Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

illico TV New Generation

79K views 198 replies 52 participants last post by  chillonhill 
#1 ·
On the 27th of March Videotron is anouncing their new generation illico TV.

Thread started to discuss this new upgrade

Illico Next Gen

#60 ·
The new gui is really good, there is a few stuff still missing that i really wait : multiroom is one of them! I have 3 cisco box because i need more than 2 feed at the same time, but also because i want same show on different tv... Multiroom will solve that.

The interface is fast. One thing currently that need to be worked on is : saving filtering preferences; you can filter to see only channels you subscribe, but everytime you leave the guide and go back, it defaults to "all channels". Another small issue is that you can't go in List while watching a recording without loosing the time where you were at.

There is no twitter or facebook either. Other things is videotron still are on mpeg2, so the internal is only 55hrs HD recordings, and newgen disable external hard drive. I think fibetv 500gb can hold at least 100hrs HD recordings because they are mpeg4.

The VOD (900) new interface is very good, a lot better than old one, same stuff on it.

If you read french, i wrote a review of it :

http://macquebec.com/2012/04/banc-dessai-le-service-illico-nouvelle-generation/

The new guide is good, but they could have not use 1/3 for channel id: ex: 618 (logo) CNEHD HD logo.... Just to identify channel. That leave only a 2hrs schedule on the right.

#61 ·
If you read french, i wrote a review of it :

http://macquebec.com/2012/04/banc-dessai-le-service-illico-nouvelle-generation/

The new guide is good, but they could have not use 1/3 for channel id: ex: 618 (logo) CNEHD HD logo.... Just to identify channel. That leave only a 2hrs schedule on the right.
Thanks for the link GoldstarQC

Looks like work in process. Early adopters will test the system for Videotron to ensure the features will be operational when the general public jumps in sometime next year.

At this time I can not justify the switch since the beautification of the guide is of no interest to me.
Also I will need two new CISCO terminals to replace my legacy Scientific Atlanta HD PVR and Pace HD boxes.

#63 ·
Goldstar QC- Thanks for the detailed explanation; it is really helpful. Being in Montreal it will be a few months before we get it and you are right some things will get better and maybe by then the whole room pvr and Mpeg4 will be available. The Mpeg4 is what is most interesting for me as it will give more recording room, less compression and hopefully more HD channels.

The upgraded UI is nice, modern and clean.

Keep us (outside of the Quebec region) up to date with your experiences with
"nouvelle generation":D

#64 ·
My old pvr just broke and decided to get the new generation. If you are in Montreal, you will be very disappointed. Absolutely no difference.

The remote control has a nice sleek design with some new features. Now has a 30 sec. fwd button which would be great if it worked. Its so frustrating not being able to use any of the new functionalities.

Called videotron. Should be available for everyone by october. AHH!!! This is horrible, having a shiny new toy and not able to play with it.

#66 ·
Depends how it's handled. They may put some "new" channels into MPEG4 in which case you won't get those. Or they may make a wholesale change, in which case you'll need a new PVR. BTV recently did this and exchanged existing STB/PVRs for new....

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=146515

I don't know what Videotron will do - perhaps someone does.

#67 ·
If Vidéotron was planning a switch to MPEG-4 compatible terminals, they would have stop selling standard terminals by now... but since the gain in bandwidth is more beneficial with HD feeds, they still allow subscribers to acquire an SD terminal for cheap. It's also possible to receive a recycled HD terminal from an old generation.

The "hype" expected with the launch of the new interface makes the switch runs naturally. Terminals dying of natural causes helps out. As long as they can get maximum money from natual switchover...

There are some test QAMs on the network, probably some MPEG-4 feeds there, using a modified tuning table instructing Cisco and Samsung terminals to tune to them instead of regular MPEG-2 ones. It's gonna take a while before future new HD channels will be distributed in MPEG-4 format only. But network upgrades needs to be done first.

#68 · (Edited by Moderator)
So Illico 2 arrived on schedule on my Cisco 4642, without altering my scheduled and recorded content on the SA8300. The changes are mostly cosmetic. On the plus side, you can limit the guide to see only the channels you subscribe to, the time appears on the guide and the widgets allow you to obtain current weather icons for a 'main' location and up four additional 'favorite' locations. A second widget allows obtaining lottery information. The search function is very powerful and searches in the guide, the VOD and recorded shows on PVR units. The online help is very thorough and useful; mini-guides, short videos and FAQ's are amply used throughout.
On the downside, the guide font is smaller, and does not change size in full screen (guide only) or mini-screen views (current channel displayed). For people with less than perfect eyesight, this might be a deal breaker, unless there is a way of enlarging font size.
Bottom line: it takes a few more seconds to process the information on the Illico 2 guide compared to the Illico 1 guide, which is more sober. I am glad this is a free upgrade, as I would not want to have to pay for it!

#69 ·
Realized that I posted this in the wrong topic so have posted here.

Tanta - so bottom line it is a facelift and nothing more. Here in Montreal we won't see it until September so I am hoping during the summer Videotron will spend more time adding HD stations, whole room pvr, ect. If not I think the migration to BellFibe will continue with some of us as soon as it is available in our areas.

Keep us up to date if there are any "real" changes with the new illico. You are our eyes and ears!

#71 ·
The search function is very powerful and searches in the guide, the VOD and recorded shows on PVR units
This existed in the previous version. When I had an 8300HD I used it frequently. The search results were instantaneous so it was quite useful. Not many people knew about it but it was good for finding and setting a future recording.

#75 ·
I'm in Laval, I got a call tuesday saying that by mistake they put me in the list for the transition and that I would get illico next gen within 72 hrs, wednesday I got the upgrade. So far I like it, exept I still don't know where my programmed shows are, I see a list of upcoming recordings for 15 days but what about the shows that ended they're season are they still programmed and what if I want to cancel old programs that ended ?
Also I don't like the fact that when I'm watching a recording and I want to go to the guide or the list, the show pauses and it goes to live tv in the top right screen, I liked watching and listenning my recordind while searching for something in the list or the guide.
As far as the rest goes I think it's pretty good, there's more positive features than negative ones.

#77 ·
I've seen what the Illico 2 will do, if you are in montreal you won't see the change until late September, for the 900 it is MUCH better than the old system. You have the "netflix" style, the "media-center" style, and the "traditional" style. For a sneak peek go to channel 1 on your Videotron STB, trust me it will be fun.

#78 ·
I checked out channel 1 but it is just previews of videotron channels. I did not see anything specific to illico 2.0. Good news that it will be available to everyone as of June but I wonder how this will work? Will all boxes that are compatible switch over or will they still do customers in batches?

#82 ·
Like I said before, I already have it and exept for some questions I still didn't get answers, it look pretty good,
I was hoping some of you got it too and could answer my questions, so far no luck, I guess I'm gonna have to write Videotron and get some robotized prewriten answer.

#85 ·
A new bug to experiment with the new software.

Program a weekly show (ex: mondays at 7:30pm) or a 2-parts mini-series spread on 2 weeks. Leave it there in the program list after its season finale and don't attempt to modify it and do not reboot the terminal, but the timeslot for the week after the finale must be another show, not a rerun.

The PVR will probably attempt to record the new show, monday at 7:30pm as usual and by mistake.

This experiment can take time, but if it's known early, it can be reported and iron out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.