Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Audio and Video Drop Out Frequently

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Canon_man 
#1 ·
Started noticing that the TV cable video would go to black and the audio would drop out a few times during any given program. Only occurs for a second or two, but enough to be noticeable. No pattern to it. Happens during the news too. Almost like the digital signal is being fed by a server that can't keep up. Has anyone noticed this happening?

#4 ·
Sorry for not getting back to the board. Got instant notifications enabled but never received any notification(s) :confused: - go figure!

Cogeco installed the boxes, and we have not monkeyed with them since moving in. Took them with us when we moved and Cogeco hooked them up to verify they were working. What I describe was happening before we moved to this location a month ago. Has been happening since January.

Running standard Motorola digital boxes, no HD, - yet.

Diagnostic links in the referred link are broken. No item #17, ends at 13.

#5 ·
No item #17, ends at 13.
There certainly is an item 17 in the link I provided... You can also have the provider check your signal remotely from their end.

If you're using HDMI, here's the HDMI FAQ and things to check: If you are using HDMI, you could temporarily try component video/analogue audio to see if the issue is the incoming signal to the STB, or if it's with HDMI.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for the reply. Link working now. Not using HDMI, we are old school here with CRT TVs circa 2005 that don't support it.

Guess easiest thing to do is call Cogeco and get the run around.

Not a big fan of these Motorola boxes either. The Scientific Atlanta boxes Rogers uses are easier to navigate to check things. Something to try first would be to swap out the other Motorola (we have two, although one is not being used at present) and see if the problem goes away.

Had a 4250HD with Rogers before we moved from Durham Region to Niagara, although we had no HD TVs, go figure!

Something else these two Mot boxes do from time to time: the power light is usually off, but every once in a while it lights up and the box does some funny loading or rebooting. Guess the control center is talking to the box and updating it???

#7 ·
I have the same issue. Screen goes black and audio drops for a second. It's cogeco. I have changed the inputs (hooked up with HDMI though Yamaha receiver) and only happens through the ports that have the Motorola box connected. This NEVER happens with any other components (Xbox, WDLive TV, Dish, AppleTV, Wii, BluRay) that are connected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.