Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

C Band - Anik F1R

7K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  derrick1985 
#1 ·
Hey folks,
I am looking into getting a decent Free to Air Satellite system, I getting tired of all this pay stuff and just want a little basic TV that doesn't actually cost anything per month. I know the upfront cost may be a bit but I've drawn the conclusion it's worth it.

First I intend to an Azbox Premium HD Plus Receiver since it basically does what I want it to do: DVB-S and DVB-S2 Mpeg 2 and Mpeg 4, QPSK 4.2.0, QPSK 4.2.2, 8PSK 4.2.0 and 8PSK 4.2.2.

I am hoping to start off at picking up Anik F1R at 107.3W since that bird seems to have some Canadian content. Channels like CBC, Weather Network. I see on LyngSat it also has CTV 2 for Atlantic, since I'm from Atlantic Canada that's great. I see on DocSat channel list that CJCH (CTV Halifax) is also on it, but is it still there? I don't see it on LyngSat, does anyone who pick this satellite up get that channel?

I'd also like to get a nice antenna too later and pick up what I can OTA.

Would an 8 foot dish work good to pick this satellite up? I would like to later get a motor to get other satellites but first things first.

Kind regards!

See less See more
#2 ·
8/ft is fine but a 10/ft or 12/ft is best with a motor. I see from 30 to 139 and get about 1000 or so channels, great sd and hd, I have a 10/ft c/ku dish motorized, I also have a Patriot 1.1m motorized ku-band dish.

#3 ·
Hey thanks for that. I've been looking hard to find a decent sized dish and the biggest I could find was 8 feet, how can one even ship something like that? haha. Does anyone have suggestions where you can get a 10 foot dish, I would like to use a motor on it, or, would 8 feet be sufficient. I live in south west nova scotia.

#4 ·
Haha...get in line. If you mean you're looking for a used 10-footer (like a nice mesh that could be disassembled into 4 sections for transportation), I've been looking for such for a long time. I drive the highways of NS/NB with my eyes on backyards almost as much as on the highway. NB has some in certain areas, but it's kind of far to transport from there to the HRM.

#5 ·
AnikF1 has a pretty strong signal for Eastern Canada so am surprised y'all are recommending a 10 footer for it. I wouldnt be surprised if this signal is the strong of all C-band signals for our area. IIRC, I did manage to briefly pull in a signal w/ my 1m mini-bud. Mind you the reception didnt last more than 10-15 minutes.

The Maritimes is the capital for unused BUDs. IIRC, Between Truro and Antigonish and Moncton/Rogersville both have more than a few begging to be snatched up.

I just remembered a promo from back in the late 90s. Folks would trade in their BUDs system (dish and receiver) for a new Expressvu system (model 1000).. this was before Bell bought Expressvu.

Cheers, K

#6 ·
NB maybe: I've seen them there. Not NS from my recent experience. Maybe they're not so easy to see at 110 kph when driving the 10X series highways where I spend most of my time. From Truro to the west on the side highway, I've seen many old white dishes in yards. And nobody advertises them for pick up or for sale compared with other regions in US and Canada.

#7 ·
One problem is not many people know these are still good for free tv so they dont bother selling it. My folks got rid of two mesh BUDs (house had a 10foot, cottage had an 8 foot mesh) because the local Expressvu retailer told them these were worthless. Worse case, when you see one, send the resident a letter or knock on their door... can't hurt.

tdti1--> which parts are you located? West Island? I can't see any other region w/ enough open space for a 10 footer.

Cheers, K

#8 ·
Does anyone here pick up Anik F1R? I can get an 8 foot dish and motor but not sure if it would be good enough to pick up other satellites. What channels do people get on the satellite?

There are a number of people in my area that have these 8 ft+ dishes, i should start asking around. A shame people think they're worthless, I'd put it to use :p

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.