Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Rogers Internet Latency Issues - Brampton

6K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  rfielder 
#1 ·
Has anyone in Brampton been experiencing their internet lagging and even disconnecting? Rogers suggested I return my modem and exchange for the newer model currently available, and I did but the problem is still there.
I've checked this over multiple pc's, and connecting directly into the cable modem, resetting, connecting over different network cards. The connection is still bad. I can't be the only one?!

#4 ·
Rogers latency has been terrible in Brampton lately

I have had the same experience with Rogers.
Chatted with a tech support.
He said the diagnostic on my modem, CISCO, showed it had no faults.

the internet signal failed during our chat for about 3 minutes.
After a few more questions he said I should replace my modem.

I am skeptical that a new modem will solve the problem.

I am near Kennedy and Williams Parkway in Brampton

#5 ·
Likely.. they are doing infrastructure upgrades in the area.. so its all networking equipment/back end that is causing it. (if more than one of you in the area are having it)

But of course.. the technicians on the phone.. don't have access to the information that that sort of work is being done..

#6 ·
I have an ongoing issue with my cable modem. Currently on Extreme service with Rogers.

The cable modem is in bridge mode, and I use a DLink DIR-655 as router. Only the DIR-655 is directly attached to the cable modem.

Two to four times a day the cable modem must be reset. If you leave it, it might come back, but often will remain hung (stopped? dead?) until the power is cycled.

No idea if this is the same as the OP asked about, but since I am in Brampton and have been having a problem, thought i would throw it in.

I am off work over the Christmas and New Year's weeks, so I hope to have the time to ask Rogers for assistance. My plan is to wait for the modem to stop, leave it stopped, and call Rogers. Maybe they can link to the modem and see what is going on.....

#8 ·
After replacing my modem (twice) to the latest one, and buying a new router ASUS RT-AC68U there is no change with the internet connection in the evenings. I have noticed this, everyday at about 7pm to midnight the connection just goes bad, as if it's on schedule to do that. It gets so slow that when accessing google.com it times out and it can't connect. This does not happen during the day before 7pm. I mean I had a better connection back in the days of the 28.8k baud modem. The rogers-tech has confirmed packet loss is at their end and my neighbours are experiencing the same, the rogers-tech also has issues connecting to my modem. The multiple times I called Rogers they issued a ticket for the engineers to check this issue out, however from my perspective it looks as if nothing is being done.
The modem is bridged and router is secured with a very long alpha numeric key, so if you are thinking someone is accessing my network they aren't. Connecting directly to modem while it's in gateway mode does not improve the connection.
I thought that possibly the cables connecting my house and their distribution box are corrupted in some-way, but then that would make the internet connection just bad all the time, so It can't be the cables, right.

The strange in this is;
-this started last year (2013) in September,
-Rogers-tech confirms there is signal loss/packet-loss and escalates a ticket to have rogers engineers check it out, but nothing improves, (I call once to twice a week), the rogers-tech usually says "I don't know why that happens" even through they confirm the issues is at their end,
-Everyday at 7pm like clockwork the internet connection becomes almost unusable

This is starting to drive me mad, because it seems as if the solution is unreachable at the moment. I'm not giving up.

#9 ·
Seems most likely then.. that one of the nodes that your connection goes through.. it likely over congested.
Considering the time of day.. probably one of the most heavyest times of day for usage..

There is probably just TOO many people going through that node.. or its faulty that it cant handle the load.

The trick is to get engineers/maintenance to LOOK at it :(
Took me about 2 months to get something similar (effected only about 3 streets in my subdivision), to get resolved. Pretty much a call every night to have it recorded the issue.. get a tech out, nothing.. get another tech out, nothing.. probably got fed up paying the techs :p

#15 ·
^^^^
IIRC, that live chat requires a computer running Windows. I run Linux. It is not a good idea to force your customers to use specific products. For example it's entirely possible to do a live chat with nothing but the user's choice of browser on any platform. And, as I mentioned before, you can't beat email, if you have to convey a lot of specific, detailed info.

#17 ·
^^^^
I don't run Mac either. As I said, I use Linux on my computers. Given that other companies have no problem with live chat on any operating system, why should Rogers tell people what software they have to use? There are open methods available. Why does Rogers insist on using a closed one?
It should make absolutely no difference what someone is using, if this function is set up properly.

#19 ·
To be fair, most companies do not officially support Linux.

Also the Rogers tech support chat uses Logmein which allows the agent to access your computer. I'm pretty sure that software only runs on Windows or Mac. Regular customer care live chat should work on any modern web browser regardless of OS.

#20 ·
^^^^
I'm not talking about them supporting Linux. I was saying they should not force customers to use proprietary products, when open methods are available. Other companies have live chat available that doesn't require anything beyond a browser. It doesn't matter what OS the person is using.

It wasn't that long ago that many web sites required Internet Explorer and wouldn't work properly with other browsers. We've fortunately gotten away from that. It should be the same here, where generic software is all that's needed.

#22 ·
As I've been trying to point out, companies that support a wide range of customers should not require specific software, when it's not needed. Since other companies can do it, Rogers should reconsider their choice of tools. Funny thing, I can go to the Microsoft site, get all sorts of stuff and not need Windows. I can do just fine with Linux and Firefox. That wasn't always the case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.