Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

No CBC Ontario in Winnipeg

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  PsychoJason 
#1 ·
209 on Shaw was HD CBC Ontario, now it will be the Winnipeg feed and the Leafs are not on... any idea if its on Center ICe tonight. I can't see it listed.

#6 ·
Basically Shaw dropped the ball by only having one CBC HD feed in their lineup. Everywhere used to have CBLTD (CBC Toronto HD) until more and more local CBC affiliates converted to HD. Since CBC Winnipeg recently converted to HD (no doubt pushed forward more quickly due to the Jets arrival), Shaw replaced the Toronto affiliate with the Winnipeg one to appease the majority of the people. Yes there are tons of Leafs fans in Winnipeg that are going to be pissed, and you have every right to be. Since CBC has national broadcast rights yet only shows some games regionally, Centre Ice can't pick up the games. Still I blame Shaw and most providers for not making at least a timeshift CBC HD feed or temporary feed available for Saturday nights. I hear MTS ADDED the Winnipeg feed and kept the Toronto feed in tact, so if you want to see the Leafs, switch to MTS. Make sure you let Shaw know why you're switching and maybe they will get their act together. I know I'm beating a dead horse here but this really should NOT be a problem, come on Shaw!

#9 ·
I have to pay extra for channel 79....I ordered NHL CI to get all the Leaf games not on CBC....now I'm not getting the CBC games at all....isn't the purpose of CI to recieve all NHL games which aren't blacked out in your local area? I also will be immediatley changing providers....sick of all the $5.00 increases & recieving less & less of what I want to watch!

#10 ·
Channel 79 is CBC Ontario - Ottawa, it covers Sens games.

I have checked and MTS offer CBC HD Winnipeg on channel 416 while keeping CBC HD - Toronto on 412.

Looks like I have a call to make... see ya shaw, and helow MTS.
Sucks I will have to order CI through another provided - costing $200 - Im sure there is no refund from Shaw

#15 ·
I would say its CBC dropping the ball. They have national broadcast rights, which means all of their games are considered local market across the country. Then they go and play them in specific regions.

Centre Ice can't carry them, because CBC already owns the broadcast rights across Canada.

Then people complain that shaw won't carry a 2nd CBC station, which i think its kind of pointless, for only one or two hockey games a week.

I blame CBC. They run regional stations, buy national broadcast rights, so they can't be picked up by out of town fans on centre ice.

#16 ·
Its official - switched to MTS tonight....

I still think its Shaw's issue.. OK CBC isn't blame free either. Why couldn't Shaw just add CBC Winnipeg as did MTS... Typical Shaw fashion, we will give you this Channel, but we will be taking this one back.

This sparked me to look into what MTS has available, channel, price, etc.

MTS was willing to work with me, and I am getting CI reduced since I will loose it when I move from Shaw.

I'm not saying MTS is perfect, but after 10 years of Quality and Service issue with Shaw its time to give MTS a try... not to mention a 3 Hour wait time when calling Shaw customer service and a 10 Min wait from MTS....

#17 ·
I am another unhappy Leafs fan in Winnipeg after Shaw switched the HD feed. I contacted shaw and they "put in a request" to have CBC toronto added to the lineup. I notice that shaw has 5 CTV time shifts in their SD package, and only 1 CBC time shift.

As for the comment that it doesn't make sense to add the channel just for different programming on one night a week, I tend to agree. However, why couldn't shaw show EVERY HNIC game that is airing on one of their sports channels in the 300s??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.