Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

ATSC Tuners in Satellite, FTA, or Cable Receivers

169K views 510 replies 195 participants last post by  Inglewood 
#1 ·
i read on another forum that we will need one or both of these modules to receive certain or all hd channels in the future, can someone enlighten me on what these actually are, is it something that plugs into the back of the receiver?

#476 ·
Bell 9200

The 9200 will work as it has 2 sat and 1 OTA receivers (ie.. you can only watch 1 OTA channel at a time)...

...Provided that it is still hooked up to a functioning and powered up switch and dish. ie. if it does not see the satellites it will have booting problems.

The recordings must be manually programmed as it will not show psip programming data (it just says "digital") and regardless of content it will record at the HD data rate (25 hours limit).

#480 ·
No he does NOT need service, just the feeds from the Dish.

Might not be flexible but I now have a total of 8 x 9200's that were given to me along with my own 9200's, I use 2 of them for OTA and the PQ is stunning.

#481 · (Edited by Moderator)
Will Rogers DAC work for basic OTA tests?

Hi everyone:

Haven't been here in years. It's nice to be back at such a friendly site.

Just wanted to ask a quick question about testing. We happen to have Rogers here, but we've been thinking about switching to OTA.

We have a couple of the Rogers (Cisco-labelled) Digital-to-analog converters. One has been authorized, the other, not yet-it's still in the box.

If I wanted to try out an OTA antenna, will the Rogers DAC work for basic tests, or is it not compatible/authorized for use with OTA signals?

If it does work, are there any kinds of limitations (I assume it would then work with ANY TV, not just the TV on which it was authorized)?

Thanks

Brainer

#484 ·
Using Bell 6100 as HDTV OTA tuner ONLY.

I would like to know if it is possible to use a 6100 as an HDTV OTA tuner only. It allows me to scan for digital channels in the setup menu, but will only scan fo 82W and 91W transponders after I put it into operaional mode. I have switched to Shaw Direct and do not have the dish for Bell set up anymore and the receiver keeps searching. I realise that this receiver would have had to be replaced due to the forthcoming MPEG-4 conversion as I received a letter from Bell advising me to trade it in. But it seems to me that I could still use it as an OTA tuner. Is there a way to keep it from searching for the satellites and just have it function as an HDTV tuner?

#489 ·
If you mean from the antenna coax, you get an ATSC tuner with HDMI. That essentially replaces the tuner in your TV.

For digital audio coax (different than RF coax), you don't (that I know of), but connect that to the digital coax in on your surround processor. If it has optical in only, you can gt a coax to optical converter.

Last, would be to get a surround system that has the digital input from your TV.

#490 ·
cableredneck, since you are posting in the "ATSC Tuners in Satellite or Cable Receivers" I am assuming you are using a satellite receiver as your ATSC tuner. What model of box are you using? That will help us determine if it has a digital audio out.

#491 ·
The antenna coax cable is currently connected into the DVD input of our surround sound bar. This is because we have a satellite service as well, and all the other inputs are taken up by those connections. This is why we are wondering how to get the surround sound from the antenna. The antenna is connected into the antenna/cable input in our TV. There are two HDMI inputs that are free. The problem is the coax cable can't be input into the HDMI inputs. Is there a small device that will covert the coax to HDMI?? There is also a blu-ray player in our system that is connected to the sound bar.

#492 ·
To clear things up, the sourround sound is decoded by whatever device is your tuner for digital OTA. Remember that the received digital TV signal is just a stream of ones and zeros. The tuner is reponsible for separating the video, audio, and data portions of that stream. I know I'm a bit confused with how you describe where the coax is connected (both the sound bar and the TV.)

So, whatever device you use to pick OTA channels should be the tuner. At that device, you need either fiber or coax digital audio out or HDMI out that will be routed to the soundbar for final processing.

#493 ·
Please provide manufacturer name and model numbers for Sound Bar, HDTV and other components.

The antenna downlead coax cable connects to OTA TV input on HDTV, which decodes the video and
digital surround audio data streams. Many/most HDTV have a Digital Audio OUTPUT connector, usually
optical but might be SPDIF Coax. However, since the HDTV requires processing of the surround
to derive STEREO (L, R) for it's internal speakers, it may or may not supply STEREO instead of Dolby
Digital 5.1 SURROUND on its' Digital Audio OUTPUT connector, which would be connected to Sound Bar.

#494 ·
Bell 9242 OTA HD Quality

I've hooked up a CM 4228 antenna to the OTA input on my Bell 9242 Sat receiver. Does the receiver dumb down the HD signal? It appears to be lower quality than directly connecting the antenna to the TV (LG 42LS5700). I am using TV2 co-ax output. Would using the component video output give me HD? The TV only has one co-ax input so I may have to use an A/B switch.

#497 ·
Thanks, I was hoping that the Bell 9242 Sat receiver just passed the OTA signal through unadultered but it must process it down. The Sat signal from TV2 is SD. I managed to get around it by connecting the antenna co-axial lead and 9242 TV2 output co-ax thru a combiner/splitter to one co-ax to the TV. The Sat output is set to Channel 73, above the OTA. So I get the OTA channels in HD on there native channels and Sat in SD on 73

#498 ·
Does the TV not have an input for component video or HDMI so you can use that from the 9242 to the TV? Yes, you will need to change inputs on the TV to watch anything from the 9242, but at least it would be HD and you can record the channels first if desired.

I assume you're using the 9242 to watch BTV (sat) programming too and not just for OTA?

#500 ·
Niagaraz, are you using your Bell 9242 as an ATSC tuner, or just wanting it to pass the OTA signals through to your TV? Most of the replies in this thread are assuming the former (that is the topic of this thread).

If it is the later, there is a good chance that the 9242 will block if not severely attenuate OTA signals from passing through. The proper way to do this would be to use a channel injector. This will use filters to prevent signals from reflecting back to the other source. Most areas don't use either channels 3 or 4 for OTA anymore and you should be able to get a channel injector for those fairly easily.

FYI, cable channel 73 is actually 516-522 MHz, which is within the UHF band (overlapping channels UHF 22 & 23) and would cause interference.

#501 ·
9200pvr

Hey, I've been playing with ota for a while now, and would like to hook up a bell 9200, it was a receiver that was swapped out, the receiver has no card in it and my buddy has no idea where it is, I hooked it up to the sat feed from my 3100, and I can't get past the system info screen, is there away around this? Or am I basically screwed
Thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.