Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

porting from voip.ms to bell

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  seanblake 
#1 ·
So I have been using voip.ms for a few months with mixed results...

Basically, the wife is not happy and now i need to switch back to a POTS line again (Bell).

does anyone know if there are any issues porting a number from voip.ms to Bell?

#2 ·
Porting Problems

I've been trying to port my DID number out from voip.ms to TekSavvy (who re-sells Bell), and having nothing but problems.

TekSavvy tells me they need to know the Line Provider/CLEC that Voip.ms is using to complete the port, and Voip.ms refuses to tell me who it is, and says that my new provider's CLEC should be able to complete the port with only the number and my contact info.

I'd be interested to hear your experience!

#3 ·
I believe that our experience on the forum has been that you should contact the new provider who takes care of everything. Your old (current) provider should not be contacted because then you may lose the number if they "cancel" before the number has been ported. Obviously you will then receive the final bill from your old provider according to the terms of the agreement you have with them.

#4 ·
Keep in mind that a number that is pending cancellation cannot be ported - so if you are porting a number, you should initiate the port and NOT contact your current (old, whatever) provider before the port has been completed.

And 57 is correct: You shouldn't have to contact your current (i.e. old) provider for anything related to the port. If you followed the porting instructions on voip.ms' wiki to port to a new provider, that should be enough for Teksavvy. If not, then maybe it's a clue that you should look at another alternative.

#5 ·
Regardless of who's responsible, it was a painful process with both sides not being able to do much. If not for needing a POTS line, I wouldn't have wanted to port-out from voip.ms - their phone service is great, but dealing with their tech support has left something to be desired. Teksavvy has one of the cheaper POTS lines I was able to find, and I planned on going with them for internet anyway for a one-stop shop.

I was able to find the CLEC who has my number through a 3rd party service and provide this to Teksavvy, but it cost me a couple bucks to do so.

#6 ·
VoIP.ms works great if it's setup correctly... and this is left to the end user.. they only provide basic support.

To use VoIP.ms you need to know how to setup and program the ATA... or know someone that can do it for you.

This is why it costs so little... they are basically just providing you the SIP connection and DID.

BTW what kind of problems are you experiencing that upset the wife? I'm sure those problems could be resolved...
VoIP.ms can do everything and more if it's setup correctly.

#7 ·
Agree with HDTV101 - voip.ms has worked great for me.

The only reason I'm porting my number out is because I need a POTS line for an alarm system in a new house. Having my number on that line makes making and receiving local calls, and receiving long distance on the POTS line easy, and I don't have to pay extra for the routing through voip.ms. I still plan to route outgoing long distance through voip.ms because it's so cheap. Overall, I'll be paying more per month, so being able to save a few bucks on incoming or local, plus the monthly DID and e911 fees, without having to change my phone number is nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.