Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

CRTC grants extensions for CanWest Global DTV in Hamilton and Vancouver

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  blakew 
#1 ·
Extension of the time limit to 21 April 2008 to commence the operation of the transitional digital television programming undertaking CHCH-DT Hamilton, Ontario, authorized in CHCH-TV Hamilton – Transitional digital television, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2005-172, 21 April 2005.

Extension of the time limit to 21 April 2008 to commence the operation of the transitional digital television programming undertaking CHAN-DT Vancouver, British Columbia, authorized in CHAN-TV Vancouver – Transitional digital television, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2005-173, 21 April 2005.
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Notices/2007/pb2007-60.htm

#3 ·
Gee, why didn't they just throw their hands up in the air and let them have until August 31, 2011? :mad:

It's such a farce, the political relationship between the CRTC and private broadcasters.
I almost feel like putting money down on a bet that nothing will be operating in another year, and then the CRTC will suck up even more of Global's excuses, yet again.

#6 ·
I'm dissappointed, yet not surprised in the least.

So CHAN's bought itself some more time to go digital. I wonder how they're going to spend it (pardon the pun)?

I don't understand why in the interm CHAN-DT doesn't split up one channel into SD subchannels and air with Channel-M, A-channel, or Omni 10. That'll get them broadcasting digitally at least. Then when one or all of the stations is ready to go it alone, they can broadcast on their own channel, and hopefully in HD.

If they're not up and running by the extention date, I say yank their digital allotment and sell - nay, GIVE it to Mr.Bitove. And move all Canwest stations into category 2 status, effectively yanking away any and all sim-sub privledges that they currently foul up on.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Goes to show how much effort Global put into these extentions. Ms. Bell copied and pasted the letters, and forgot to change "Hamilton" to "Vancouver", in the Vancouver extention. Both the Vancouver and Hamilton extention requests contain
we are requesting a one-year extension to launch the Hamilton digital transmitter.
I'm not perfect, but if I were asking the CRTC for two extensions, I'd make sure the requests were both proofread... Just sloppy.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Notices/2007/pb2007-60.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.