Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

MPEG4 Receiver swap starts October 23rd 2011, Read Post 1.

277K views 1K replies 210 participants last post by  Lukus2020 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Edit by 57: If you're thinking of buying or selling a 9200 or 6100 for use on BTV, please read post 1 of the following thread and the link there. These STBs will no longer be activated by Bell. Buying/selling discussions should also be in that thread, not this swap thread.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=38236

Thank you very much to m3repair for supplying the following summary information regarding the swap process:

SUMMARY NOTES:

1. You can call Bell to request a new replacement receiver now if you have 6100's and/or 9200's that are active on your account. (able to view your subscribed programming)

2. If you have a 9200, you can request a 9242 if that's what you want, but you have to explain that you need one because you use the function of TV2 at secondary television location. Edit 2012.03 - 9242s are quite difficult to get now. Good luck - try chat... Several times perhaps...

3. You can do this all via "chat" (under contact us on bell.ca) but ensure you get the reference number. You may also want to save the chat log in case you get shipped a 9241 by mistake and wanted a 9242 and have to resolve that problem.

4. You can check status of your order/STBs (confirming that a 9242 or 9241 or 6131 has been added to your account) by going to the website and "changing PIN"/ "manage account" (If you want a tracking number you can wait a day or two and then call Bell and ask for the tracking number) either from Canada Post or Purolator.) (In the options on the left hand side there should also be an option to synchronize programming once you have your unit)

5. Stamped on the outside of the brown shipping box is the model number of the receiver. If it has a R after the numbers it will be a refurbished model.

6. A UHF kit can be obtained for your 6131 by calling retentions. (may take a few tries for them to send it to you)

7. You can keep the old STBs. (9200's, 6100's) for parts or use or viewing previously recorded content.

8. From the instructions: "To ensure uninterrupted service, please replace your HD PVR within the next two weeks". 9200 is usually deactivated in 2-4 Weeks.

9. How to Transfer Recorded Content from your 9200 to 924X Thread -->
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=147323

10. Uses for 9200 and 6100 after you swap:
(Side note: For those wondering what to do with your used 9200 and or 6100 that seems to be no longer of use here some suggestions:

A.)Use your 9200 to view your previously recorded content (also can be used in step B). The 9200 doesn't need to be connected to sat for this purpose, but you may get some error messages, which you can simply cancel.
B.)Use (or sell) your 9200 as an OTA PVR or OTA viewer (6100) (with satellite feeds connected and no guide info)
C.)Save the Hard Drive from 9200 and use it when your 9242 internal drive starts to fail (tested to also ensure it works, or in a compatible computer)
D.)Save the Power Supply Board from 9200 and use it in your 9242 if it fails (tested to ensure it is possible)
E.) You will not be able to use your 9200 for SD programming. It will be deactivated.

The objective of the MPEG 4 receiver swap project is to replace all MPEG 2 receivers (models 6100, 9200) installed at customers’ premises with MPEG 4 receivers. This will allow Bell to switch all HD broadcasting to the more efficient MPEG 4 encoding, freeing up satellite capacity and allowing Bell to launch 43 new SD channels.
This will impact an estimated 193,000 customers with 240,000 receivers to be replaced.
The launch for Phase I of the project will be October 23rd, 2011. This will be followed by Phase II of the MPEG 4 swap project, starting on December 11th, 2011 and continuing until July 31st 2012. There will be a blackout period during the winter holidays.
Now for the part I do not like;

Once 9242 stock is exhausted, a 9241 + 5900 will be shipped to the customer instead (only for two room solution)
So there you have it, no longer a Rumour, it is a fact.

Edit - Rumour thread, now closed:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=139105

See less See more
#4 ·
On Oct. 23 I leave the country for a month's vacation. Given the demand that probably means that by the time I get back all the 9242s will be gone. For various technical issues I can't accept a 9241 and and 5900 so I guess I might as well accept that my days with Bell are probably over.

#9 ·
As per the first paragraph, "to replace all MPEG 2 receivers (models 6100, 9200) installed at customers’ premises with MPEG 4 receivers".

Pre-activated MPEG 4 replacement receivers will be shipped to customers prior to the technician appointment
Although it is expected that as box's arrive with Customers, if they are able they will be swapping them out themselves. If a customer wants a Technician to do the swap a Service Call will be generated.

#10 ·
Do we have to wait for a letter in the mail, or can we phone in to try to get a 9242? I use the PIP and split screen alot so I really need a 9242. If I don't I will definitely think about cancelling Bell as well.:(

Does anyone know if Bell can add more HD channels while improving the quality of the picture using MPEG4? How much more efficient is MPEG4 over MPEG2?

#13 ·
Do we have to wait for a letter in the mail, or can we phone in to try to get a 9242? I use the PIP and split screen alot so I really need a 9242. If I don't I will definitely think about cancelling Bell as well.:(
The 9241 is a dual tuner receiver so it can do PIP and Split Screen. The difference between the 9242 and the 9241 is that the 9242 can send a TV signal to a second TV where as the 9241 can only send the TV signal to one TV. Also, the 9242 has an integrated OTA tuner.

Since I don't need the features of the 9242, if I receive one of those I'll trade it for a 9241 if I can and free it up for someone who legitimately needs the features of the 9242. I hope others will do the same.

#18 ·
Nope. I can only hope that they provide a UHF Extender, like they did with the 6000 swap a few years ago.

I know of hundreds of Commercial locations, with 6100's hidden above the suspended ceilings.....lol

#12 ·
Do you know the procedure?
I have contacted PR at Bell and asked them the same question. They promised to get back to me tomorrow and I will let you all know.

#16 ·
The 9241 does have a dual tuner, but it does not do PIP or split picture. You can't even swap tuners like you can with the 9200 to watch two things at once. The only way to watch two things at once with the 9241 is to record both channels and go back and forth from the PVR list.

The 9241 is similar to the Shaw Cable boxes that are dual tuner, and don't do PIP even though there is a PIP button on the Shaw remote. You can swap tuners with the Shaw boxes, but you cannot with the 9241.

#17 ·
OTA is THE reason I bought my 9200. You can actually record three programs at the same time, two satellite and one OTA. I record ALL my US programs OTA. I hate sim subs where you often miss portions of the beginning or end of shows. I will wait and see what they offer but if it does not include OTA I will not accept it.

#27 ·
I have 6 receivers on my account already, including 1 9242. I imagine they will try and give the replacement 9242s to the custumers who already have 6 on their account.

UPDATE: I just got off the phone with Bell.. I have two receivers to be replaced, a 9242 and a 6100. He said that since we already have 6 receivers on our account, if we didn't end up getting a 9242 in the swap they would most likely make an exception and allow a 7th (this isn't official, just what he told me). I actually don't mind if we don't get a 9242. We do use the 2nd tuner out, but I could make it work with the free 5900..

#28 ·
@ AFF The limit is 6 Receivers NOT 5.
@ Peano I agree, a 9241 & 6131, would also be acceptable to me.
@ Interceptor No they will NOT be MPEG4, if they were no-one with a 3100,4100,5900 would be able to see them. They may well go onto 82 but I doubt it. Who knows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.