Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Samsung HPS5073 vs. Toshiba 47HL167

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  kev604 
#1 ·
OK, here's the deal...

I have been sifting through the the billions of reviews online and looking in my local electronic stores searching for an new HDTV. Our house was struck by lightning and the insurance company is actually going to PAY for new stuff instead of fighting us for it!! (so far!) =)

We just had an old school projection HD unit so this will be quite an upgrade. In my searching, the two models I have decided on are the Samsung HPS5073 and the Toshiba 47HL167. Plasma or LCD doesn't bother me... both are good technologies. Each unit has the features and connections that I want. My basic struggle, I think, is I like the 50" size of the Samsung, but I like the 1080p capability of the Toshiba. I think I am leaning towards the Toshiba because the size difference is only 3" diagonally, which really isn't much.

Both units can be had for about $1900.00 from reputable online stores (Tiger Direct and Amazon). The Samsung is refurbished but comes with a 1yr extended warranty, so being a refurb doesn't bother me.

So, what do you guy's think?? Weigh in on the unit you like best and why... and if you have a suggestion about another unit I haven't mentioned feel free to add to my confusion!! =)

Thanks for your time and help!!

- Marc

See less See more
#4 ·
I also found the Panasonic TH-50PX600U which seems very highly rated also. Any thoughts on this unit? I am kind of leaning this way now!

I have seen cheaper prices from other stores. I am leery of buying from a online company that I know nothing about. Any info on reputable online dealers. I have shopped Tiger Direct and trust them. However their units are refurbs. If I went with them I would probably want the extended 1 yr warranty. Is this unnecessary?

Tiger Direct also has the TH-50PX600U for around $1650.00 NEW shipped. That's another reason I was interested in the Panasonic.

What do ya think??

#6 ·
I pretty much never buy refurbished.
$1650 for the Panasonic is an amazing price but $1650 is still alot of coin. I wouldn't be messing around with a refurb, I'd suck it up and cough up the extra cash to buy a new one.

My 2 cents.

#8 ·
Wait a minute!
Is there a reason your comparing a refurbed Samsung plasma with a Toshiba LCD? Don't mean to be rude or anything but Samsung aren't known for making the best plasma's and Toshiba LCD's aren't exactly up there either. At those price points I think you could probably do better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.