Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

MPEG4 Receiver swap starts October 23rd 2011, Read Post 1.

277K views 1K replies 210 participants last post by  Lukus2020 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Edit by 57: If you're thinking of buying or selling a 9200 or 6100 for use on BTV, please read post 1 of the following thread and the link there. These STBs will no longer be activated by Bell. Buying/selling discussions should also be in that thread, not this swap thread.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=38236

Thank you very much to m3repair for supplying the following summary information regarding the swap process:

SUMMARY NOTES:

1. You can call Bell to request a new replacement receiver now if you have 6100's and/or 9200's that are active on your account. (able to view your subscribed programming)

2. If you have a 9200, you can request a 9242 if that's what you want, but you have to explain that you need one because you use the function of TV2 at secondary television location. Edit 2012.03 - 9242s are quite difficult to get now. Good luck - try chat... Several times perhaps...

3. You can do this all via "chat" (under contact us on bell.ca) but ensure you get the reference number. You may also want to save the chat log in case you get shipped a 9241 by mistake and wanted a 9242 and have to resolve that problem.

4. You can check status of your order/STBs (confirming that a 9242 or 9241 or 6131 has been added to your account) by going to the website and "changing PIN"/ "manage account" (If you want a tracking number you can wait a day or two and then call Bell and ask for the tracking number) either from Canada Post or Purolator.) (In the options on the left hand side there should also be an option to synchronize programming once you have your unit)

5. Stamped on the outside of the brown shipping box is the model number of the receiver. If it has a R after the numbers it will be a refurbished model.

6. A UHF kit can be obtained for your 6131 by calling retentions. (may take a few tries for them to send it to you)

7. You can keep the old STBs. (9200's, 6100's) for parts or use or viewing previously recorded content.

8. From the instructions: "To ensure uninterrupted service, please replace your HD PVR within the next two weeks". 9200 is usually deactivated in 2-4 Weeks.

9. How to Transfer Recorded Content from your 9200 to 924X Thread -->
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=147323

10. Uses for 9200 and 6100 after you swap:
(Side note: For those wondering what to do with your used 9200 and or 6100 that seems to be no longer of use here some suggestions:

A.)Use your 9200 to view your previously recorded content (also can be used in step B). The 9200 doesn't need to be connected to sat for this purpose, but you may get some error messages, which you can simply cancel.
B.)Use (or sell) your 9200 as an OTA PVR or OTA viewer (6100) (with satellite feeds connected and no guide info)
C.)Save the Hard Drive from 9200 and use it when your 9242 internal drive starts to fail (tested to also ensure it works, or in a compatible computer)
D.)Save the Power Supply Board from 9200 and use it in your 9242 if it fails (tested to ensure it is possible)
E.) You will not be able to use your 9200 for SD programming. It will be deactivated.

The objective of the MPEG 4 receiver swap project is to replace all MPEG 2 receivers (models 6100, 9200) installed at customers’ premises with MPEG 4 receivers. This will allow Bell to switch all HD broadcasting to the more efficient MPEG 4 encoding, freeing up satellite capacity and allowing Bell to launch 43 new SD channels.
This will impact an estimated 193,000 customers with 240,000 receivers to be replaced.
The launch for Phase I of the project will be October 23rd, 2011. This will be followed by Phase II of the MPEG 4 swap project, starting on December 11th, 2011 and continuing until July 31st 2012. There will be a blackout period during the winter holidays.
Now for the part I do not like;

Once 9242 stock is exhausted, a 9241 + 5900 will be shipped to the customer instead (only for two room solution)
So there you have it, no longer a Rumour, it is a fact.

Edit - Rumour thread, now closed:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=139105

See less See more
#942 ·
The box's I see are NOT for shipping directly to Customers. They are, I believe, for Customers who want/ask Bell to do the swap.

Technically Bell are correct, there is no real inventory left. Lets be honest, if I saw 100 units, that is almost the same as zero inventory when you consider how many they must have started with.

Again, just because I see them in one location, does NOT mean Bell will ever ship them across the country.

If you can live with the 9241, or the 9241 & 5900, go for it, it is still better than being stupborn and keeping your 9200 until it goes black.

#943 ·
When?

@pinza: Is there any rumour you can share about when the switch to MPEG4 will take place? I've got a hunch that it will happen just before the London Olympics allowing Bell to open up more of those special event-only, announcer-less free channels that were so popular in Vancouver and Beijing.

#944 ·
No, nothing definite. I hope you are correct but that they swap over with enough time to smooth out any glitch's they may encounter before the Olympics start.

#946 ·
I believe it is.

Now, having said that, in a hand-held device that Techs use for activations etc, there is a 9400, listed.!!!!!!

Just what that is, I have no idea. It might be a simple typo, just not sure.

#948 ·
Hundreds of people never got a letter, myself included, I just called and got my 9200's replaced.

The push right now are Commercial Customers, who have 6100's. It is hard work for the Techs, as many of these units are hidden above suspended ceilings, and without a UHF Remote the 6131 is useless. No more IR extenders available at the moment.

#957 ·
No it is NOT. The 6400 is the latest unit from Bell but if you read the 1st Post you will clearly see that the 6100 is being replaced with a 6131/6141 for FREE from Bell.

The 6131 will eventually be replaced by the 6400.

#959 ·
According to the tech that showed up on the weekend to install a second 6131 (that I picked up for $50).......the 6400 is only going to rentals and 6131 will be installed to owners and new purchasers. Apparently the work orders have a three letter code indicating that a 6131 is to be installed instead of the 6400. In his opinion the 6400 is one of the best units available from Bell at this time. He also thought the 6131 would soon be reduced in price.

#960 ·
Appreciate the feedback Lindsay649 but this thread is about the MPEG4 swap. Yes you are correct in what the Tech told you with regards to Rental Installations.

#961 ·
Actually, you have it backwards. The 6131 is only to be used for rentals and the 6400 is only to be used for purchases. Once the stock of 6131s is gone (which could take who knows how long) then the 6400 will be used all the time. I don't see the 6131/6400 being reduced in price until they completely get rid of the 4100.

#962 ·
Can you tell I am not an installer....lol

Thanks for the correction.

I just saw a stack of 6141's arrive at a warehouse, that was a surprise.

#965 ·
I only just found out about this because I called Bell about starting up my service again (when we moved to Ontario we were unable to use Bell at the places we've lived until now). Since my account was not active, I was not informed of the swap, nor (I suppose) eligible for it.

Any suggestions? It sounds like I'm left with an unreplaceable 9200. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.