Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

MTS Ultimate Router Help!

11K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  bman77 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm getting MTS Ultimate installed on Monday as an upgrade form MTS Classic. From what I've heard MTS Ulitimate comes with a router that must be used. However I want to use my WNR3500L as it is Gigabit and Wireless N. I will have two TVs, one wired computer, and my xbox wired.

I think I have a plan, please tell me if this would work. I will first disable wireless on the 2wire and make sure the nat is open, I will then check the dhcp range and pick an address outside of it to assign my other router, I will also set that address as the DMZ server.

Then from one of the ports of the 2wire i will plug it into the Wan port on my router, I will then go to my router setup and change to the ip I selected before. I plan to keep DHCP running on both routers, is this okay?

Then, I have my Xbox and main PC setup on static IPs for port forwarding so I don't want to make them automatic so I would change the Gateway to the routers new IP and check if there is a new DNS server.

I think that will be all I need to do but please tell me if I should do something differently or if I'm missing something, as I am a networking noob. By the way I will be getting lightning max.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I am a networking noob.

Thanks
Wo, you don't sound like a noob! Now I AM a networking noob. Routers and ports and IPs send panic shocks straight through my brain. I will say this, though: The router/main unit device you get with mts has been a godsend. It runs the PS3 and 360 wired (which I can share with the TV if need be--which I don't), and the PC wired, and the laptop wirelessly. With zero fuss. Zero port tinkering. Zero thought whatsoever. All you ever have to do is put the password into your mobile device. Everything works 100% for me. Gaming is lag free (my husband was just telling a friend he consistently gets a 4 bar connection playing Black Ops, whatever that means) and I never notice the internet slowing down.

You might want to test it out before you start doing all that other stuff. It hurts my brain just reading your post. :p

#3 ·
Thanks for your post plum,
I understand that I could easily use the MTS supplied router but it just doesn't suit my needs and I already have a very good router. I am going to set it up, I'm just wondering if the steps I'm following are all I need to do or if there will be any problems.
Thanks

P.S.
Thanks for saying I'm not a noob :)

#5 ·
Thanks for the post!
I understand that I could easily use the MTS supplied router but it just doesn't suit my needs and I already have a better router so why not use it? I'm just wondering if the steps I oulined are good or if I would be doing something wrong or leaving something out.
Thanks

P.S.
Thanks for saying I'm not a noob :)

#8 ·
bman, you should be able to plug the WAN port of your router into any 4 ports on the 2wire. You can put your Router in a DMZ which would allow all ports to forward to your router. By default the wireless on the 2wire is off, if you are nice enough and the tech has time and is decent, he may be able to help you. I have done this for people in the past.

let us know how it goes!

#13 ·
The Tech support people are either wrong or confused.... in their own instructions in step 6 it says to plug into the LAN port...

6. Plug an Ethernet cable from the MTS 2Wire RG to a LAN port on your 3rd party router.
NOTE: Do not plug the cable into the WAN port of your router. Your network may not function correctly if this is done.

#11 ·
no you do not change anything on your router. as far as your router "knows" the 2wire is only a modem. It will assign your router an IP address, and then your router will function just like it would any other time.

about the LAN/WAN as others are suggesting

if you are not familiar with networking, the way i described using the WAN port is the easiest. The only time you use a LAN port is if you want to shut DHCP off on your router and change your router's IP to be in the range of the 2wire, and let your 2wire be the DHCP server for your whole network. This is much more complicated and you can easily screw things up. If you use the LAN port of your router and plug that into the 2wire without shutting DHCP server off on your router, you will have 2 DHCP servers on 1 network (your router and the 2wire) and they will interfere and cause issues with the TV's and eventually bringing the whole network down

#12 ·
Ok, thanks a lot, the simpler the better! Is it possible to broadcast two ssids (one from eachrouter) As I have my router on WEP just for my DS but I know WEP sucks, so then I could put the 2 wire on WEP and use it for my DS and put my NETGEAR on WPA2 as my main wireless network. I probably won't do this, but would it be possible?

Thanks

#16 ·
There's no advantage to having 1 router with WEP and one with WPA2. That's like locking the back door, but leaving the front door unlocked. If someone wants to hack your network, they'll use the WEP SSID.

If you use WEP, you could use MAC filtering to tighten security.

As I write this, it might make sense to use 2 SSIDs, with the WEP router locked down to 1 MAC. The WPA2 router would allow more flexibility, if you have guests who want to use your network, etc. I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work, although you may have to use separate channels.

#18 ·
I think the ds does actually support wpa. I did a google search one time and i'm positive i found something. I think you have to use the 3rd or 4th network setup or selection in the settings. Best to just search google. HTH

#19 ·
I'm being told to plug the 2wire into the Netgear Wan port and to not change the ip on the router and to just let the 2wire assign it it an ip in the dhcp range. If I do this will I still be able to set my router as the DMZ server. I need to do that because I port forward a lot. Anyways, if I only plug in the two tvs and the router would the ips ever change? Or would the tvs constantly remained connected to one ip as well as the router? I need my routers ip to stay the same for DMZ, so how would I do that?

As for the DS I have tried wpa, it doesn't work, I have an old ds lite.

Thanks

#20 ·
I got it working! I just plugged in the 2wire to the wan port and set it to auto, and on the new 2wire I have (8001) there is an option to make a mac address the dmz rather tham the ip, so I am alos running two wifi networks, it worked like a charm!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.