Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Older home theater system, Wii and new HDTV

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  57 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I just bought a Panasonic tcp55st30 plasma TV. Very nice! Its digital Audio out is Optical TOSLINK only.

I plan to use my existing Panasonic DVD home theater system, model SC-HT95, which is about 10 years old. It has composite and component but not HDMI or TOSLINK interfaces.

I get my TV signals OTA, not cable.

Few questions:

1. To connect from the TV to my home theater system I need to convert from the optical cable to dual (r/l) RCA connectors for the home theater. I believe I can use a product such as the Monoprice Digital Coax & Optical Toslink to R/L Stereo Audio Converter, . The TV manual says the digital audio out format is ""pcm/dolby digital, fiber optic". Would someone please confirm this is the type of product I need?

2. Wii connection. How do I connect the Wii to my home theater system?

Thanks.

#3 ·
... Wii in HD via converter?

Much appreciated. One more questions please.

Since the Wii does not support HD I understand I can buy a product that will convert to 1080p (cost about $30). The converter plugs into the Wii and then it plugs into the HDMI port of the TV. The sound will then come thru the TV (which is fine), not my HTiB. Is what I just said correct?

Thanks.

#5 ·
I hate to be nay sayer but the things you're trying to do really doesn't add much to the experience. What you really need is a new AV receiver.

OTA does upto DD5.1 and I personally wouldn't like DD5.1 to 2.0PCM and back to Prologic Surround (assuming you are using 5.1 system). If the problem here is whether you have sound or not, then I can fault you if you must buy the converter.

For Wii, the display is 480i or 480p. I have both cables and I actually like the 480i better. 480i is slightly softer but smoother; 480p is sharper and much noisier. You take you pick. Do not waste money on 480i -> 1080p converter, complete waste of money. TVs can do a better job. My mediocre LG TV can actually do a much better job than my Denon AVR-791 in upconversion.

#6 ·
You are very correct - I do not have much experience with audio visual equipment.

The local electronics store (not a big box store) owners said I should be able to use my existing receiver so that's what I am trying to do. Maybe that is a mistake.

Here is our current situation:

Use OTA - we watch about 1 hour per week
DVD player - use this the most
Do not have a Blu Ray player.
Netflix - via the Wii - few hours per week. The Wii does not support HD. If we want to watch Netflix in HD what are my options?
Wii - games for the kids - few hours per week.
Speakers - we want better sound than what the TV offers native so that is why I thought using my existing older receiver and speakers. We do not plan to install speakers in different parts of the room to get the full effects of surround sound.

So, any input/options without blowing the budget (OK to spend a few hundred more dollars) yet having a good solution that works well, is not cumbersome, etc. is appreciated.

Thanks.

#7 ·
I strongly recommend getting an AV receiver. You can easily get something that does what you need well under $400. You pretty much solved all your sound issues there.

You're correct about Wii is just a SD device but yet the picture quality can rival DVDs. Upconverting the Wii with some gadget absolutely does NOT make it HD.

In order to do Netflix HD, you either use a PC or use a more contemporary streaming device like WDTV Live, PS3, Blu-ray player, etc, etc. It is not worth it (IMHO) to buy a device just to do Netflix HD because it is really not really, really HD. You buy a PS3 if you wanna game as well; a WDTV Live for streaming videos and the web apps.

I have probably posted a few dozens times...buying gadgets to refurbish near obsolete devices is generally a very bad idea. Don't get me wrong, I am a very green person otherwise:)

#8 ·
PPL4GOLF,

Thanks for the input.

I think your advice about getting a new one is sound (my attempt at a pun).

I have been looking at new receivers, hoped not to buy one, but looks like I may need to. The local electronics store I deal with recommends a Pioneer Elite VSX 50. It has lots of different interfaces, LAN and Airplay, etc, but will be about $625.

Any comments on what receivers to consider?

#12 ·
One thing I would reccommend : get a AVR that can upconvert video (for the Wii ) .
When I bought my AVR I was hoping to plug everything into it ,and have just one HDMI cable from the AVR to the HDTV.

The AVR I bought did not upconvert , and I ended up running video cables to the HDTV and audio cables to the AVR. When I later mounted the HDTV on the wall , I had to buy a HDMI converter box in order to clean up the cables for the Wii. If I'd spent 30-40 dollars more and bought one model up from the AVR I have , I would have saved about $100 in cables and the HDMI box.

I would also get an AVR that can decode HD audio.Some time down the road you may decide to get a Blu-ray player or PS3 etc.

I was a Sony fan , but have now changed to Yamaha.

a Yamaha AVR with these features would go for about $400.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.