Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

shaw secam

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  apollo18 
#1 ·
I recently switched from basic cable with shaw to digital cable using the basic shaw digital box (in Edmonton) I had an ADT camera system set up with 4 cameras which of course do not work. I noticed on shaw digital there is a channel called secam (716), but the modulator I have only goes up to 125. I think the modulator is Channel plus 5415. Is there any "empty" analog stations for Shaw that I can use? I did some searching and found that Rogers has (had) channel 59, not sure if shaw has a channel like this. I've looked at a digital modulator, but I'm having trouble finding one for channel 716 (is this for condos/apartments etc only?).

I will look into getting something to block certain channels if there is no other way. Any help/suggestions?

Thanks,
optoguy

#2 ·
Hows the digital box connected to your TV? If it's using HDMI or some other input other then the TV's analog tuner, the TV's analog tuner will be unused and you can always always use it for the cameras. This is what i do.. I have 6 cameras and I have each one of them is on it's own analog channel.

I have 6 modulators that are mixed together... channel 14, 44, 48, 60, 64, 68
I then take that mixed output and run it into a splitter and send this feed to all the TV's in my home. It's like a mini cable TV system. We only use the TV's analog tuners to view the cameras.

#3 ·
Likewise. That is how all my Camera's are connected too.

I go one step further by pushing my Signals to the Neighbor (750' away), and I wired his Camera's like mine, so I get to see his Camera's, and he sees mine.

Now if I could only get my growing pile of 9200 Bell Receivers to act as a PVR I would be happy.....lol I know I can do it with a few Digital Modulators but that is a little too expensive right now.

#4 ·
Thanks! I hadn't thought of doing it that way. Most are connected through HDMI, except 1 (basic RCA). That tv is upstairs and not used as much. I'll have to try that (which should be the easy part; teaching my wife to switch might be a little harder... :)

Optoguy

#5 ·
Sometimes people record their cameras in a used/older PC and output from there into any unused input on the TV - say via composite or S-video (or even HDMI) from the PC. Some PCs have the ability to send all the camera signals in a "PoP" pattern out to the TV. I assume the cameras are connected to a "combiner device" of some kind which connects to the PC which has some recording software, etc. with the ability to output 1, 2, 4, 6 cameras...

Changing inputs on a TV is pretty easy and if it's a bother for "the wife", you can get a harmony remote and programme it for "Watch Security Cameras".

#6 ·
Secam channel for a motel?

Hi all, I'm new to both posting and home automation so I hope I'm doing this right! I run a motel in BC and have Shaw cable as well. Our Secam channel is on digital 399 and I was wondering what kind of equipment I'd need, other than a digital modulator, to connect a security camera to this channel. I read in another forum about "trapping" a channel but how would that be done? Any ideas would be a great help. Thanks!

#7 ·
My understanding of injecting a Security Camera Feed (Guessing this is what is meant by secam) is not just as simple as adding a Modulator and injecting the Channel onto an empty channel on the Cable TV Spectrum.

First you need to have the Cable TV Co, Filter out the Channel you want to use, you can't do this as at that point the Cable and signals all belong to the Cable Co. Then they will also have to ensure that they do not inject it in such a way that your Camera Feed is going back out on the Cable Feed, this is normally achieved by the Filter being 'downstream' of the injection.

I have no idea what they will charge you to carry out this work but it will almost certainly have to be them that do it and not any contractor that you could hire.

#8 ·
Pinza, thanks for your reply! I guess I'll just have to scrap that idea then! Unfortunately I've already asked Shaw cable for help but they are short of staff like every other business in Northern BC (I live in Dawson Creek), especially of the highly skill kind. There is only one contractor in town who does both phone and security systems and I hear is very good. However, he hasn't been very helpful in the past when we've requested his services. It took me 3 months of leaving messages to get a service call and then instead of actually doing the work requested, a $2000 job, he suggested that I replace my entire system for $30,000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.