Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

C Band going out?

12K views 43 replies 9 participants last post by  classicsat 
#1 ·
I read rumor that C-Band might be on it's way out. Said that providers aren't taking any more annual subscriptions due to possible discontinuance. Will this affect FTA programming? Anybody know for sure?

#28 ·
Personally I use the 4d once in a while to grab a small discovery pack or whatever here and there, I use dvb 90% of the time, I usually fire up the old 4d in the winter months. Works for me if these mini packs are still around in the new year. Man I would love to be able to use that new Shaw Direct 630 and sub to the HD channels but we all know that ain't going to happen :(

#30 ·
Would need some kind of add on board to access Megapipe feeds, and if anyone did that they mite as well go all out and aim at the 630's, since the 530's would not be able to do dvb-s2 H.264 where as the 630's could. The 530's would be very limited/outdated, the 630 is future proof for a while.

#31 ·
So here's a question (as I try to stay on topic): Now that SD is upgrading their STB's, what happens to the old 505's & 530's? Could they be theoretically used by Skyvision in much the same way they look to be using old 401's?
i've asked the question to mike
technically it's doable after a master reset to point the receivr to W5 nad download the firmware to do 4DTV but
he said that motorolla had an agreement with shaw direct not to authorise the shaw direct receivers on 4DTV so technically it.s doable but motorolla would not authorise them

#33 ·
For 505/530s to be useable for C-band DC-II yes, one that posesses those receiver could not just sell them to somebody to use for C-band.

The receivers would have to be collected by Shaw or their agents, then shipped en-masse to a refurbisment centre, where they would get re-flashed for firmware duty, and their serial/UA numbers moved from Shaw's database to the C-band one, then shipped off to C-band equipment distributors.

As well, a C-band compatible firmware would need written for that platform, as the original 4DTV software will not work on it.

#37 ·
I never said it was feasable, I just said what would have to be done to get the 505/530 units to actually work on C-band.

Besides, since they will work fine as Standard Def boxes on Shaw Direct, there is no real incentive for Shaw to collect them et al.

Getting a Starchoice DSR401 to take a W5 software load is the half of it. The receiver will need activated by a W5 provider, and they will not activate a receiver still on the Shaw database. That is except to get fixed/open key programming any EMM provider can receive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.