Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

New Shaw Modem / Router?

46K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  tux 
#1 ·
I keep seeing Shaw's commercials on TV about running a wireless network. Is Shaw now giving away modem's with wireless capabilities like Telus does? If so, how do we get one and does anyone know the performance of this router versus say the tried and true WRT54GL?

#4 ·
I looked into this just for curiosity as I own my Internet cable modem and my Dual Band Wireless-N Router with Storage Link. The later is now over 3 years old.

Shaw's offering combines the two into one box but, I believe, omits the dual band capability and the Storage Link. Although, looking at the connection diagram it seems that the box has a USB connection but there is no mention of being able to set up an external USB drive as a server.

I am currently having trouble with Internet download slow downs. I called Shaw for technical help yesterday but when I described my problem the tech said I was likely having problems with my router. I agreed as the slow down can be temporarily fixed by toggling the MTU setting on the router between Auto and a fixed value. The tech said if it was a possible problem with my router Shaw couldn't offer help and suggested I contact my router manufacturer for help which I will do. If I can't get it it fixed, I am thinking of replacing it with a new unit. Shaw's may be an option if it will fix the slow down problem. A speedtest say the slowdown is by a factor of 5 to 8. Very noticeable.

I don't like renting this type of equipment but will consider it as getting rid of one box, one power block and one connecting cable is attractive.

For someone who is just starting with Shaw Internet it is a better deal though it can expensive if you rent for more than two or three years.

#6 ·
@bowmah, at one time Shaw gave you the modem to keep. Their current terms of service include free rental of regular modems (not the wireless).
Shaw maintains ownership of equipment. Modem must be returned upon termination of service or equipment charges may apply.
You can probably pick up a WRT54GL for about a year's rental on Shaw's wireless modem.

The advantage of the Shaw modem is that they will install it for you for an extra fee.
2. How much does it cost to have the Shaw Wireless Gateway installed?
Installation is free if you choose to install the Gateway on your own with the help of our installation guide. Setup is simple and can be done in minutes. To have a Technician install the Gateway, there is a fee of $49.95.

3. What does the $49.95 installation fee cover?
A Technician will hard wire one computer and connect up to four Wi-Fi computers (laptop or PC based) to ensure you are receiving Internet service. Technicians will not connect gaming devices, printers, PDAs, other wireless components or setup printer and file sharing.

4. How secure is the Shaw Wireless Gateway?
The Gateway uses the most secure wireless networking encryption available, known as WPA2. With WPA2, you can surf confidently and know that you’re home network is free from intruders.

5. Will the Shaw Wireless Gateway work with all of my Wi-Fi devices?
The Gateway is backwards compatible with all 802.11B/G/N computers and devices. This means that any Wi-Fi device can connect to the Gateway.*.

6. I have a purchased modem, can I swap this for the Shaw Wireless Gateway?
No. The Gateway is only offered as a rental at this time. However, you are still eligible to rent the Gateway.
According to what I've read elsewhere, Shaw uses the DOCSIS 2.0 SMC8014WN-RES modem. If you have Warp, you will get the DOCSIS 3.0 SMCD3GN-RES modem.

The SMC8014WN only supports USB 1.1 for connecting a PC without an RJ45 port.

#12 ·
Hi there, the Telus Router is not Wireless N I believe. Our Bundles at regular rates are also typically less expensive than Telus so consider the bigger overall picture.

Shaw Employee but views/opinions are solely my own and do not represent or are in no way endorsed by any other party.

#8 ·
I don't mind renting the Shaw router if the reliability and throughput performance is there. If it is a stable N router that can perform as well as the WRT54GL with a 3rd party firmware, I am up for that. I have a feeling, no consumer router is better than this setup at the moment. Anyone comment?

#9 ·
The WRT54GL is a good router, but it certaintly wouldn't be my choice if I was buying a new router. ASUS RT-N16 4 Port Gigabit Wireless N Router with 2X USB 2.0 Ports (RT-N16) is somewhat more modern, and also supports 3rd party firmware.

Shaw probably doesn't feel the need to compete with Telus on the wireless modem pricing.

