Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Motorola DCX3400 Coming/ Has arrived to Eastlink

123K views 217 replies 59 participants last post by  denben73 
#1 ·
Eastlink will be getting this new reciever in a few weeks, I stopped by my local Eastlink store and he showed me the internal info guide. It appears to be the DCX3425 (250gb) model and I was also told the eSATA port IS enabled for extended capacity.

Its a really sharp looking unit, I cannot wait for it, I am ready to pack up my 6416 Phase III right now!

I wonder what the guide will look like or if any i-guide feature enhancements.

#31 ·
Well I called in because my PoS box the guide was lagging so much, everytime you would browse the guide it would freeze, then speed up and go way passed the channels you were looking for and end up in the music channels or high 800s or something.

So they said they would swap it out with a 6416 or 3416. My luck they landed here today with the DCX3400-M. It was setup very fast, downloaded the crap from eastlink quick too. Looks good, very clean cut. I think the picture might look a bit better too. The old one I had, I was using DVI converter to HDMI then plugged into the TV.

#34 ·
Does anyone know if Charlottetown offers 100% digital?

I would like to swap my DVR for the new DCX3400 but I understand that it doesn't have an analogue tuner so I don't want to lose any channels (although I suppose Eastlink wouldn't let me swap if that were the case)

#35 ·
I also got the DCX3400-M and one thing I noticed is on the HD channels my old box was inputting the video signal on the 1080i channels @ 1920x1080i@25 , now when I went into the diagnostics after the DCX3400-M was installed I saw that the signals on the HD channels were coming in at 1920x1080i@30 so there is a difference right there in the FPS. 3416 was inputting signal at 25fps and now the new 3400 is inputting signal at 30fps.

#37 ·
I got mine, didn't swap, doesn't matter, I will return the other one once I am done watching the shows on it.

Things I notice is upon pressing power the unit does not respond to any remote function for nearly a minute. The guide, took, literally, 7-10 hours to fully download and it has locked up a few times.

Not sure maybe it's just me.. I will have to play around a bit.

#40 ·
External hard drive capability?

Does anyone know if EastLink's new Motorola DCX3400-M can support an external hard drive like the WD 1 GB DVR Expander? I believe there's an eSATA port at the back, just below the HDMI port, but don't know if it works. It wouldn't be long before the built-in 250 GB drive fills up on 1 hour HD shows and 2 hour HD movies!

#43 ·
I certainly hope the Sata port is enabled via Eastlink. Looking at other forums for other cable providers with most of their boxes (not sure about the DCX) have the ability for external storage configured.
Jimbo - you have the DCX , do you know if the port is enabled or not? Are you running an external drive with your unit?

#46 ·
I don't know if mine is enabled or not because I do not have an external HDD to test it but Quadrature says and has an external running on his so I guess there is your answer . It is enabled according to Quadrature. I thought we were going to get a whole new looking guide as well but were still stuck with this plain looking one.

#47 ·
One thing I have noticed with the DCX3400-M is there are absolutely no more audio dropouts. I use to get them with my old DVR but since I have had this new DVR I have yet to have one single audio dropout, not one. The tech mentioned this when he was here last week installing the box that these new DVR's seem to process the audio streams a lot better than the other DVR's. He said also that when they were testing the new boxes that they can see the audio blips in the streams coming in but for some reason the DCX3400-M processes this signal and outputs it without any audio dropouts/errors and the guys back at the office are baffled and actually relieved a little that these boxes seem to fix this problem in which they had no idea how to lol.

#48 ·
DCX3400 and 30 second skip forward

I just upgraded to the DCX3400 from the old model and noticed toight that when watching something I recorded I no longer have the 30 second skip forward option.

Has anyone managed to get this working? I'd hate to start watching commercials again :)

#49 ·
Hey IGnun

i'm curious how everyone is upgrading to the DCX3400. Did you have trouble with your old box? where do you live?
i am trying to narrow down where they are using this new box- is it widespread.i have had a few problems on and off with the older motorola and would love to get this new box. mind you the extra storage capacity and ablity for external hard drive is another reason i would love to have it.
I'm in Pictou County NS.

#50 ·
I'm in Halifax and had no trouble swapping it out at all. I just called customer service and asked if I could swap because I heard the new box had more storage. They put a note on my file and I just took my old box to the kiosk at the mall and swapped. No questions asked.

I like how responsive the new box is but in addition to the lack of 30 second skip it seems to turn itself off when it doesn't detect a TV on the other end of the connection which would be fine if it turned itself on when I turned the TV back on...I use a harmony remote and my setup has always been to leave the DVR on all the time.

#51 ·
I have the 6416 III and I don't have a quick skip ahead, I have the quick skip rewind...unless I'm totally missing something.

My question with the 3400 is, does it slow down? My box gets reallllllllly slow sometimes, and I have to hard reset it about once a week to prevent it becoming jurassic.

#53 ·
Solved the auto power off issue...if you turn the 3400 off and within two seconds hit the menu button you will get a configuration menu that allows you to set a few more options for the DVR, one of which is auto poweroff.

Now if I could get the 30 second skip back I'd be a happy man...if it is even supported.

#54 ·
ignun, I had a 3400 going in Our office during the Olympics. We programmed a remote to enable the 30 skip on it. If I remember correctly we used the the same macros as the old dct boxes. Give them a try. If you can't find the macros I will try to dig them up at work tomorrow for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.