which was weeks later. I really can't remember exactly how long it took to get it back because like I said, I don't play it every day, but I think it took 2 weeks or less. The one I have now was manufactured in May '06. Was yours made later than '05? Am I ever going to be pissed if this one dies in another 8 months.

#4 ·
I had an original launch model, manufactured in Oct 05. It died about 2 weeks ago. They sent me a box, I sent the unit back (minus hard drive and power supply) and received another unit that was dated May 06. The whole process took less than two weeks and I was happy with the response. $hit happens, I did not have to pay a cent for shipping and was impressed with the folks I talked with on the phone. Repair center is in Vaughan, Ontario and with me being in Ottawa, it did not take long at all for the shipping. I will now pay for the extra warranty, just in case something happens to the replacement unit.

#7 ·
I am on my third Xbox 360. My first one died one month after the system launched, on December 26th. It took Microsoft almost a month to send me the box because they were screwing things up somewhere. I had to call and harass them every day, eventually it got straightened out and the next day had the box at the door.

The second time it died was beginning of october. That statement they told you about new policy not to pay for shipments as of december 1st is a load of bull. They told me the same thing back in october that it was just changed in september or something.

All in all, I feel you're pain man.

Also about the sending back new units. I don't know if thats true. They sent me a refurbished one. I can tell its refurbished because its got some slight scratches on it, and it was made a week from when my previous one was made (october 2005)

#8 ·
I can't begin to describe the brutal experience I had with MS on a defective 360. Simply put, the very worst customer service experience of my life. I didn't have to pay anything, but the rude treatment on the phone, the poor information, the laziness, the time involved, and everything else make really question whether I buy anything from MS every again. The only good thing I would say is that MS Canada (when I finally figured out how to reach someone with some authority) is going to send me some free stuff to make up for it.

To the poster who was impressed by the Xbox Support phone staff ... you got really lucky. I will never talk to those ______ again. If the new box breaks, I would rather throw it away then ever go through this again.

#9 ·
It was the CSR that told me they only send new units out in Canada, for whatever that is worth.

JohnnyCanuck - Care to PM me your contact at MS Canada? I plan to follow up on this with a letter explaining my issues and concerns. I have been a MS based developer for nearly 15 years now, having spent thousands of dollars on MSDN and related over the years, so I am bit unhappy with the current treatment on the 360 issues I have been through to date.

#11 ·
I bought the extended warranty from EB games. It was one free replacement within a year of purchase, no questions asked.

My friend took advantage of this when his XBox 360 failed. He has the same extended warranty with EB and he didn't have to deal with Microsoft.

#12 ·
Well I called last night to get the tracking number of my return box that I was told would be shipped out this weekend. What I found out was that it never shipped yet and that the service department isn't open weekends and therefor does not ship then either. So I guess the first CSR either lied or did not know. When I mentioend that last night I was told that they have a lot of new call center support staff that were added to handle the volume of recent calls and a lot are not properly trained, to which I said "not my problem and not a valid excuse".

The CSR last night also told me that due to the volume they did not get to my case yet and hence haven't processed the box shipping, she also went on to explain that MS was doing everything possible to fix these issues and have extended warranties, etc. I told her that none of this doesn't help me and nor was my warranty extended as I don't have a 2005 unit, however she didn't seem to care in the least. Basically I just have to waint until they get to it. When I mentioend the class action suits being filed and numbers of issues being reported in the forums she said that was still a very small number compared to the number sold and thus was not a defect.

So they are adding new CSRs and admit they are behind due to volume of issues coming into the service center yet there are no real issues.

I can see this soap opera dragging on for some time...

#13 ·
Not to defend them but I hear their sales are through the roof due to lack of WII's and PS3's so it could be newbies and not defectives that are creating their traffic problems.

Still hope the come through for you though. Mine just died as well and with every one of my sons Christmas presents being based around the 360 I may just bite the bullet and buy another core system with extended warranty to be sure that there is a working box there for Christmas and avoid the headache, also will have lots of spare parts that way.

#14 ·
It is the service department itself that is busy as well, not just the CSRs so that seems to imply boxes being shipped back for repair more so than jsut newbies calling for help.

Same issue here, going to be a few 360 based gifts that can't be used come Christmas morning :( Don't have the money to burn to go buy a new spare at this point.

I'm jsut going to keep calling them daily for updates until I get the new unit, only thing I can do at this point. What worries me is that I have heard stories of any where from 8 days to 5 weeks to get a replacement, it seems all too easy for your request to fall through the cracks at MS if you don't keep on them and follow up. Took me 4 calls and 2 faxes just to get an extended warranty.

#20 ·
Freind of mine had his die last night. He's off to Costco to try and exchange it today.

But there is no defect with the 360s, just two consoles purchased at totally different times from totally different stores happen to die within a week of each other :rolleyes:

#22 ·
I have an Oct 05 XBox 360 that my brother bought me for xmas last year (to return the favor I got him a PS3 - whole other story :cool: ). I've been a pretty regular user of it.

