Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Refresh your receiver to restore missing channels and services

32K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  GaryE 
#1 ·
Hi, I wonder why but since last week I have to reset all my receiver ?

I went on the web site of Shaw direct and do a refresh for the second time this week ? I going to call Shaw to have some explaination.

#2 ·
Refresh

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem but the internet Self Serve refresh wouldn't work on a RX that I hadn't used for a year. Of course phoning only got me a busy signal. However I remembered that I had to tune to 299 when it was originally setup. Tried 299 with the Self Serve refresh and it worked.
Hope this might help someone else.

#3 ·
I phone and the tech told me that they have to check every receiver I have. I ask why ? he told me they have to check around 825 000 receiver to make sure every receiver is at the adresse of the owner. He told me it's gone a be long to do that but everyone will be ask to. I ask how do you know if the receiver are in the same adresse? He said by geo referencing ? I really doubt about it.

Anyway.

#4 ·
If the receivers phone home through their modems (or possibly network), and the ANI number is a POTS or cable phone number, it will have a verifiabe service address associated with it.

If Shaw phones you, they need some scheme like Bell's to verify the receiver in question is the one being accessed.

#5 ·
The method Bell uses for verification is to update a reference number on the receiver that must be read back. They call it a "location id" but it has nothing to do with location. The number is updated frequently enough that it's difficult, but not impossible, to provide all the numbers at the same time. I am guessing, but SD probably uses a similar scheme. This can be avoided by connecting the receivers to a phone line for verification using caller ID.

#8 ·
you can call up and get a home away from home package, they'll even ship you a dish for your cottage.
leaving a receiver there to be used by someone else while you are at another location is a no no.

#11 ·
I'm going to have to call them as I work for a living, but my wife has retired, she often stays at the cottage while I stay at home because of distant to work. Does anyone know what the cost is without the dish as I already purchased one to install? It is funny where I got the dish they never mentioned this when I told them it was for our cottage.

#13 ·
I'm not to familiar with the ins and outs of these receivers so I have a question about the receiver refresh.

Since the satellite mishap this week my receiver still hasn't started working properly and I was wondering if I should do a receiver refresh.

But my question is if I do a receiver refresh will it erase all my recordings?

#14 ·
The refresh won't erase anything. It just freshens up your receiver. You could also do a power reset if you haven't done so. Just press and hold the power button on the receiver for 5 seconds or so until it starts to reboot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.