Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

What are you watching on Blu-ray? (and discussion of said titles)

Tags
blu-ray
375K views 2K replies 240 participants last post by  eljay 
#1 ·
I now have had the good fortune of watching two complete movies on Blu-ray and what a joy it has been.

The first was Ice Age 2 which I watched on a review 720p front projector, 100" screen and the PS3. Stunning to watch. Cute movie the kids really enjoyed.

Last night, I watched the Italian Job on a a review 1080p front projector and the PS3. I have never seen the movie and really quite enjoyed it. As far as picture quality goes, it was jaw dropping. Contrast was great, details were great, picture quality was great. Simply the sweetest picture!

#89 ·
Last night it was The Transporter. I really enjoyed this movie. The PQ and AQ were top notch and there was lots of non-stop action. I ordered the 2nd one as one of my free 5 so now I'm anxious to get it and watch. People in the US seem to already be getting their free 5 so maybe we'll be getting them soon here in Canada too.

I also watched TMNT. The PQ is amazing in this one. The story is so-so but I didn't expect much going in.

#90 ·
darrylr, the Transporter 2 IMHO was a terrible movie. I loved the first one, and therefore, saw the 2nd one in the theatres when it was originally released, but man was it terrible! So far fetched and out there that made it crap. If you've already seen it and enjoyed it, well that's a diff story. :D

#93 ·
I'll have to disagree. I thought that Transporter 2 was excellent on DVD - lots of action - of course it is unbelivable - it is a movie!! LOL.

Now it isn't going to win an Oscar, but for mindless action I thought it was better than Transporter 1.

Anyway, everybody has their own tastes. Just glad they are adding to the BD selection.

Watched League of Ext. Gentleman last night - pretty good. Great sound effects.

Cheers all. :D

#96 ·
Watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles last night. The movie itself was ok but nothing great. I was never really a fan of the series but knew enough to sort of follow what was going on.

I couldn't get over just how good this CG video looked though. I was watching the quality of the video more than paying attention to the story the majority of the time.

If this is what future CG films are going to look like in HD then we're all in for a big treat!

#97 ·
Watched The Transporter last night. I really enjoyed this movie in the theatres and on DVD, so I picked it up on BD. I'm not sure if I've really gotten used to HD/BD or what, cause I wasn't totally impressed with the video quality, don't get me wrong, it's great, but I just wasn't wow'ed. Entertaining flick though.

#105 ·
Fifth Element BR

Fifth Element looks great on Blue-Ray HD. There is slightly better contrast consitency than the SD dvd version I own. Colours are great, if your really picky it's worth picking up for overall good picture quality. I did find the SD dvd version had some interlacing issues that where exhaberated by mosquito noise and combing issues during high motion scenes but didn't notice much on the Blue-ray transfer.

I also found that switching over to PCM~audio can fatten up the sound giving it a more fuller focused sound--since the movie comes with non-compressed 5.1 audio track...the difference between PCM and bitstream 5.1 was dramatic in the vocals region....in Bitstream playback the vocals peaked prematurly...causing audible localization during dialogue that sounded boxy and very loud and over amplified...the PCM uncompressed signal aleviated that annomoly..and the vocals sounded larger and disapeared behind the center channel blending in better with the rest of the soundstage.

#107 ·
Fifth Element looks great on Blue-Ray HD. There is slightly better contrast consitency than the SD dvd version I own. Colours are great, if your really picky it's worth picking up for overall good picture quality. I did find the SD dvd version had some interlacing issues that where exhaberated by mosquito noise and combing issues during high motion scenes but didn't notice much on the Blue-ray transfer.

I also found that switching over to PCM~audio can fatten up the sound giving it a more fuller focused sound--since the movie comes with non-compressed 5.1 audio track...the difference between PCM and bitstream 5.1 was dramatic in the vocals region....in Bitstream playback the vocals peaked prematurly...causing audible localization during dialogue that sounded boxy and very loud and over amplified...the PCM uncompressed signal aleviated that annomoly..and the vocals sounded larger and disapeared behind the center channel blending in better with the rest of the soundstage.
Do you have the re-mastered version? I finally found a copy at Future Shop on Friday. The picture is fantastic, but I guess the original was not much better than the Superbit version. You can tell if it's the re-mastered version, if it has Dolby TrueHD on the back. If you have the original, I beleive there's an exchange program available.

#106 ·
Since I got my 5 free movies in the mail last week, I decided to watch Underworld: Evolution last night. Pretty nice transfer I would say, the dark scenes, which there are plenty of, come out really nice and clear, good contrast I would say. The movie itself is decent, but I much prefer the original, so looking forward to that release.

#108 ·
There's a re-mastered Blue-Ray version of The Fifth Element?...I know there was another re-master made for SD DVD that was slightly better than the original DVD version...but I assumed that the Blue-Ray version was a complete HD re-master of the movie. The copy I have has un-compressed pcm 5.1 audio output...but I don't know if it's only through HDMI audio?...it seems to work a bit better through optical output but I dunno if optical signal can carry TrueHD Dolby either.

#111 ·
Immortal Beloved - Finally getting movies like this one, about Beethoven's tormented life and its influence on his music, and The Lives of Others, released in Blu-Ray convinced me it was time to go neutral; seeing the glorious period sets and costumes in wonderful High Def, and hearing the amazing music in TrueHD, affirmed the investment was well worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.