Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

April 21 PSN and Qriocity outage

24K views 167 replies 36 participants last post by  audacity 
#1 ·
#57 ·
Ok, hang on a sec.

I can understand people being mad at Sony because it took so long for them to communicate the extent they were compromised.

But some of you guys also sound mad just at the fact that Sony got hacked. Why? Do you think your data is really any safer with: Amazon? Paypal? Ebay? Facebook? Steam? Your own bank website? etc.

Couldn't this kind of external intrusion happen to any big corporation?

#58 ·
The scope of the breech seems to indicate that Sony wasn't following any of the best practices for securing confidential information.

This isn't data that needs to be highly available and it's possible to structure it so that you can only access information on a person with a shared secret (Like say a hash of their password)

The database servers shouldn't have been accessible enough to compromise just because the external facing servers were.

#64 ·
Sony is saying:

15. How will I know if my personal information has been compromised?
We have provided notices to consumers at the email addresses associated with their PlayStation Network/Qriocity accounts.
Does this mean that if I have not received an email that my account was not compromised (based on their investigation)?

Not that I am going to blindly trust this and not take steps to protect myself.

Cheers

#67 ·
Well the good news is the size of the leak is so big it will likely take the SOB's weeks to sort out all the data they stolen so we got time to change all our Password's. Still Sony should have come forward way sooner. Thank god I never gave them a credit card number!

#68 ·
How do we know the Sony system was not compromised for months and the hackers haven't had access for a long time?

#72 ·
I'm wondering what happens to your info if you cancel your PSN account? Is it deleted, or is it still stored somewhere, like Facebook? And I'm definitely considering only using my PS3 as a blu-ray player now. The Demon's Souls sequel is coming out for the 360 as well, and the Final Fantasy franchise has bottomed out. There really isn't any game I need to play on the PS3 anymore.

I bet Sony wishes they had left that "Other OS" option alone...

#73 ·
How do I close a PlayStation®Network account?

Once a PlayStation Network account is created, you can not delete it. It will remain on the PlayStation Network servers forever. If you wish, you may remove it from your PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system so it is no longer visible.
In light of recent events, I can definitely see this policy changing. I'm sure their customer service line is getting more than a few calls requesting permanent account deletions.

#76 ·
And, the class-actions have started:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20057921-260.html

The complaint accuses Sony of not taking ""reasonable care to protect, encrypt, and secure the private and sensitive data of its users" and not allowing customers "to make an informed decision as to whether to change credit card numbers, close the exposed accounts, check their credit reports, or take other mitigating actions."

#77 ·
Frankly I hope that Sony gets sued for millions. Not because I have a hate on for Sony but simply to put big companies on notice that they have a responsibility to protect sensitive customer information.

If Sony gets successfully sued for $500 million then you can be darn sure that other companies will do a lot more to protect their customers data.

yes it will cost consumers a bit more but I think its worth it.

#83 ·
Frankly I hope that Sony gets sued for millions. Not because I have a hate on for Sony but simply to put big companies on notice that they have a responsibility to protect sensitive customer information.
First I should confess I've had a bit of a hate on for Sony ever since they pulled that root kit debacle on all the CDs they published which installed a root kit on your OS. I remember having to clean that up on a couple of my friends computers.

While I think it is bad that Sony's systems got hacked, Sony's fault is merely incompetence, not malice like the Sony root kit case. It is monumentally difficult to create a highly secured system, especially when there are privileged users on the said system who are human. Humans are corruptible or can be manipulated into giving out information much too easily. There are a number of security studies that have been done on this topic, and the results are scary.

I think Sony should be responsible for the remuneration of it's affected customers, but I don't think awarding punitive damages is justified as long as Sony can prove that they went to considerable effort to secure their systems, and their systems were compromised in spite of those efforts.

I dislike Sony, but I dislike unfairness even more. Sony is about to face the anger of a mob that doesn't realize how difficult it is to lock computers down and I start to feel sorry for them.

But then I remember the root kit thing.

#78 ·
I hope a class action suit comes out of this so we can all sign up and get some restitution for Sony's lack of transparency (and lateness on telling us of the severity) on a critical issue about its customers personal information. I have already cancelled my credit card as a precaution (of which I am already inconvenienced over until my new one arrives in a week), but I would loathe to see any mail show up at my door or get phone calls about things I never applied for due to someone having my personal information and using it to their gain. Hopefully that never happens.

#80 ·
Just got the email as well.

I will be calling my credit card company also. Now I'll have to call everybody who gets paid automatically (again) to let them know about the new number.

We need credit cards with little LED numbers on them that revolve and generate single use numbers, like revolving garage door codes.

At any rate, the silver lining is that based on the dates mentioned in their communications (April 17-19), if something bad had to happen with your cc, it would have happened already. Whomever stole the info would have acted on it rather quickly as they know everybody in on high alert now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.