Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Rogers Digital Cable to DVD Recorder (or VCR, or PC) Discussion

150K views 62 replies 26 participants last post by  57 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Perhaps the most common question we get around here is how to offload content from a Rogers STB to DVD Recorder or similar device.

The following links discuss this topic. Please review and post relevant questions in these threads. Many of these links also apply to most other STBs, not just Rogers.

If you're still at a loss, then you can post here.

The basics are answered in the following threads so posts in this thread asking for the steps on how to do it will be deleted.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42076http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14099

How to connect a VCR/DVD Recorder and STB:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76077

Rogers Firewire (HTPC) (Also in the first link):

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=56259

Hauppauge Thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=87729

If you end up with a copy protection issue (CGMS-a):

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=44045

Shaw Firewire: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76682

See less See more
#2 ·
copying from 8300HD

After pouring over the info on the sites here, I finally hooked my 8300HD to the TV with Components and the 8300HD to the DVDr with SVideo. When I playback the DVD, it works fine for 10 seconds or so then it stops for 2 or 3 seconds and playback resumes another 10 seconds and stops for 3 seconds.
Can anyone help?

#3 ·
Is it possible you are running into the following Problem?

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=44045

For connection advice, see the Digital Home FAQ (under help) "How to connect a VCR/DVD Recorder and Cable STB".

Do you notice the "pauses" while you are recording by watching what's "coming through" the DVD Recorder?

What's the playback like on a purchased DVD?

#5 ·
Thanks to an earlier post, my recording problem is now solved. I got rid of my HDMI cables and now used Component to connect the PVR to the TV and SVideo to connect the DVDr to the TV. The DVDr can now record a live program and I can also archive on DVDs programs recorded on the the PVR that I no longer wish to keep.

#8 ·
Copy-To-VCR issue

I seem to have developed a frequently recurring, yet random, issue where if I do a copy-to-vcr, the audio stream being recorded changes to another channel in the middle of the program (ie. the other channel I am watching while the recorded show is being transfered to VCR). I have checked for recordings around the time that it happens, but none are scheduled. I have also tried cold booting the box but it still occurs frequently. The only workaround so far is to simply play the recorded program and record it that way instead of using the copy-to-vcr function. But that means I cannot watch another show while it is being copied to vcr. Has anyone else encountered this problem, or has found a solution to it?

:confused:

#9 ·
re problem for jasonchan

jason
Your problem has been experienced by many and is a definite "bug" in the 8300HD. There are references elsewhere in this SA 8000 series forum, and the issue has even been assigned as an "official" item within the known 8300 issues and bugs list. The references in the forums refer to the issue being prevalent when performing a copy to vcr function while watching a show recorded to the hard drive at the same time. When the show being viewed ends, the copy to vcr audio output seems to revert to the audio of the channel on the 8300 tuner. Although I have found this to be the most common cause, I have also found that it can happen at any time during the copy to vcr, even when not watching a recorded program at the same time. The workaround you suggest is an option, although this kind of defeats the purpose of having the feature. I have found, or perhaps just been lucky, that performing a reboot of the box just before doing the copy to vcr will ensure that at least that one copy will turn out properly. Also, I have had success with turning off the 8300 after starting the copy to vcr function ( it will continue with the box off). This is ideal at night while sleeping. Hope this rather long winded answer helps.
atek99
P.S. I am now on my third 8300HD and they all have had this issue, so it is more than a rare occurrence.

#10 ·
8300HD Backup to VCR (DVD)

Hello

If I'm backing up a show I've recorded on the 8300HD PVR to my Panasonic DVD burner via the output 2 (I believe)RCA connections using the PVR backup utility I'm getting the following results:

If the original signal source was 480i or 480p, then my DVD recording will play back as full screen on my 16:9 TV.

If the original recording was 1080i, then my DVD recording will play back with grey horizontal bars at top & bottom, as well as black side bars on left & right so I'm only getting a smaller rectangular image centered on my TV.

Although the smaller image from the 1080i original signal is sharper is there some way I can control the result I'm getting (i.e. no horizontal bars) ?

I suspect it is the PVR that is adding the grey horizontal bars to the signal being sent to my DVD recorder.

Thanks.

Les.

#12 ·
Digles, with a normal 16x9 HD source program, you should get black bars only on the top/bottom (letterbox) when using a 480i output to record it. I suspect your original HD recording was an upconverted 4x3 program with black bars already present on both sides. These side black bars are part of the picture (as explained in 57's link 2 item: 4:3 HD Programmes). Next time, try recording 4x3 programs on their SD channels if you plan to archive them. However, I am not sure which of the 2 methods would provide the best archived PQ for 4x3 sources.

