Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

CBC-HD Official Thread (No Hockey)

196K views 977 replies 164 participants last post by  tvlurker 
#1 ·
The old CBC thread was getting long in the tooth and had started to ramble, so we've created this new thread.

We have a CBC technican who is kind enough to visit this forum. His name is Marc. He will attempt to answer any questions about CBC-HD. Marc has been extremely responsive in the previous thead and we appreciate his presence on this forum.

This thread is intended to discuss mostly technical issues, HD (and WS). Other comments questions regarding CBC-HD may, or may not get a response, or be split from this thread.

This thead is NOT intended for hockey discussions, since there's a separate thread for that.

Any CBC bashing posts will be deleted. Constructive criticism, comments and questions are always welcome.

#596 ·
HD Schedule not updated?

Hi.

Since someone from CBC lurks these grounds, I figured I'd post this question here.

Anyone know why the weekly HD TV schedules on the CBC website have not been updated since September the 10th?

As of today, the "This week" schedule is for the September 10th week and "Next week" is for the September 17th.

Someone sleeping? Vacations?

#600 ·
The HD quality of yesterday's LA-Anaheim game was the best I've seen from CBC. No pixelization at all. Last year's playoffs were unwatchable at times with freezing and massive pixels everywhere. I'd like to think it's something to expect in the future but I'm afraid they probably rented a truck and gear in the UK that was simply better than what they use in North America.

#603 ·
HD Page

FYI

The online HD page will come to an end soon. Two and a half years have past and since the first permanent HD transmitter was put in service. HD is still growing, but it's no longer the new kid on the block. HD data will be merged into the rest of CBC.CA.

#609 ·
I think that 'Widescreen' still needs to be indicated, as it is, along with HD content, far from being mainstream in Canada. Also, by indicating this more often and in more places, CBC would be promoting not only WS and HD, but itself and its advanced technical abilities (standing out among still a huge number of tv stations broadcasting only SD/analogue in the country).
As for the current CBC.ca tv listings, I think it is very user-unfriendly and looks outdated, also often has tech issues with server problems etc. Also, last time I checked, I noticed National is marked 'HD', along with few other things, but not all HD shows are still indicated.
I just wish they even copied the listings from french cbc, which looks much nicer.
http://www.radio-canada.ca/gh/televisiongenerale/ghHoraires.asp

#614 ·
According to their PDF schedule, CBC is broadcasting the BC/Edm CFL game and both NHL games in HD tonight. Do they have 3 HD trucks now?

cfl.ca lists the BC/Edm game as being broadcast in SD.
I watched the game. The wide-angle long-range camera, which shows 95% of the action, is upconverted/widescreen... no bleeping way is it HD. However, the field-level cameras, which show only the benches, and interviews with players, are HD. Talk about having your priorities backwards. Dear CBC, may I kindly suggest...
  • please take the upconverted/WS wide-angle camera and burn it in front of the American embassy
  • take one of the field-level HD cameras, and lug it up to the upper levels of the stadium, and use it as the wide-angle camera.
Your broadcast will be a lot better.

#617 ·
While the final scores generally left a lot to be desired, I concur with WarrenC12:
- Eskimo / Lions game was better than regular SD, so kudos for SD WS when HD isn't possible.
- Great to see the "late" HNIC game in HD! Definite thumbs up!

Sandwiched in there somewhere was Crosby beating the Leafs in HD (I can't complain about that one at all :) ).

All in all, an impressive amount of coverage. Thanks.

#618 ·
Anybody else have stuttering issues with the Eskimo/Lion game? In particular, I was getting stuttering on the wide field shots just prior to a play, but then when the camera began to zoom in just before the play started, they'd stop. Perhaps it was something to do with the conversion from SD to widescreen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.