Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Rent-to-own PVR problem

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  antonk 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

I signed up for the 3-year PVR monthly payment plan (rent-to-own, not a rental) in July, and I am leaving Shaw because of a competitor's promo. I was told when I signed up, that if I left Shaw, I would be stuck paying the $10 a month for 3 years regardless of my services with Shaw. I said that was fine. They told me it was billed separately and will come off of my credit card independently of my bill. Now when I call to cancel my services, they are telling me that I have to pay the remaining balance on the PVR because they are closing the account! I never agreed to this, and they are claiming that I signed a contract saying that I did. I may have, but I don't remember signing any such document. I have asked them to produce this document. I am fine taking the $10 a month hit, but I can't afford to pay $300+ all at once. I am thinking of going back to Shaw when this promo is up, so can I use that to my advantage? Is there anything I can do? I am going to my retail outlet soon to "discuss" it with them. Thanks

#4 ·
I get what you're saying, but I don't think it's fair to say that "they didn't mislead anyone" when the guy on the phone told me that if I left Shaw, it would not affect the independent billing for the PVR. The way he explained it to me, this was an independent transaction separate from my account. There is no contract for my services, only a contract for the PVR. It is not "common sense" that if you close your chequing account, you have to pay off your mortgage at the same bank.

#5 ·
Unfortunately, CSRs often don't provide correct information. Sorry. The terms are probably available in writing on your bill or on the provider's website and what a CSR says is not relevant, unless it got put in your record file and even then if the CSR made a mistake a senior person can overrule.

#6 ·
In some cases that information might actually be true, but only if you signed up before Shaw started doing their own easy pay. I'm still paying off the bill from 2 years ago when I purchased a Pace 758D (which was replaced by the DCX3400 a lot time ago), and that money is still going to Wells Fargo, not Shaw. So if I were to close my Shaw account now, I would still continue to make the monthly payments to Wells Fargo, because that is completely independent from my Shaw account.

But anything in the last year and a half or so would have been done by Shaw, so yeah, you would have to pay the balance immediately upon closing the account.

Edit: Oops, missed the July date in the original post, so my information is most likely irrelevant. But I'll leave it just in case it's relevant to someone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.