Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

IR/RF 600 Remote help please.

20K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Davee 
#1 ·
I have an Akai pdp 4249G plasma that i cant get to work with the 605 remote. This is the first time i have encountered this problem. i am aware that it just might not be compatable.

have there been any updated codes anywhere?

#2 ·
Call tech support and have them walk you through their process. I had to do it with our Philips tv. They took me through the "learning process".

#3 ·
First, look for the Akai TV code on the remote code.

Second, try these codes for all Funai-manufactured TV: 157 165, 211, 392, 415, 456. Those are the most common codes you'll find among unlisted TV codes.

If it's still doesn't work, you'll have to find who manufactures this TV and find the appropriate code.

#4 ·
Shaw Direct IR/RF 600 Remote TV Code Scanning Instructions

Hi tony d,

There have not been updated codes, but if you can't find one that works you can always use the Scanning method to (hopefully) find a compatible code.

1) Press ENTER and MUTE until the mode buttons at the top of the remote illuminate in rotation.
2) Press the UP arrow button one step at a time until your TV turns off.
3) Press MUTE. If the TV that turned off:
...a) Turns back on, press ENTER to save the code.
...b) Does not turn back on, press DOWN arrow button one step at a time until the TV turns back on. Press ENTER to save the code.

This is outlined in the remote manual (with a few more details) under Section 5, subsection "Point and Press Programming".

It can take a few minutes to scan through all the codes in the library!

#6 ·
Codes for jvc receiver

Manual lists 114,241,297,691 for audio set up None work for JVC Rx 8000VBK

AND scan method going one at time for ten minutes does not deliver an off code !! :mad:

My older urc 547 coupled up OK tried JVC codes for it-- no luck:confused:

Any source for codes other than manual dated 03/10 ?

I do have access to a Harmony 550

Will it deal with the 630 record & playback functions

#8 ·
Harmony success

I got the Harmony 550 doing everything including PVR controls ! Even switches TV & audio receiver inputs for occasional DVD play.
It will take some getting used to ( buttons in different places) but is the answer for remote problems & wifes who want easy start up/channel switching without fuss with inputs etc
The set up via USB port & internet is very workable.
My efforts have convinced me that the codes are always specific to the remote - even with same brand .

#9 ·
The manual you have is probably current for the date your remote was manufactured. They may have a newer build of the remote with newer codes, and its manual online, but that will not do your older remote any good probably.

Checking, my manual is dated 03/10, and was shipped to my local retailer in July 2011.
With that, I reckon there is no probably no newer remote, and therefore no newer database.

#10 ·
Once again, the disatvantage of using fixed codes remote. I bought my second Harmony 700 (this is the third Harmony remote I have). Futureshop had them in sale for $70 in boxing week. Best Buy had the 650 in sale for $50 , but I wanted the rechargable battery. Once you use these remotes there is no way going back.
If you don't care about the main feature (use "activities" - like watch TV or watch Blu-Ray etc), and you are just interested in a "classic" remote but with codes which can be updated, Logitech has now the cheap 200 and 300 series prices start from around $25...).Still better than other remotes, as you can update the codes via USB but I would strongly recommend the 600 and 700 series for more advanced features.

#11 ·
If you can mention Logiteck, I will mentio One For All.

There more advnced remotes are progrmmable, but it is not as simple as USB, and not supportedd by them. You need to buy or build a programming cable, and dowload and run free software to create or modify upgrade files, and upload them and make other setting changes on the remote. There is a user forum for programming them, which includes a user submitted database of upgrades.

I am not up on what remotes are available retail, and use that programming system. My latest remote is a URC8820, which is a few years old as it is. There are cable box remotes on eBay, many JP1.x.

For the TV with my 605, I use the remote that came with the 605 fine.

#12 ·
Yesterday a service rep talked me through the process & I got my JVC audio working with code 297 turns out you need to press an ENTER key before entering the 3 digits !
HE WAS THE MOST HELPFUL REP EVER -CHECKING MY PVR 630 diagnostic screens & TELLING ME I NEED TO TURN OFF AT NIGHT TO GET UPDATES Until now I thought I had to leave it on

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.