Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

ATSC DVR & PVR Recorders (other than CM)

Tags
ota hdtv
345K views 730 replies 190 participants last post by  Jorgek 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I was wondering if anyone with a built in OTA tuner is able to record HD broadcasts using a regular dvd recorder? Or do I need to buy something with a Hard drive?

I imagine the TV will have to be turned on and tuned into the channel I want to record as well since the tuner is built in? I work swing shifts and might have to quit my job now that I am missing all these wonderful high-def broadcasts!

Somebody help me!:eek:

#159 ·
1. I have the clock set manually as PSIP clocks aren't even close. PSIP guide uses manual clock setting and works fine.
2. You can manually record regardless of PSIP and guide. You can record ATSC or NTSC channels, pick time, duration, and frequency. For frequency you can do M-F, Sat-Sun, once, weekly etc. If you have your clock set accurately and there is PSIP info, it puts the program name on your recorded file.
3. I have the TVIX box connected Ethernet to my router. You can specify up to 4 shared drives on the same or different computers. Once you figure out the language free symbols, you can copy recorded files to your computer hard drive with the remote. FTP doesn't work on large files, but is good for photos and music. I keep a copy of my digital photos on the hard drive and use FTP to copy them there.

When you copy files, they are large, so it takes a while. Format is *.tp and there are free downloads to convert to *.ts. Then there are programs to remove commercials and convert to MPEG. So you can do whatever you wish with your recordings. It also has AV input which I have a VCR plugged into. Input up converts, so VHS movies look pretty good. Press record and it converts them to MPEG files that you can burn on DVD's.

I don't think there is any computer OS on board. If there is, it would be a version of Linux.

#160 ·
My sister uses a "GO VIDEO model DV1030A", I believe it is a VCR, DVD combo (2004), does anyone know if this has an ATSC tuner and can be used between the antenna and analog TV for receiving digital channels OTA...

I think we read it mentions NTSC Color standard...

#162 ·
I've make a few posts this thread. The TVIX R3310 does all you ask. Tuner is ATSC/NTSC/Cable, recordings are transferable to a PC over network. Weak point is guide as it uses PSIP information. If you need a better guide you can use the DTVPalDVR. This uses TVGOS but doesn't work on a network. This has its own section to read.

#165 ·
I've been using the R3310 now for about 5 months and I've gotten rid of most of the quirks. One thing that irritated me was the A/V shutting off and restarting when 1080i programs showed 480i upconverted commercials. This seems to only happen with HDMI. I found if I used component video it works fine as long as the HDMI cable is not connected. Tuner is not as sensitive as Sharp Aquos but comparible to other TV tuners. If the Sharp signal is >60% R3310 picture is perfect. I only have one channel that is currently incompatible, 26-1,2. For some reason, if I tune this channel, it freezes and reboots. I removed this channel from the scan list. Otherwise, all channels appear clear with no anomalies in audio or video. Recording from PSIP guide works very nice, and channels without guide can easily be programmed. It has a manual clock option so OMNI's, City etc. don't mess things up. I like the multimedia functions for digital photos and camcorder movies, and if networked, these can be played right off your computer hard drive. Rumor has it that a dual ATSC tuner is in the works.

#166 ·
Roger1818,

You were saying ...
LiteOn will get out of the branded DVD recorder business.
About a year ago, I acquired a Lite-On recorder that uses DVDs as media.

Is there a retrofit that you (or anyone else) might know of that would allow me to add a hard drive (internally or externally) that would effectively give me a PVR instead of just a DVD recorder?

Ted

#167 ·
Is there a retrofit that you (or anyone else) might know of that would allow me to add a hard drive (internally or externally) that would effectively give me a PVR instead of just a DVD recorder?
It is highly unlikely that this is possible. Unless it was designed to use a hard drive, it is unlikely to include the software and hardware required to support a hard drive.

#171 · (Edited by Moderator)
ATSC/NTSC Tuner?

With the recent switch to all digital signals required by the FCC, there are still a few lower powered analog staions out there.

My question is:
Does anyone know of a receiver that has both a NTSC and ATSC tuner where I can receive both signals without having to switch between receivers. I will even settle for a receiver with a remote that will allow me to choose the signal input (ATSC or NTSC).

