Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

FreeHD Canada (now BluSky) - Satellite TV alternative may be coming....

140K views 322 replies 117 participants last post by  BGY11 
#1 ·
http://www.freehdcanada.ca/

FreeHD Canada Inc. is a new Canadian Direct-to-Home satellite company that has developed a unique offering for the Canadian
marketplace. FreeHD Canada plans to offer a superior High Definition TV offering (more HD channels, better quality, less price) to consumers across Canada.

FreeHD Canada has applied to the CRTC for a licence, and is seeking approval to launch its service in early 2011.
Looks good, hope they get approval and can deliver on the promises.

More info here
http://www.cartt.ca/news/FullStory.cfm?NewsNo=8444

#238 ·
Time for BLUSKY to re-apply to CRTC

The fact that the buisness plan has now changed for FREEHD, now BLUSKY, they should have to re-apply for the licence.
They should just set up a deal with BELL TV or SHAW DIRECT like what Telus and Bell have already done, otherwise what difference are they going to bring to the table.

#239 ·
The CRTC denied FreeHD a licence based on their original business plan, so they already re-applied and were granted a conventional BDU licence. The terms that the CRTC set for free TV (for all BDUs) were so restrictive that it doesn't make economic sense (if it ever did ;)).

There were advantages for Telus to do a short-term deal with Bell. There aren't any for BluSky.

#243 ·
BluSky has just updated their website again. A little more info on their equipement and services.
re: post 240

where is their new info ? its all same babble but long winded - and doubt the equipment & pricing will show up on their site until at least early to mid 2012...ill wager it wont be cheap despite their claims...its all HYPE...i hope they pay for their lies

their initial application and approval was based on FREE locals (they stated 12-18 channels) depending on the region...what a crock if what i read in earlier post that they now abandonned their original plan and another post suggesting they should have to reapply now that none of this (locals) will be free? is BANG on...

the BDU's fought long and hard against this company during crtc hearings...imagine how they must feel NOW? knowing these guys are starting off on the wrong foot...i am very disappointed and was very much looking forward to the locals and THEN see if they would be worth jumping in with specialty packages...

the "digital switch" had NOTHING to do with this decision to scrap the FREE locals (if this is true) and i suspect this was all a ploy to simply get approved...so hey DAVE guess what you better secure your system cuz wanting to hack it now will be even more a project to screw you right back...expect an email from me on this, as well...we FTAers are sick and tired of liars like you

#245 ·
very sorry but mostly just venting and got carried away...i just hate cable/sat companies who continually lie and mislead...i was simply furious about the suggestion that there wont be FREEHD line up for locals as they originally came into this market with..and THAT is outright lying to the consumer IF its true.

I have so looked forward to another option especially after the digital switch and refuse to pay the outrageous prices these companies charge for the "specialty" packages

thats it, end of rant..i do enjoy the read on other matters, on this board, however

and im an FTA er NOT a thief just to set the record straight

#246 ·
I have just read this thread with interest.

It seems that many folks here are jumping to conclusions as to what may or may not happen with this upstart sat company. It's best if we simply wait and see what develops.

In the event that it turns out that the founder's intentions were always to lie/mislead its potential customers, then he'll have some problems making a go of this service. But, whether or not basic local service is offered at no monthly cost, the company will have to rely on income to survive especially in this competitive field.

I think the psychology behind the no charge channels is that if they offer a high quality receiver capable of 1080p and can transmit signals in that native resolution (!!!), the receiver will command a high price, and if customers are willing to pay that high price for a receiver, then many of them will likely want some additional channels for a monthly fee. Heck, if the service is exceptionally good, they may even steal many customers away from the current sat and cable providers, none of which offer native 1080p resolution.

Although not many (if any) viewers will be able to detect the difference between the various HD resolutions, psychologically everyone loves the idea of getting 1080p. I have a 1080p 60" LG screen and see no difference between an upscaled DVD and native 1080p resolution. I suppose it may be possible to notice the difference between 1080i and 1080p on two large screens side by side or on a larger screen like a 72", or on a large screen mated up with a device that has a poor quality upscaling algorithm, but not many folks would have any of these situations!

quickcurrent

#252 ·
It seems that many folks here are jumping to conclusions as to what may or may not happen with this upstart sat company. It's best if we simply wait and see what develops.
It looks like the skies have turned into a vacuum for BluSky HDTV. Don't expect to tune in to any BluSky channels any time soon, LOL.
Well, which is it?

#247 ·
imo, it is really advertising that will make them money. I think that they need to form a partnership with someone (example: Netflix or someone like that).

As I have posted a couple of times before, I did not think that these guys would ever get off the ground in the way that they were originaly targeting. So far, I have been proven right.

Also, as someone else has stated I think the CRTC will be having another look at their business plan and model into 2012 (for license purposes).

After speaking to the CRTC at length, both Dish Network and Direct TV have been welcomed into the Cdn market, but have chosen not to play.

I suspct the previous poster is somewhat correct in assessing the onerous restrictions that must be complied with before gaining entrance. I also think that the Cdn market in its present form is simply much too small. But, I also think that with changes at the CRTC next year, Canada will be even more open to foreign entrants.

I think that the CRTC was hoping that one of the two American companies would simply purchase an existing Cdn participant and then develop their business that way.

However, given the recent restructuring of the Cdn market (Shaw, Rogers - Cogeco), I really do not see that happening anytime soon.

And, over the medium I think that Bluesky will have a tough time making any in-roads. I wish them luck though.

