Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums - View Single Post - OTA: Quebec & Atlantic Canada Parts, Sales, Service, Installers
View Single Post
Old 2006-10-11, 03:41 PM   #29
HDTV4free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
Did Raybel give any reason why they don't have them anymore?

If it's volume then maybe if we could organize a group buy of some sort I would be interested (as long as I can find somebody to install it on my tower, I'm afraid of heights... )
I called Addisson a year ago looking for a CM4228 and they told me that they didn't carry them anymore because CM wanted them to stock 10k units. Sounded like BS to me but who knows.

I finally found the CM4228 at Raybel and picked up a 9521A rotator as well. The first 9521A froze up over the XMAS holidays and I had it replaced under warranty. That worked fine until the weather warmed up, rain, then cooled down again. It worked fine again after it warmed in the spring so I'm assuming water got into the mechanism and froze. I slathered high quality silicone grease all over the boot two weeks ago. Fingers crossed that it doesn't freeze up on me again this winter. Your mileage may vary but I'm doubtful I'd ever buy another CM product again.

Anyway, I'm on the south shore of montreal and I pick up CBC and SRC HD when the antenna is pointed north and I get enough off of the backside of the antenna to pull in Mountain Lake PBS digital. I have to rotate the antenna south to pull in VPT digital. I probably should have just picked up two CM4228's and installed them back to back (would have been cheaper too). I have a Sanyo HT30744 with integrated tuner, which seems to work well except that the channel finder on the digital side has no manual mode. So you can't pick a frequency and the rotate the antenna to find a digital signal. You have to rotate the antenna to a particular position and let the TV do its little auto-scan dance, rotate, repeat. The price was decent though so I'm not going to knock it too much.