Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

92XX/94XX Installation 101

797K views 2K replies 430 participants last post by  17671 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
There has been a lot of discussion on the 92XX regarding installation; so much so that I've decided to put together this thread. Now, let me start off by saying that I haven't installed a 92XX myself; most of this info has come through my own research and reading online. If you find anything I've put in here to be in error, please let me know so I can make the appropriate corrections. As well, keep in mind these installation instructions are geared towards those of you familliar with the basics of installing satellite dishes.

First commonly asked question is if it can be hooked up using only one of the tuners. The answer to that is no. If you try to do so, you will run into problems. The bottom line is you have to use both inputs on the 92XX for it to function correctly.

Example #1- Installing a 92XX using only 1 cable.
To do this, you will need the following items. A Dish Pro Plus (DPP) Twin LNB, and a DPP Seperator.

You connect 1 RG6 cable to the DPP Twin LNB, run it into the house, and then use the DPP Seperator to seperate the signals into the 2 inputs of the 92XX. Your connection will look like this:

Now, some people have asked if they can install 2-92XX's in the same house? The answer is yes. Using one more seperator, you can use the extra connection on the DPP Twin LNB and connect them both.

Please note that the 2nd receiver in this example can be any other type of receiver; new or old (Legacy.) DPP will support either. Of course with a single tuner receiver you will not need the seperator on that one.

RG6 is the preferred cable type to use for all satellite installations, please see following links for more details

Digital Home FAQ: Cables and Connections:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76085

Digital Home FAQ: Cables, Splitters:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=3327

See less See more
Reactions: hugh
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Option #2- Installing the 92XX using a Quad LNB
This is probably the easiest way for most people who have other Bell receivers; and are able to do multiple cable runs. Basically the Quad LNB has 4 outputs on it. 2 of the outputs need to run to the 92XX, and the other 2 can run into 2 receivers.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Option#3- Using an SW44
Once again, this method is pretty easy. As well, this method will be supported by Bell as it is using hardware that Bell sell. In fact, this uses the hardware included in the 9220 package. Previous methods used Dish Network (Echostar) hardware.

The 9220 package will come with 2 Dual LNB's. You take the 4 outputs from those LNB's and with 4 cable runs, connect them into the switch. You then take the 2 of the outputs of the switch, run them to the 9200 receiver. Once again you can use the remaining 2 connections to connect to up to 2 more Bell receivers.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Example #4- Installing with 2 SW21 Switches
I am leaving this example in here. Originally we thought that Bell would be giving us 2 SW-21 switches; however it looks like Bell has stepped up and given us a SW44 instead. (Good on Bell) :D

Each of the LNB's will point to one satellite, so you use the switches as if you are combining the signal. So a line goes from each LNB into each of the switches, then each of the cables coming out of both switches goes into the receiver.

Example #5- Installing using two dishes

This example is very useful for those of us out west, because the amount of skew required to use one dish often results in a sacrifice in signal quality. Many people already have one dish for their current receivers, and now we are given a second dish with our 9200 package. The basic principle is simple; the switch and receivers don't care that the two seperate LNB's are on different dishes or on the same one. So you aim one dish at 91, then aim the second dish at 82. Then you take your 2 lines from each LNB into the SW44, and from there onto your receivers.

#6 ·
Ken,

Excellent diagrams and thanks for taking the time to find them.

The only question I have is the dual 9200 setup. The lnb has three outputs and using the DPP separators you would only need two wires from that lnb. Does that mean you have one more output you can use for another receiver?

Does the DPP come with 4 outputs instead of 3?

I am pretty sure I can have a 5200 and 9200 using this technique. Am i correct?

Thanks

Joe

#7 ·
I was wondering if I should explain that one. The 3rd connection on the DPP Twin is an input for a 3rd LNB, not an output. People in the States with Dishnetwork; many of them get their locals from a 3rd satellite, like at 105 or 121. So if you have Dish, you need 3 LNB's instead of 2. (The 2 main Dish satellites are 9 degrees apart at 110 and 119.)

However Joe, your 5200 should be capable of using my "2-9200's" technique using the DPP Twin and a seperator for the 5200 as well as one for the 9200. I just confirmed this here: DPP PDF
(Keep in mind the 5200 is called a 721 in the Dish world.)

#10 ·
Ken,

thanks for the link to the pdf.

One other question. Does it matter how long the single wire run is before you separate it?

