7 p.m. ET Montreal at Ottawa

Saturday, April 9

1 p.m. ET Ottawa at Boston
7 p.m. ET Montreal at Toronto
10 p.m. ET Vancouver at Calgary

See less See more
#61 ·
Not sure if it's broadcast in 5.1 ...

But anyway ...I wanted to mention ... the late night re-play of the game ... it was all action and few breaks. They played the whole game in about an hour. From about 1:30 AM to 2:30 AM Eastern Time.

All intermissions and breaks in play were left out on the re-broadcast.
Nice editing CBC ... all action ... with the bulk of the game itself intact.

I think CBC will also re-play the Chicago at Vancouver game after / now.
Now *THAT* is a good way to watch hockey.

The Toronto at Montreal game was great tonight. Very entertaining.

Thanks CBC - nice editing on the re-play of the game.

#66 ·
This Saturday's HNIC games for Dec. 3 and it is a tripleheader.

San Jose at Montreal is the first game.

The split telecasts for the second games are:

Boston at Toronto for all of Canada except the Ottawa Valley,
Buffalo at Ottawa for the Ottawa Valley only.

St. Louis at Edmonton is the third game.

#69 ·
Pretty annoying. The best and currently most entertaining Canadian team is forced to play a game at 2:00 in the afternoon when many fans are busy doing other things usually away from home. Meanwhile the worst team is given Prime Time and almost all of the country all to themselves while a western loser closes out the evening. Hardly an appetising schedule. Why doesn't the CBC demand that start times be arranged more logically based on audience appeal?

#70 ·
First off all start times are set before the season begins, so CBC nor the NHL know for sure who is going to be a dog and won't be. Should they implement flex scheduling ala how the NFL does? Perhaps, but thats a topic for a different thread.

Also, your argument about games being arranged based on audience appeal is actually what they are doing. Like it or not, but the highest ratings on Saturday nights come from the Toronto area. It's why the Leafs play the maximum alloted games that the CBC are allowed too request. Does it suck if you aren't a Leafs fan? For sure, especially when the team sucks (which I more-so believe is what your argument is, that the best teams should be playing on Saturday at 7pm) but for the CBC the Leafs arewhere the money is...

#71 ·
Also, your argument about games being arranged based on audience appeal is actually what they are doing. Like it or not, but the highest ratings on Saturday nights come from the Toronto area.
Don't confuse audience appeal with ratings. Someone else here said that weekly ratings are only done in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. Toronto viewership is obvious. Most Montrealers will watch the game on RDS regardless what CBC shows and most Vancouverites won't watch the "prime time" (afternoon for them) game so the ratings of HNIC Prime Time for the country is basically an extrapolation of what Toronto viewers watch.

Now the CBC doesn't care how many people actually watch the game but only what the ratings are, as that is what determines their advertising revenue.

#74 ·
http://www.cbc.radio-canada.ca/mobile/nosmobiles.html

According to CBC's Mobile Division website, they have launched a 3rd HD truck, called Evolution. I would assume that this truck was the one they used for Quebec University Football this season, but now that that is done, hopefully it will be regional Habs and/or Sens games that make use of this truck now.

#75 ·
reidw posted
Pretty annoying. The best and currently most entertaining Canadian team is forced to play a game at 2:00 in the afternoon when many fans are busy doing other things usually away from home. Meanwhile the worst team is given Prime Time and almost all of the country all to themselves while a western loser closes out the evening. Hardly an appetising schedule. Why doesn't the CBC demand that start times be arranged more logically based on audience appeal?
I agree with you and the Senators have also had games on at that time in the past. The problem is out west where those games commence at 1100h Pacific and 1200h Mountain. The best idea to promote these tripleheaders would be have them be continuous starting at 1300h Pacific, 1600h Eastern.

If the CBC likes doing these odd Saturday afternoon games then the western canadian teams should also be on. The Flames played last week on Saturday vs. the Penguins and was unfortunately on Sportsnet West. The same thing will happen to the Canucks later this season.

Split-telecasts would also help during the western prime time game.

#77 ·
Why does the CBC insist on lying about the schedule online. The Sharks/Habs is NOT in HD, not even 5.1. I'm sure the Sabres/Sens won't be either. All four games today say (HD) after the teams and "HD Where Available"...do they think their viewers are legally blind or something?

#78 ·
Picture Focus Problems - Sens/Sabres?

I've noticed on previous Sens CBC broadcasts (I'm guessing more likely when it's not the national game) that focus seems to be very erratic. Wonder of this is an equipment or an operator problem?

I also notice, that during these broadcasts, there are NO out of town updates, let alone video replays, until they get to McLean in the intermission. Ottawa's too far off the network to push video updates?

#82 ·
I hadn't thought about it before but you are correct. They seem to do it a lot in the playoffs, but not so much during the regular season.

I tend to agree with this policy. There are too many other games going on during the regular season and unless it is getting close to the end of the season, the results of other games aren't important enough to interrupt the game I am watching. Just my thoughts.

#80 ·
This Friday

According to Bell's EPG, this coming Friday night (Dec. 10) the CBC is showing the Montreal at Detroit game live in the east (Toronto, Montreal, Halifax) but is delay broadcasting it in the west (Vancouver). I know this used to happen for some BJ baseball games on CBC but is this the first time the CBC has done this for a hockey game? (It's the first time I've seen this since I got time shifting service from Bell). Is this the start of new policy at the CBC? How do western fans feel about seeing a game after it's already over?

#83 ·
I agree they can't cover them all. But didn't they used to show in game highlights of the other CBC games? Ottawa/Buffalo was our regional broadcast; I expected to see updates from Boston/Toronto, but you wouldn't have known that game was even being played . . until Cherry comes on, of course.

#84 ·
Friday HNIC special (reidw mentioned it) has Montreal at Detroit. Game time is 1600h Pacific, 1900h Eastern.

This Saturday's HNIC games for Dec. 11.

Montreal at Toronto is the first game.
Tampa Bay at Vancouver is the second game.

Friday's game will be live for the entire CBC network.
No split telecasts until Jan. 8.

#88 ·
Audio dropouts on Leafs-Sens game tonight

I found that there was major audio dropouts during tonight's Leafs-Sens game. At one point there was no audio for about 5 minutes at the end of one of the periods, and off and on audio dropouts throughout the game. Anyone else experienced this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.