Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

OTA: Ontario Parts, Sales, Service, Installers

395K views 1K replies 458 participants last post by  folcan99 
#1 ·
I got a CM4248 from V&E Antenna in Thornhill. I've got it mounted on my rooftop and I use a rotor to fine tune.

#158 ·
best quality RG6 -- specifically in Toronto?

OK, so here's a question:

I've heard folks talking about using the best quality RG6 you can find. So where DO you find the best quality RG6 -- specifically in Toronto? Can anyone give me the name of a retailer that sells ultra-high-grade cables? How about Hosick?

I'd rather NOT get into attaching my own ends, if it can be avoided. I would prefer to buy ready-made cables. I need two 25' and two 2' cables.

#163 ·
Where to buy OTA equipment in Ottawa

Hi;

I am just getting into over-the-air high-def stuff, so don't be shocked if my facts aren't all straight.

Someone at work told me that I can get CBC (Hockey) and maybe some other stations in hi-def, over-the-air in Ottawa. Does this mean 1080i or what??

First, is this true? How many stations could I get?

Second, where could I get a tuner and the right antenna?

If you know about this stuff, please pipe in. I'd like to learn all I can and do this if possible.

Thanks, Tom.

#164 · (Edited)
Hi Tom, welcome to Digital Home. Your friend was correct, HD over-the air (OTA) in your area.
The answers to your questions are indeed found here:

The OTA Forum Knowledge Base and FAQ
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=41102

This truly is required reading for newcomers. Having read the OTA Forum Knowledge Base and FAQ, you can avoid the pitfalls of asking questions in the OTA forums that are answered here already.

When you do participate in the forums you will find folks to be friendly and keen to help.

#165 ·
Seeking Zenith or Philips indoor Yagi UHF antenna

Can anyone please tell me where to obtain from a Canadian supplier the much discussed (much praised?) but possibly now discontinued from further manufacture Philips or Zenith "Silver Sensor" beam (Yagi) directional mini indoor UHF antenna ?

It is described variously as the ZHDTV-1 or PHI PHDTV-1 and can be obtained for about $20 - $25 State side from places like Circuit City and Amazon.com but they both refuse to ship to Canada.

#168 ·
Hi Bryan,
The Silver Sensor Thread is here:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=40741

I think the reason your search failed is because of the two search functions available at the top of the page.
Take a look at the top for, 'Search this Thread' and then above that for 'Search.'

What probably has happened is the 'Search this Thread' has brought you right back here in 'this Thread.'
Whereas the 'Search' function does a search in all the forums. This would have found the Zenith Silver Sensor (and clones) OTA Antennas forum for you.

Anyway, welcome. Now go find that antenna!

#169 ·
re: Post #160

Tom, In addition to the links stampeder provided, I recommend looking over the Ottawa Reception Results thread. Currently CBOT and CBOFT are broadcasting digitally in Ottawa (digital broadcasting is required for HDTV) and both stations transmit at 1080i. Depending on where in the city you are located, and what type of antenna you use, you might also be able to pick up some of the American stations.

#175 ·
antenna sales in Ottawa

Hi everyone. I have read many of the threads about recommended antennas and I am looking to upgrade my current amplified rabbit ears. I am having trouble though locating anywhere in Ottawa other than The Source that carries good indoor or small outdoor antennas. Other than driving to the US or ordering through eBay, what are my options?

Thanks!

#181 ·
Hi everyone. I have read many of the threads about recommended antennas and I am looking to upgrade my current amplified rabbit ears. I am having trouble though locating anywhere in Ottawa other than The Source that carries good indoor or small outdoor antennas. Other than driving to the US or ordering through eBay, what are my options?

Thanks!
riboflave,

I was in the same boat as you (Rabbit Ears & speaker wires). You might like to try UsedOttawa dot com or something. I've found some new and old gears for a very resonable rate. And some bits are free, provided you are willing to climb up a tower to get it.

Good Luck and be careful on the roof.

KC

#176 ·
Hi everyone,

Just wonder where I can buy a good Bi-Directional Amplifier in Toronto? Can't find good ones in Future Shop, or Circuit City.

My usage would be Amplifier -> one to 4 splitters. Thanks!

#177 ·
antenna sales in Ottawa

Riboflave;

Other than The Source, I haven't found any place in Ottawa where you can buy a decent UHF-only antenna.

Still, I'd be interesting in getting PBS-HD so I"ve thought of ordering an outdoor antenna from Stark in the U.S. and having it shipped to Ogdensburg picking it at The UPS Store. If you wanted to double-up on an order, we'd probably save a bit on shipping...

I built my own LPDA, which works fine indoors for CBC-HD. See Post #115:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=25677

Russ in Orleans

#178 ·
Installers in Mississauga?

Just wondering if anyone has used any antenna installers in Mississauga. In particular, near Derry and the 407 area. I have a DB8 but am not up to mounting on the second story roof with a 30 degree pitch. I would need a mount and the install done. Thank you.

#179 ·
$119 Canadian is a fair price for the CM4228.
Antennas are cheap in the U.S. and you won't find cheap here in Canada.
It may be the going rate but it's not a fair price. There's a difference.
Someone down the line is making an excess profit.
Maybe it's because there's a Canadian distributor adding an extra level of expense and taking a large chunk.

#183 ·
Here are the closest dealers I've found:

Hosick Television:
1844 Jane Street, (near 400 and 401)
Toronto
(416) 243-1071

Nutech Electronics
166 Parkdale Ave. North
Hamilton, Ontario
Tel: (905) 547-8420

Make sure you call to check stock first.

Also, you can find great deals for cables, and connectors, at Sayal Electronics in Burlington and Mississauga.