Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Why so much poker on sports channels?

3K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  The Watcher 
#1 ·
Why is there so much poker on the sports channels. TSN, sportsnet. Are they short on programming, for the life of me I can't figure out how they can call that a sport.

#9 ·
C'mon, nothing like a little poker, followed by darts and then some snooker.
Ahhhh... snooker... if only! Long gone are the days when TSN would give us coverage of many of the ranking tournaments throughout the year. Now all we have is (gasp!) 9 Ball (ack!)

It's like going from steady, healthy diet of Formula 1 to the boredom (and added trans-fats!) of Nascar (eeeewwwww...)

C'est la vie!

#10 ·
Do I consider Poker a sport? NO

Do I love to play it? YES

I play competitively in the Maritimes and find it a great GAME. Should it be shown on Sports channels? SURE

It is great to see pro players move with the cards they are dealt. Bluffing or check raising. Unless you play the game then you really have no idea. I find it is only on in filler time spots anyways...so why all the complaining? Saturday afternoon poker is a show that comes to mind. Big deal TSN and Sportsnet cover all the major sports and poker has a huge following so why woudn't they show it for the big tourneys.

Also for the record Golf is certainly a sport.

#11 ·
I dont mind poker on tsn, sn, thescore, as I actually dont mind watching it.

But the neverending replays is getting to me. SN is now on its 4th showing of the monte carlo millions, thescore showed the british open like 50 billion times, etcetc.

Sportsnet is also playing way too much Blackjack and its repeats.

Gotta love TSN and its cup stacking that was on today. :)

#13 ·
I was JUST about to make a thread on this topic. Lo and behold I find one already here.
Sheesh this morning/afternoon (sunday) I check out the guide on Sportsnet to find hours and hours of back to back card games:

ultimate blackjack tour
european poker tour
world heads up poker
poker superstars invitational

Does anyone really watch these card games on tv?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.