#13 ·
I am trying to understand how the copy to VCR/DVD works..

Lets say I have a TV show that i recorded on the 8300 that is 30 minutes...
and i want to copy it to a DVD recorder. Does that burn to the 1 DVD...and if I want to copy another TV show, I will have to use another DVD disc?
Is there a way to copy/burn multiple shows onto 1 DVD disc?

#14 ·
You need to check into the functionality of the DVD recorder, since the 8300 is just sending signals to the recorder. As I understand it, you can continue to record to disk until the disk is full, or until you finalize the disk. I believe you can also programme how you label the disk/contents - check the operating manual for the DVD recorder - they are all a little different. Some have a HDD where you would copy everything to first, then copy the contents of the HDD to the DVD - allowing easy editing of commercials, etc.

The amount you can record to a DVD is also impacted by the recording speed you choose.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you had set the recorder to the 1-hour mode for your first recording, you still have 30
minutes left on the DVD disc (assuming that you stopped the recorder after 30 minutes
and that you did NOT finalize the DVD). You can now copy another 30 minute show to
that disc. If your second show is 1 hour long, set the recording mode to the 2-hour mode
and the second show will still fit on that disc. Finalize when done and the disc should play
on any DVD player.

#16 ·
8300 HD Copy to vcr problem

My old 8300 SD PVR (rented from Rogers Toronto) gave up the ghost and they gave me a new 8300 HD PVR as a replacement (but did not subscribe to HD service). I hooked up the new terminal exactly as I'd hooked up the old one - A/V Out 2 from 8300 to A/V in on DVD recorder, A/V out on DVD recorder to A/V in on TV, and then coax out on 8300 to coax in on TV (it's an old TV with only these two inputs). With the old 8300 SD this allowed me to copy a recorded program from the PVR terminal (using "copy to vcr" function) to the DVD recorder, which I could watch on the TV when TV switched to A/V input, but also watch regular programming when the TV was switched to the coax input with the full funtionality of the PVR. When I copy a recorded program from the new 8300 HD to the DVD recorder, both the A/V Out 2 and coax out on the PVR seem to be in "copy to vcr" mode, sending the same signal to the DVD player and to the coax in on the TV. Consequently, I can only watch what is being recorded irrespective of which TV input I select, and have no functionality because the signal is locked into "copy to vcr" mode. There is conventional functionality going on inside the terminal, as the display shows channel changes, but it is simply not coming out of the coax out terminal. Rogers technical help is stymied. Anyone got any ideas?

#19 ·
The firmware in the HD may act differently from the SD. People who use the "copy to VCR" function may be able to assist, but I would think that most of these people have an HDTV and use the component video or HDMI connection, which circumvents your issue.

My suggestion would be to do your copying at a time when you don't need to do watching, or get yourself an HDTV. ;)

#21 · (Edited)
How's this for a workaround ? Get a splitter (2 outputs) and a coax switch.

-splitter output 1 to PVR
-splitter output 2 to switch (B)
-PVR coax output to switch (A)
-switch output to TV coax in

For normal TV watching, set switch to (A) , TV to channel 3 and
change channels on PVR.

When "copying to VCR", set switch to (B), and watch an analog channel
using your TV's tuner .
-

#22 ·
Problem solved. I finally sprung for an HDTV.

I think the issue is simply that the same signal goes out the Out 2 and the coax out on the HD terminal, and different signals go out of the Out 2 and coax out on the SD terminal.

Thanks again to all who offered assistance.

#23 ·
I just got hooked up with my SA8300HD and so far I'm loving it. I'm using the 'out 2' jacks to archive content to my old Toshiba HDD/DVR. It works well, although I have a problem with SD content that was recorded from an HD channel. Instead of the DVR recording 4x3 full screen, it treats it as though it's HD and letterboxes the program with black bars on the sides.

I now understand that I should record SD shows from SD channels, in order to archive them full screen 4x3. I'm just wondering if there is a work around for SD shows I have already recorded from HD channels.

Simply put, is there a way to zoom on the shows I'm archiving to my DVR through the 'out 2' jacks?

#25 ·
I realize the TV zoom function is an option but as you said, the PQ sucks. I also want to burn a DVD for a friend who missed the show in question and doesn't have an HDTV, therefore he has no zoom.

I take it there is no work around on the PVR side. I guess I'm stuck with a tiny picture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.