Recently (after 1080p upgrade from XBox Live - widely as reported), it started experiencing startup issues. At first it would happen occasionally (power up - nothing happings, or you get 3 red lights on ring of lights), then it started happening more frequently, and finally it stopped working completely 2 Sundays ago.

At that point, I called XBox support and explained the problem (none of the issues reported in some of the other posts in terms of being difficult to deal with). They said they would replace it at no cost (I keep the HDD, controllers etc) and they'll ship me the box. They did say that it would take a minimum of 4 business days. It is now 8 business days later and I haven't received it yet so I will be calling to follow-up

I am a bit concerned about turnaround time given what I've read here... so hopefully I'll get the new unit back before the holidays... It sucks cause I just got XBox Live a few weeks ago and I just received (from GetGames.ca) FEAR and Gears of War so I really haven't been able to enjoy them yet :mad:

I will post an update on how things progress...

BTW I read in OXM that Microsoft has officially admitted that there is an unusally high number of defects and as a result they are replacing units made in 05 at no cost and reimbursing customers who have already paid for repair... so anyone who paid to get their 05 unit repaired or replaced should look into getting reimbursed

#23 ·
Your getting no hassle as it is a 2005 unit, which they admitted had issues and they extended the warranty to 1 year. On newer units like I have it is still only 90 days.

As for getting it before the holidays, good luck with that. I don't think it is going to happen. From my calls to date they have no clue if the return boxes are even shipping out. Every time I call I get a different story.

#24 ·
I am on my 3rd 360 also, but i bought from costco, just take the broken one in and pick up a new one. too many problems with these machines imho.

same day exchange *)

#26 ·
Well made my daily call to custoemr support to see where my return shipping box is. Still no tracking number or indication it shipped or not but the guy "assures" me that I will have it today or Friday as that is within the 3-5 business day window from last Friday.

When I asked what if I don't get it all he said was "I'm sure you will get it" but he has no clue since the srvice department hasn't updated anything since the order was placed originally.

#29 ·
My order was placed Friday, its now Thursday and no tracking number. I've been told the "takes a day or so" story now for 4 days, so take that for what it is worth. They have no clue and will make up whatever it takes to get you off the line and not question them too much.

#32 · (Edited)
Well it just gets better. I just spoke to a CSR who said it hasn't shipped yet and was still in pending status. She spoke to her supervisor who cancelled the order and reentered it so now I have to wait 5 days from today.

Apparently the order was not placed right and that should have been noticed long ago but never was. She said there are a number of new CSRs that have been hired forthe holidays that do not know the systems and thus did not properly check it and confer with a supervisor.

So basically a week later I am back to square one on this.

This is beyond a joke at this point. Apparently MS does not care as they are not taking any actions to improve the current mess that we have to deal with at support.

UPDATE - Spent an hour on hold for a tier 2 agent. First time the CSR accidentally hung up on them so then I had to wait again. After an hour I was told there were no tier 2 agents taking calls tonight. So they scheduled a callback to me for Friday.

#34 ·
Ya I faxed them Monday, not a word from them. I truly beleive they don't care at this point.

My friend had his replaced at Costco 2 days ago, he has got the 3 light issue 3 times now on the new unit and is going to have to do another exchange. When it works the 360 is great but sadly it is a defective product that I beleive need to be recalled and properly fixed. Custoere service also need to be replaced as the current setup is a joke.

#35 ·
I'm also waiting for a replacment console,called the 1-800-4myxbox # and they told me that they were waiting for another shipment of consoles to come in from California.Must be alot of replacements going out,which means a heck of alot of defective units out there.Keeping my fingers crossed for a before x-mas delivery,but with the holiday mail who knows.

Ed

#36 ·
Ed - Well that is a new story, waiting on more consoles. Never been told that one in all my calls. I truly believe the yare lieing to us to just make excuses until MS decides what if anything needs to be done plus those they can turn away then all the better. The focus right now is to sell as many new consoles as possible I suspect, not handle returns and repairs.

I'm suppose to get a tier 2 callback today, but I'm not holding my breath on it.

#37 ·
My friend had his replaced at Costco 2 days ago, he has got the 3 light issue 3 times now on the new unit and is going to have to do another exchange.
Yeah, that happened to me. Mine was an April/06 unit bought in July, started misbehaving about 2 weeks ago. Finally took it to Costco and returned it, got a new unit built in late July. Red lights on startup for the new unit, but after doing the cable unplug/replug, it was fine. Downloading all my already purchased content (XBLA games, CoD2 maps) was painless, I was actually impressed with that.

Then red lights again. And again last night; checked this AM and still Ring of Death. Good thing Costco isn't busy leading up to the holidays. I never even got a chance to take all the clear protective stickers off the housing. :(

Just so long as I don't come lose to breaking Devin Hester's return record. :-D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.