Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Who has the best 4G network in BC?

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  TorontoColin 
#1 ·
I got the newest iPad because I need the fastest download speeds possible. Now I discover that the coverage I'm getting from Bell in Vancouver is WORSE that what I had with 3g. I can't find any comparisons of the coverage offered by Telus and Bell. What gives? Is everyone just rolling over and letting these companies screw us over?

#2 ·
BC is a big place. Where do you need coverage?

If by 4G you mean LTE, then it will be worse than the HSPA networks for all the carriers. For one, these LTE networks are very new, and building them out takes time. In addition, Bell, Rogers, and Telus are all using a higher frequency spectrum which won't provide as good coverage as the lower frequency spectrum they use for HSPA.

#3 ·
I live in Vancouver and yes I mean LTE. I thought 4G and LTE were the same. Bell told me that, when the LTE coverage wasn't adequate, my iPad3 would switch to a faster version of 3g. That turns out to be BS because, at home, where my 3g has been fine for the last 2 years I got no coverage at all the other day. I'm wondering if Telus might be better?

#6 ·
I believe they are operating independent LTE networks for the time being. Their HSPA network is shared though, so if you have no coverage on HSPA with Bell, you won't have Telus either.

If you have no HSPA where you normally get phone signal with a Bell or Telus HSPA phone, that means that something is wrong with your iPad or your plan. In that case, switching providers might not help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.