Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Sony Blu-Ray Code for Shaw universal remote

19K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  leafan69 
#1 ·
would like to program the dvd button on my shaw universal remote to control a sony blu ray player. none of the codes listed under dvd's:sony work nor does the scanning technique. pls help...

#2 ·
Learning Remote

Do you have the original remote? If no one else knows the code you require, you can use the learning feature on the Shaw remote to train Shaw remote with the various functions of the Sony remote. It seems like a bit of a pain to train all of the functions, but I've done it multiple times for various peripherals of mine (TV, HTPC) and it takes less than 10 minutes to do each new device.

#8 ·
Same boat

I am in the same boat as you chuck84. I went as far as returning my Sony and getting a toshiba DVD/Blu Ray combo but had no luck with it either. Anyone (iwannaflatpanel) able to talk me through the learn remote function. I'll google first to see if it's there. Thanks in advance.

#9 ·
sony remote question

had the same question with Shaw Universal Remote, and controlling a sony combo vcr/dvd player. Unfortunately, my mom lost the original remote, so learning remote unavailable. Apparently, though, Sony stuff only works with Sony Remotes (this came from Sony). No use of a Universal Remote is allowed
as far as I know.sorry. I hope someone can prove me wrong

John B

#10 ·
Not entirely true. Sony TVs work just fine with Shaw remotes but not Blu-Ray. Best bet is to get a Logitech Harmony or other universal remote that does support more than just the TVs.

#12 ·
From my experience, the Sony Blu-ray players and theSony DVD players use different sets of codes so that trying DVD player code sets would not help.

I have two Sony DVD jukeboxes and one Blu-ray jukebox. In setting up my Harmony One I found that the Sony DVD and Blu-ray codes were different. When I got my Sony Blu-ray jukebox I was thinking I would have to use the third DVD code set to not overlap my two Sony DVD juxeboxes but found that they were different codes sets. I now use DVD code sets 1 and 2 for the DVD jukeboxes and Blu-ray code set 1 for the Sony Jukebox.

As the Blu-ray is newer equipment, older remotes would not have support for the Blu-ray code sets but I don't know when or what remotes would be missing the Blu-ray ones.

#14 ·
Problem solved

After having no luck whatsoever I walk into Costco yesterday and in the clearance section is a Panasonic DVD/Blu Ray combo on sale. I figured what the heck I'll try one more time and voila-it works with the first code I inputted. So the Toshiba goes back and I saved my self $25 and only need one remote for all my components again. A roundabout fix I know but a fix all the same. Good luck to the rest of you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.