Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

random curiosities about the cable TV delivery system

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  billpaidJr 
#1 ·
I work in new construction, and a week ago some Rogers techs were in the building wiring up the suites for cable... each floor had an electrical closet with 12 connectors for each of the suites, which then fed into a much thicker line that eventually wound up somewhere downstairs. This got me thinking that I don't have a clue how this stuff works, so Im curious to know. I probably should've asked the tech :rolleyes:

Are residential streets wired in a similar way? Where do all the cables terminate and where does the "smart" equipment start? The way it looked to me in this particular building, the units aren't differentiated between, they all just tunnel into one big fat pipe, is it the same for streets and houses? How do they know who's ordering which channels and pay-per-views etc?

#3 ·
But it seems to me they have no clue where the box is physically, other than a general area or a whole building? I thought the system was smarter than that. But it looks to me like this entire building could, theoretically, run on a single Rogers account with a bunch of registered boxes, and then the account holder charges the tenants and pockets the money. Obviously it would raise some flags if one account had 50 boxes, but its a theoretical situation anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.