#10 ·
The WRT54GL has been rock solid after using Tomato. We just run Gig switches behind it but the throughput has been excellent and does not hang.

How is the router inside the ASUS RT-N16 4 Port Gigabit Wireless N Router? How doe sit perform in a heavy / business environment?

#13 ·
I think $3.95 a month is a money grab for people that don't know any better. Also N doesn't give that much more performance over G in a normal house. The only time you would see the N difference is when you are transferring between two computers using N. Also a lot of people forget that their smartphones, PS3s, iPhones, iPod Touchs, Wiis and DSs are all G and once those are on the network it will go down to G speeds anyways.

I'm glad I have my Airport Extreme Gigabit with dual band (G and N).

#14 ·
Also a lot of people forget that their smartphones, PS3s, iPhones, iPod Touchs, Wiis and DSs are all G and once those are on the network it will go down to G speeds anyways.
A dual band router, or a G router along with a dedicated N access point (or vice versa) is the way to go if you want to support both G and N devices without slowing down the N connections.

I'm glad I have my Airport Extreme Gigabit with dual band (G and N).
BTW, G and N are standards, not bands. The bands are 2.4GHz for B/G/N and 5GHz for A/N.

#16 ·
I run both the WRT54GL and the new wireless gateway and to be honest they both work equally as well. Was quite impressed after beta testing it for a few months on my wireless equipment upstairs in my house (wanted it close to my kitchen to see if anything would interfere). I had a few random disconnection issues on my wifes computer but I blamed that more on her wireless card (Antenna has been destroyed). Everything else worked flawlessly (iphone, ps3, macbook) without issues.

The wireless gateway comes pre-configured with wireless security enabled so all you'll have to do is plug it in and configure your wireless networks accordingly. The password is based upon unique identifiers within the device so each one is different.

The new wireless N gateway is aimed more for our customers that aren't as technically inclined and like knowing that we'll be there to support the basic wireless connectivity of the router. These customers usually don't want to deal with multiple support departments if their 3rd party router fails or has problems.

If you're comfortable with your 3rd party router there's really no need switching to the new gateway unless you want to upgrade to a N capable router.

Sean
Shaw Employee - Customer Care for Social Media

#18 ·
So is there no 1 SUPER STANDOUT wireless router that can get the job done these days? The WRT54GL is a very reliable piece of equipment but it would be nice to have a stable N gateway running these days with all the media streaming going on. What is the best unit to buy that is under $200? Requirement is that it has to be super stable and allow high throughput for small business use.

#24 ·
Absolutely. But in most categories of any product in the market, there are usually a few winners where they lead the field. In the wireless N router arena, not one stands out at the moment like the WRT54GL did. Still don't know which one I would purchase to replace the aging WRT54GL.

#27 ·
I have the new router/modem. Just got it yesterday. Shaw is giving it to me at no charge. I also have a belkin wireless n router as well as the previous modem that I had purchased from Shaw a couple of years ago. My question is this: Can I set up the combo unit to be a dedicated n router to communicate with my computers and xbox, and at the same time set up the belkin to be g only to communicate with my android phone and iphone.

#28 ·
My question is this: Can I set up the combo unit to be a dedicated n router to communicate with my computers and xbox, and at the same time set up the belkin to be g only to communicate with my android phone and iphone.
Yes. On your Belkin router:
- Set a static IP address that is on the same subnet, but outside the range of addresses provided by the DHCP server on the Shaw router.
- Enable "Use as access point" if that option is available, or just disable the DHCP server.
- Set the Wireless Mode to "B/G".
- Give the G wireless network a different SSID than your N network.

Connect the Belkin router (don't use the WAN port) to the Shaw router just like any other network device and you should be in business. Your G devices can connect to the Belkin access point and will be assigned an IP address by the Shaw router.

#30 ·
@wassaby

You need to provide more information in order for this question to be answered. Short answer is, you need to log into your wireless router from your computer, check the wireless settings, it will give you the passphrase, and you enter that passphrase into your iPhone.

Long answer, if you don't know HOW to log into your wireless router, you would either need to consult your router manual for that info, or provide your router brand and model number to obtain the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.