Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

EastLink 2012 New Channels discussion

118K views 530 replies 43 participants last post by  greenshadow 
#1 ·
New Channels always generate a lot of discussion so this thread is for discussing new channels in 2012.

You're welcome to speculate and discuss new channels coming to Eastlink in 2012 but PLEASE unless it's been confirmed by an official press release, be clear about what is speculation and what is fact.

A post saying "a CSR said it was coming" is NOT official, however, it does put it in the "highly" likely category.

If its posted on the CRTC site that its been approved by the CRTC but Eastlink has not said anything, I would consider that in the "not very likely at this time" category.

Replaces 2011: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=134522

#148 ·
What? 2 new channels? How come we are always the last....wait a minute, we've had those for a year now. :rolleyes:

Congrats on the new channels.:) Carry on.;)

P.S. Still waiting for PBS Detroit, we will get it "very soon" and NFL Network in HD.

#153 ·
Eastlink is moving some channels around, apparently to allow for future updates in the Halifax area. It appears that 7 analog channels are moving to digital, and some digital channels are being moved to higher numbers to allow space for the former analog ones. The changes are occurring on March 15th, according to Eastlink's weekly customer service email.

#156 ·
The switch of some channels from analog to digital may not be necessary in all areas, and is probably dependent on the capacity of the cable system in an individual area. Some areas are built out to a higher Mhz, and other areas, such as the city of Halifax(peninsula area), are not built out as far. That is why this switch is only being mentioned for Halifax peninsula and some surrounding areas such as St. Margaret's Bay, but not for Dartmouth, Bedford, or Sackville. (Those three areas have much higher channel capacity than Halifax)

It was only through the conversion of most, if not all, or the HD channels to MPEG4 from MPEG2 that Halifax was able to have additional channels added since last fall.

My thought is that with MPEG4 conversion essentially complete, is that the only way to free up additional space for more channels is to begin switching analog channels to digital. Every analog channel uses a huge amout of space.

#162 ·
Thanks for the tips, jimbo42. I did set things to native, and under native mode settings, there are "x's" alongside all the settings from 1080p, 30fps, all the way down to 480p. The only one my TV does not support is 480i.

I always used 1080i before, and now realize that this was probably not the best setting. I see that some HD channels broadcast in 1080i, and others are in 720p. I really notice the pause when switching to a CBC HD station broadcasting in 720p, after watching another station which was in 1080i.

Another thing I noticed is that CTV West HD looks dreadful today, and is not in HD at all, and appears to be an SD feed.

#163 ·
I tried using the the Native settings but the delay from changing channels was just too much besides I thought your TV (or was it the DVR) was supposed to convert it automatically. Is there actually a difference in video quality when tuned to a 720p or 1080i channel using the Native resolution?

I currently have my box set to 1080i.

What does the "Hollywood Suite on demand" movie selection look like? May actually sub to it if it's OK and not just 5 movies.;)

#164 ·
There are currently 25 movies listed in Hollywood Suite on demand, denben73. The main service has hundreds of movies, though.

Regarding 780p vs 1080i, I honestly cannot see much difference, and agree that the delay on switching from a 780p station to one broadcasting in 1080i can take some getting used to. As far as I can tell, the only stations using 780p are the CBC HD stations, and the others appear to be 1080i.

#165 ·
It is best to set your box to native as the less conversion you have to do too the original signal the better. It is better to just let the signal pass through as is without conversion for best possible quality.

As for HSOD I'm sure as time goes on the the quantity of movies will increase like it did with TMNOD.

#168 ·
It appears that an expedited hearing, which could have direct consequences as to whether Eastlink (and other independent distributors) will carry Bell Media channels such as Space HD, Discovery, and Bravo HD, will be held on March 22nd. Stay tuned.

It also appears that one of the major issues is the ability of these companies to offer Bell Media services as part of their on demand offerings, and if so, at what price.

Here is a link to the CRTC page.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/otf/eng/2012/8622/c193_201201110.htm

#170 ·
According to abcspark.ca, EastLink will be carrying the channel.
EastLink
SD various -- Contact EastLink for more information: 1-888-345-1111 or www.eastlink.ca
HD channel 750
Is it just me or does that HD channel number seem like it's in the middle of nowhere?

#172 ·
That was the exact number I thought it would be at. 654 or maybe 658.

Total speculating but is it possible there is an HD channel shuffle coming in the future and they are just putting it in its new spot early. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.