If anyone has a better suggestion or solution, please feel free to advise me........ the simpler the better.

Thanks....rocknroller....

#172 ·
I have a Panasonic DVD recorder (DMR-EZ27) that has both NTSC and ATSC tuners. You change channels like you would any other set top box. Connectivity is via HDMI.

Unfortunately, it can only record at 480i so it downconverts everything to SD, even when simply watching tv through the tuner.

#173 ·
There are several ATSC/NTSC combo devices for PC available too. Some are PCI cards, some are USB 2.0 plugin devices.

BTW do you have a TV, and if so does it have an NTSC tuner in it? You could hook up an ATSC box to one of the inputs and then just use the remote's Input selector to change between them.

#174 ·
HDTV equipped with ATSC tuner is the simpliest solution. I can't think of any current canadian model that doesn't have an NTSC tuner.

NTSC tuner is not 'dead' because some folks may still need it for analog cable.

The question is what is the default channel surfing model :

I prefer pressing "2" and the TV gets me 2-1 WGRZ. My big TVs all do that.

My little 19" ATSC LCD defaults 2 to analog 2, I have to press 2.1 to get me NBC. Thank goodness the channel list works though and weed out the analog and non-HD stations for me.

#177 ·
I think just about any current set can do that. I bought a Sharp HDTV last December and it receives both analog & digital. After scanning, it identifies all receivable channels and you choose accordingly. It doesn't make any difference whether you watch digital or analog.

#178 ·
Thanks to everyone for their help with this. I think Stampeder has the simplest answer in that I will get a dvd recorder with a built in ATSC tuner and connect it to one of the digital inputs. By the way, I am going to all this trouble because of the TV set I want to use. Some of you may remember the 40" Sony XBR which was the largest CRT ever built which has exceptional picture quality and that 400 LB. monster is what I am using.

Anyone have an idea on what brand and model DVD recorder w/ATSC tuner that will compliment this arrangement? If anyone sees a better idea please advise me as I am open to all suggestions. Thanks again.....rocknroller...

#180 ·
Maybe I'm not understanding the question fully, but if you want to receive both ATSC and NTSC on your TV, you already have the NTSC tuner in your TV so just get an ATSC converter box with analog pass-through. This will work if your TV is SD, not sure if you can do this with any HD capable digital boxes.

I have 2 of them for my older tv's. Tune the TV to ch3 and turn on the digital box for digital, turn off the digital box and use the TV for analog. You have to use 2 remotes but overall it will be cheap and simple.

#181 ·
Thank you members!

Dear ddDave & mr weather....Thanks for your input. What I am attempting to do is receive digital signal on the Sony XBR 40" set and to tune the digital channels, I must have an ATSC tuner...isn't that correct?

Now.... the converter boxes that everyone got via the FCC simply reconverted the digital signals back to analog so that the older sets with NTSC tuners could receive them (at least that is my understanding).... so I want to get a digital dvd recorder with an ATSC tuner and use one of the digital inputs on the set to receive the signal from the dvd recorder tuner. If I do this I will be able the receive both analog and digital signals by simply using the remote to select the input....either through the NTSC tuner in the set, or via ATSC tuner in the dvd recoder/player unit for the digital signals.

Am I making this unduly complicated, and is there a better or simpler way to accomplish this? If so, please let me know.

Locating a really good dvd recorder/player ATSC unit is my next step so I will try to locate the Panasonic unit per mr weather's advice but hopefully there are more choices available. If so, anyone who might suggest a source for the dvd recorder/player w/ATSC tuner, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again to everyone for your assistance and kindness.....rocknroller

#183 ·
There is a Panasonic DMR-EZ28 which is the newer model to mine and is apparently carried by 2001 Audio Video in the GTA. For the record, my EZ27 has component and HDMI output but as I indicated in an earlier post it downconverts everything to SD before passing it on to the tv.

There are ATSC set top boxes that offer component and/or HDMI outputs that will allow you to watch real OTA HD on your HD-ready tv. Boxes by Samsung and Zenith come to mind.

The vast majority of boxes, however, only output an SD or worse (analog via RF coax). You'll really have to do your homework to ensure you get what you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.