For ex. If you have a 100 ft distance. Are there any differences other than cable and work for placing the separator near the dish, in the middle or a few feet from the receiver?

Thanks

Joe

#11 ·
I think the seperator is designed to work just a couple of feet from the receiver. But I can't see why it wouldn't work elsewhere. And with DPP it allows for runs of 200 feet, so anywhere within the 100 foot run should work.

#13 ·
Another option to consider is the DPP44 switch, which allows you to hook upto 4 receivers from the Dpp-Twin LNB including doing the single run to a dual tuner and using a DPP Separator.

Is there any word yet as to whether BEV is going to include the separator in the 9200 box?

Alt

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
joedoe said:
I am grounding the wires through a grounding block which has two coax inputs and 2 outputs. Do you see DPP working with this?
Everything I saw when doing my research on this as far as electical code said to run them through a grounding block. So I would think it could handle it fine. As long as the grounding block is rated the same as RG6 and not RG59.

Altaman said:
Is there any word yet as to whether BEV is going to include the separator in the 9200 box?
From what I have been told, Bell is going to just give us 2 SW21's in the box; which will allow for the hook up of the 9200 and nothing else off this dish. This is part of the reason for there being so many questions about installing; the system as Bell gives it to you won't work for more than one receiver.

Altaman said:
Another option to consider is the DPP44 switch, which allows you to hook upto 4 receivers from the Dpp-Twin LNB including doing the single run to a dual tuner and using a DPP Separator.
I saw that in my research yesterday, but I could only find one source so I didn't post it because I wasn't able to confirm that it would work. I can't see why it wouldn't though. Here's the diagram as Altaman suggested.

#16 ·
I currently have 4 receivers connected to a SW44: 2 3100's , 1 5900 and 1 6000.The 5900 and 6000 are connected to the same TV [the 9200 would replace these two]. What are my options for being able to add more receivers to my setup. I seem to recall that there is a new switch that can work in tandem of a SW44 that can be daisy chained.

#17 ·
Joe, my understanding is that the 2 ports that are together are the ones used for us Bell people as outputs. The one that stands alone is the input for the other LNB.

WojtekZ, I have seen examples of daisy chaining as well. However I'm not familiar with exactly how it works so I'll let somebody else comment.

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here is a picture when using two SW-44a and SW-44. Most people will only need one SW-44a. You only need the Launch Amplifier if you use two SW-44s. If you are using one Sw-44a have the SW-44a connected to the SW-44.

Also, when one uses the Dish Pro Plus 44 (DPP-44) switch the LNB that is used doesnt have to be the Dish Pro Plus LNB. You can use a Dish Pro Twin or Quad.
Legacy LNBs will not work, when using the DPP-44 switch.

Finding these through Canadian retailers will be almost impossible as i belive these are only available to authorized Dish retailers. I could be wrong though.

Brad

#23 ·
Legacy or Pro Plus Quad LNB

Ken,
This is a great FQA.

I have a question as I have seen different answers.
I have 2 older (3/4xxx series receivers) and 6200 series. I will most likely replace the 6200 to the 9200 PVR. I have not yest installed the SW44 switch. I have been thinking about replacing the the 2 Dual LNBS to a Quad. In fact, I just purchased a Legacy Quad from eBay last week.

I have seen on different threads that the Legacy is suppose to work with the older equipment and newer ones. Is this true or do I need to purchase a PP Quad LNB?

Thanks.

#24 ·
Good work Ken. The Dishpro+ solution is probably the best for a 2 cable run setup but I would be a bit concerned about the Evu firmware support. It will be interesting to see if the 9200 can handle the new hardware "out of the box" or whether a future firmware upgrade will be required. :(
Just hoping for the best... :)

#25 ·
BD- the legacy hardware will work fine with the newer receivers as well as the older ones. Just to summarize:

Legacy- works will all recivers; Dish Pro and Lecacy- allows 100 foot cable runs
Dish Pro- works only with Dish Pro receivers- allows 200 foot cable runs
Dish Pro Plus- works with legacy as long as there is also a Dish Pro receiver in the mix- allows for 200 foot cable runs and allows for seperators.

#26 ·
klystron said:
....but I would be a bit concerned about the Evu firmware support. It will be interesting to see if the 9200 can handle the new hardware "out of the box" or whether a future firmware upgrade will be required. :(
Just hoping for the best... :)

I am wondering the same. Can anyone confirm if the DPP works on the 5200?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.