Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Free Mac Applications - What do you use?

20K views 29 replies 24 participants last post by  mac2crack 
#1 · (Edited)
In the spirit of the free software thread in the windows forum I thought I would start a thread on your favorite free apps for Mac's. I know when I am talking to people about making the switch I tell them they can do pretty much everything on a Mac that they do on their PC. Here are some of my favorites some are cross platform as well.

VLC - Excellent Media player
Transmission - Torrents. Clean simple and fast.
Cyberduck - Simple FTP program
Handbrake - Video Transcoding
Quicksilver - Multi-Application launcher
Adium - Messaging application
FireFTP - Add on for firefox for FTP
PS3 Media Server - Streaming MKV files to my PS3
Monolingual - Cleans out languages not needed.
CoRd - Remote Desktop App

I will update as I get more.

#4 ·
Some to add
Carbon Copy Cloner Clone and backup
Celestia - stars program
Chicken of the VNC - eh VNC :)
Mr Tides 3 - tides
OpenOffice (or Neooffice) Office suite
Pic-a-Pod - Download Picture of Day from NASA etc
SkyOrb - another stars program
Stellarium - Solar system
Vine server - VNC server
Weatherdock - menubar weather

#10 ·
Here are a few I cannot live without....

Perian - plug in for QuickTime, adds support for many video formats.
(along with Flip4Mac & Flash - it's all you really need)
Paparazzi - creates screenshots of webpages
Max - creates/converts high-quality audio files/CDs into various formats
Onyx - Utility to maintain, optimize and modift system appearance
Audacity - Audio editor
Plex - although still in beta, it's a pretty amazing HTPC. Far superior to Apple's FrontRow.

#14 ·
TimeMachineEditor-purports to allow you more choices in using time machine:

http://timesoftware.free.fr/timemachineeditor/

smcFanControl-gives you more control over how the fans in your computer operate:

http://www.eidac.de/

coconutBattery-
a tool which shows you the current charge of your battery - it also shows you the current maximum capacity of it in relation to the original capacity your battery had as it left the factory.
You also get information about the battery-loadcycles (how often did you fully load your battery), the current charger (coconutBattery even warns you if you plugged in a wrong charger for your Notebook) and last but not least information about the age of your Mac.
http://www.coconut-flavour.com/

Temperature Monitor-
an application to read out all accessible temperature sensors in Macintosh computers. The program can visualize the history graphs of the readings, display measured values in a large variety of fashions
http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

#17 · (Edited)
Plex - XBMC For OS X

Preen - Download and install skins for Plex

Cyberduck - Open source FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, Cloud Files,Google Docs & Amazon S3 Browser for Mac & Windows

FileZilla - Open source FTP solution.

Burn - Disc burning (included in OS X)

Skype - Voice and video call conferencing.

iTunes - media player (included in OS X)

VLC - media player

UnRarX - Mac OS X RAR Extraction Utility

MacTheRipper - DVD Ripper

HandBrake - Video conversion

Firefox - Web Browser

FLACer - Rip Music CD's into Flac format

Caffeine - Caffeine is a tiny program that puts an icon in the right side of your menu bar. Click it to prevent your Mac from automatically going to sleep, dimming the screen or starting screen savers. Click it again to go back. Hold down the Command key while clicking to show the menu. The menu now has a sub-menu for deactivating Caffeine automatically after a number of minutes.

:)

#22 ·
Mac2Crack - what would you recommend for this:

I have ripped about 15 favorite songs from my favorite concert DVD's. I want to burn a compliation DVD with 1 song per chapter, keeping the original video and audio tracks intact. I assumed it would be trivial to do this on a Mac.

But I soon noticed that the Burning and iMovie apps seem to want to reprocess these. I think it's trying to unify the video and audio to some common denominator, but that's not what I want.

I only want to make one or two of these 'best of' discs, so a free and easy app is the preference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.