#248 ·
Lots of confusing posts at the Blusky website removed. To be clear. The bluskyhdtv.ca URL is not functional. The site can still be seen at http://freehdcanada.com/

#249 ·
More posts removed. Please I have provided a link where you can visit the site.

If it continues to cause a problem, then please contact the company but lets not destroy this thread with back and forth over who and who can't reach the site.

#255 ·
I am not a hater but, personally, don't see BluSky getting anywhere. The initial offering, free HD, would have made an impact but it was easily neutralized by Shaw, as expected. It just doesn't make sense. The US market could not support a third HD satellite provider so how can Canada be expected to? Neither Shaw Direct or Bell TV make a profit on their consumer operations. (SD makes a profit after commercial revenues are added in.) BluSky will be negotiating with their direct competition for content. That's not an enviable situation. I would love to see BluSky be successful but I don't see a good business plan here. Maybe they have an ace up their sleeve but the track record so far does not indicate that.

#256 ·
It certainly was a great idea, and lots of hype from the start, but I really don't see it happening anytime soon, if at all.

For instance if you search `FreeHD Canada Facebook`
FreeHD Canada
The deadline is now over for submitting your comments to the CRTC in support of the FreeHD Canada application. Thank you to everyone who responded for your support. We will keep you posted on our progress an please keep letting us know your thoughts on what you want your new TV experience to be with FreeHD Canada.
Like · Comment · 13 November 2009 at 06:32
you can see it will be exactly 2 years tomorrow since their last entry. Can you just imagine what Customer Service will be like! Nothing for Shaw Direct or Bell TV to worry about.
.....But Alpha Star might be looking for company!

#257 ·
here is the latest!

c/p from my email correspondence to them...to all concerned
-------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

in your initial application to the CRTC your company stated that you would offer locals (approx. 15-18 channels) at NO COST providing I purchased a set-top rec and dish to provide the locals we (consumers) lost due to the digital switch...your company went at great lengths to make sure this was going to be the start and then offer the packages (specialty channels) to those who needed/wanted more

how is it that you can retract from this and no longer have this in your plans?

do you not realize how that feels? and how bloody awful these digital boxes with lousy antennas are to get our locals, now?

and should I complain to the CRTC about this empty promise your company made back in '08? to me that is no right. Pls tell me this is not so and just a rumour? - though your website has NO indicators either way - and/or offer a complete explanation as to why this is no longer in your start-up, plans? much appreciated.

regards,
concerned consumer
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello RD.

Thanks for your note.

While we are silent on this now, we have not ruled it out. For competitive reasons, we are withholding most product information until launch or sooner if we have a need to release it.

Since our original application, many things have changed on the business development front and we are currently re-assessing all our options for providing a widely attractive service. A Free Pack continues to be viewed as a possible offering along with several other options.

Thanks again for your comments.

Sincerely,
BluSky HDTV
---------------------------------------------------------------------

can only hope...cheers :rolleyes:

#259 ·
perhaps..but i read a whole lot of their application of back in 08 and even with the strong opposition, it appeared they had their own platform no matter what...now, some of the opposing players deff are still trying to push their weight but highly doubt that is the reason for this long awaited (delayed) launch though CBC seams to be involved

..i think its mostly to do with freeHDTV/ blusky who is playing coy...wonder what CRTC would say IF these bozos failed to offer the FREE locals, as was promised at the outset of their app. ? i am tempted..cuz if they fall short of this promise? well good luck with the rest of it. imho

#265 ·
They aren't just in the same strip mall as the Shoppers Drug Mart, they are in the Shoppers Drug Mart. Their office is simply a PO box rental.

I would love to see some real competition in the satellite TV space as much as the next guy but I'm very skeptical we'll ever see BluSky launch, and if we do it will be a lot later than summer 2012 (let's not forget the original launch was "early 2011").

I suspect all BluSky is at this point is one man's idea and he's trying to secure funding to take it further. Have a look at the CRTC license award from February 2010:

FreeHD is owned and controlled by Mr. David Lewis who holds 91% of the voting interests. The remaining 9% is held by Mrs. Krista Lewis.
So the company is PO box 100% owned by one man and his wife (I'm guessing it's his wife but it's obviously a relative at the very least). Sure, they got a license, but they say David Lewis has 25 years of experience in the industry and I imagine the process isn't much more than a bunch of paperwork. If he knows the industry well it's probably something he was able to do himself.

Again, don't me wrong - I would love to see some more competition but I just don't think BluSky is anywhere near being that competitor, despite their claims of a summer 2012 launch.

#263 ·
By just being in the game, BluSky will force Shaw and Bell to make major changes or lose customers to this innovative new company. I have been watching the development of "FreeHD" for some time. They have satellites in place for next summer according to "The Wire Report". ( I believe the link is already on here, if not I can post it.)

I like the attitude of BlueSky also. Look at this claim on their website.

"It gets better. We have a lot more to offer consumers, which will have to wait until summer 2012 to announce. We're preparing for launch as fast as we can, however we are always listening to Canadians who expect better choices, better customer service and overall better value. There will always be room for improvement. We appreciate hearing your comments and suggestions and ask that you send them."

More competition in satellite TV can only be good for we the customers. I hope BlueSky launches on time this summer (2012) and I for one will be cheering them on, and possibly changing providers, unless Shaw is able to match BlueSky's features and prices. I can't wait to see what they will be offering!

#267 ·
I've seen some good companies launched and owned by one or two people. However, the delays don't look good. We should have at least seen some promotional advertising for the Summer launch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.