Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

CNET Editor wishes HD-DVD to Surrender by September

17K views 164 replies 49 participants last post by  Gord Lacey 
#1 ·
Interesting item on CNET... Perhaps not wanting another repeat of the SACD/DVD-A debacle... CNET editor predicts, more like wishes, that HD-DVD would just bow out, for the sake of the survival of HD format itself.

Check out item #4: Seven tech predictions for '07

#157 ·
The marketing wars based on name will begin when hi-def players are readily available for $199 and less in Wal-mart. For now, the few J6Ps that have heard of BluRay from their friends in IT and the the annoying sales kids at Future Shop, regard it as a potential purchase as much as they do a Lamborghini. HD DVD is not much better, but is at least in the "Corvette" territory. There's a long way for both formats to the golden "Honda Civic" price level, and that is when J6P will decide what to purchase based on name, brand recognition and title selection.

#158 ·
I guess we're veering a bit of topic, but further to what Arthur said, the time it takes to get the price within the desired level is when both side will be working on their marketing.

That's why, as much as it annoys early adaptors and many who actually understand the technology, the statements made by sony are smart. Confident comments about the certainty that their product will defeat the other may seem hollow to us, but will affect the average consumer at purchase time... (even if they have only backed it up just a little)

#160 ·
But J6P takes the advice of "techie" or "non-J6P" sales people/friends/relatives and if the message works on them, it will be relayed to J6P.

Not to mention, I think our concept of J6P needs a bit of a lift. I know a few people I would easily classify as J6P, and more of them are doing rudementary web searches/browsing.

Cal

#161 ·
I'm not saying that J6P does not use the Internet, just that our geek gossip about what has been said on a subject that does not interests him a tiny bit is worthless.
YMMV, but I've never had a person from that group approach me with a question about HD DVD, BluRay or even SD DVD players (they just buy a $59 player without too much research), let alone a question of the sort "Did anybody at Sony's marketing department say anything about who is expected to win the hi-def format war? ;)

#165 ·
YMMV, but I've never had a person from that group approach me with a question about HD DVD, BluRay or even SD DVD players (they just buy a $59 player without too much research), let alone a question of the sort "Did anybody at Sony's marketing department say anything about who is expected to win the hi-def format war? ;)
I actually got into a discussion about Blu-ray and HD DVD with 4 drunk army guys at a party one night. They were very interested in the pros and cons of each format, and none of them were leaning one way or the other when the discussion started.

I've also helped pick out at least 10 DVD players for people, and none of them sold for $59 ;)

Gord

#162 ·
All facetiousness aside, I have had plenty of my friends' fathers or mothers ask me about recommendations on electronic, computer, gadgets, <insert any technology item, new thing etc> and I am telling you that if the those Sony messages (or any other vendor messaging) works on me or others like me, then I will use it in my decision to recommend items to those people and those messages will have done their jobs quite nicely.

Cal

#163 ·
With all due respect, but even those who seek your advice about a DVD player, will most likely ignore it, if you recommend a $799 purchase when there is one available for $59. My point is and was that it is too early to involve J6P in this game. And before he gets involved, there will be no winners in the war. Actually "war" is too strong a word for what is going on right now.

#164 ·
ok, I won't belabour this, but I am aware and smart enough to understand what my target audience is looking for and what they are willing to pay.

I also didn't say that J6P was getting involved right at this moment, but that when this were to happen, either they will do what you suggest which is just simply buy the cheapest or look to others they know for recommendations (and at that time, I suspect the pricing between units will not have such a price difference).

Cal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.