Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Aaron Sorkin's The Newsroom. HBO June

5K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  rogue17 
#1 ·
Coming in June to HBO- Aaron Sorkin's The Newsroom.

I think I just found my new favourite show, and I havent seen an episode yet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC8ovJYAU3U

I loved, The West Wing, and the shortlived Studio 60... hopefully the show will fill the summer void.

#2 ·
Title lifted from Ken Finkleman's The Newsroom?

And plot lifted from the movie Network?

Nah! :p

Actually, it's another depiction of the frustrating world of modern television news. And it definitely looks interesting, especially with Bill Pullman in the lead. He delivered a credible performance in the miniseries "Torchwood: Miracle Day" and is becoming a highly versatile dramatic actor, a far cry from his "Dumb and Dumber" days.

#4 ·
Okay, I just checked their respective pictures.

Are they related?

Anyway, Hollywood Star Identification FAIL!!! :p

I'll watch at least the first couple of episodes. Hopefully, it's a series with a predetermined ending. I can't watch "long term" television series anymore because most get cancelled after 6 episodes, robbing you of a proper ending.

#9 ·
Looks like smart TV shows are coming back.

I've also seen the first two episodes of this well-written, well-cast show. As previously stated, if you like Aaron Sorkin's work on the West Wing, you will really like this show.

Finally, smart TV comes back. Heavy on the dialog, this shows doesn't "talk-down" to its viewers.

I'm glad to hear that HBO will keep this show going for at least two seasons. I just hope that it stays on HBO, and doesn't get transferred to a networked prime-time channel (ie: ABC, CBS, NBC, etc). Doing so would water it down to the point that it would become irrelevant and "sanitized" for the masses.

#12 ·
CSI was always a CBS show. They never moved it to the full network in Canada. That was a CTV decision. It has no baring because CTV isn't the originating channel.

I can't think of any show that jumped from HBO to a USA network. There has been talk in the past of Showtime shows jumping to CBS but they never materialize.

#23 ·
season 2 finale

I think this weeks episode was the season if not series finale. They tied up a few story-lines and closed the show on a positive.

I have to say that I loved this show! Aaron Sorkin returned to form with his strong dialogue full of wit and social critiques.

In Sundays episode, Will answers why he is a 'Republican'. I think his response should be blasted across the internet! It was awesome. Correct in the right ways and wrong in all the right ways too! :)

I will miss this ensemble, until it hopefully returns next season.

#24 ·
The last 10 minutes of the episode blew it my opinion, but it was shot before the first episode of season 2 started and I think Sorkin wanted to leave on a high note in case the show didn't get picked back up. Jeff Daniels said he has been told it will be but HBO has not officially announced it yet.

My gut says, it takes an extended hiatus since Sorkin has some other projects in the pipe and then all the nice bowties that were done at the end of season 2 suddenly start to fall apart.

#25 ·
ale, I loved the show. It is very smart, witty and well written.

The episode when the General has to have the TV on the game while being interviewed was classic. they thhought he had lost his marbles but he was smarter than they gave him credit.

As for the last 10 minutes of the finale, it looked and felt like a series finale. But I hope it does get picked up for a 3rd season. We need a show like this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.