Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Used: iPhone 3G or 3GS

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  notsure 
#1 ·
looking for a used iPhone that is either unlocked or locked to fido, I am looking on behalf of a friend who isn't financially stable at this time. He is looking to spend at the most of 50-60$ for one but if you have just laying around that you could spare that would help too, if you have one that you could part with please pm me, Thanks!

#3 ·
Why a smartphone with a pricy plan to match for someone not financially stable? You will need a data plan with an iPhone.
I am not sure that is true. Isn't it possible to have a regular phone plan with an iPhone?

Which turns it into an iPod with phone capabilities when it is not within range of a Wifi network. That sort of limitation may be acceptable to some. That is almost how my iPhone 3Gs works since the 3G portion was trashed by mositure. Mine is used as a phone and used with Wifi connectivity. It is occasionally used with non3G access, but that is avoided since it is so slow - and since my partner's iPhone 3Gs still has 3G functioning....

It works, and is not bad as just a phone.

#5 ·
The difference between 3G and 3GS is almost night and day. 3G you might get for that price, but it won't be worth it - it will be excruciatingly slow, not able to run most of the current apps, and it is guranteed that the battery will be almost dead, so you'll have to pay more than for the whole phone to replace it.
If you get a 3GS for that price, it will be because it has even worse issues, or is stolen.

#6 ·
You don't "need" a data plan with any phone. The only reason the carriers require one is if you intend to purchase based on a fixed-term contract. They recoup their lower-cost phones with a data plan subsidy. Without data plans, the phones are several hundred dollars.

A used phone has long been paid for. You can just get a standard pay-as-you go plan and use wi-fi.

Fido, I believe, uses the regular Rogers network. If the phone is "locked" to Rogers, you should be fine with Fido, given a Fido SIM.

#8 ·
It was just a thought, to try and find her an iPhone as that is what she would like but wouldn't mind any other 3G phone as well, just to clarify an iPhone does not have to have data nor does any other smart phone / normal phone, they say you do but the reality is of course not true, it applies normally only to contracts as previous posters have pointed out. Either way I am still on the hunt for something reasonable inexpensive for her

#10 ·
This issue isn't with having a plan here, is that she travels and needs a phone where she can just pop a pre-paid sim in and be off and running to where ever she may travel, but like I said she wouldn't mind having any 3G phone that just worked as a phone doesn't have to be an iphone like i said

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.